• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can fluid head be used from car window? (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I am the proud new owner of a Vortex Viper HD 20-60 x 85mm angled scope.

I will be using it both from the car and outdoors. I live in the Isle of Man which is pretty windy, however, due to a medical condition I can't actually walk very far, so mostly will be standing and looking through it, rather than hiking with it. I am only 4'11", so the car thing may be an issue, but the vortex body can be turned, I can sit on a cushion if I have to!

I am looking for a tripod, head and car window mount and was wondering could I put a mounting plate on the Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head and use it on both the Manfrotto 243 Car Window Pod and also a tripod like the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 (or 4) and would this be a decent set-up? I am happy to buy 2nd hand so budget maybe around £300-£400. I also use a Nikon P1000 so would use it for that too.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to gear, I have read the sticky thread and think I am along the right lines but not too sure.
Many thanks

Hi,
I have no experience of using a car window mount, though most who do so tend to prefer straight scopes. However, as you say it might be feasible to rotate the angled scope 90° in its collar.
The problem is that you need a pan and tilt facility on both the tripod and the car window mount and that the quick release plate on your scope should be compatible with both. It would be completely impracticable to have to screw the video head onto the Manfrotto 243 and then back onto the tripod again, and two identical video heads would be an expensive solution.
I see that there is an Arca-Swiss compatible car window mount from Vanguard, the VEO2PH-28WM but can find no source in Europe. This would accept the QR plate from a Sirui VA-5, Berlebach 510 or Gitzo GHF-2W video tripod head.
The Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 would be a good solution but if you are not carrying it far and could accept a little more weight a Berlebach 202 (without centre column) or Berlebach 122 or 222 (with centre column) would be cheaper and less vibration prone in strong winds.

John

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am the proud new owner of a Vortex Viper HD 20-60 x 85mm angled scope.

I will be using it both from the car and outdoors. I live in the Isle of Man which is pretty windy, however, due to a medical condition I can't actually walk very far, so mostly will be standing and looking through it, rather than hiking with it. I am only 4'11", so the car thing may be an issue, but the vortex body can be turned, I can sit on a cushion if I have to!

I am looking for a tripod, head and car window mount and was wondering could I put a mounting plate on the Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head and use it on both the Manfrotto 243 Car Window Pod and also a tripod like the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 (or 4) and would this be a decent set-up? I am happy to buy 2nd hand so budget maybe around £300-£400. I also use a Nikon P1000 so would use it for that too.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to gear, I have read the sticky thread and think I am along the right lines but not too sure.
Many thanks
Hi,
Simple solution to start with is a bean bag on the rolled down car window and putting the scope on it (securing with both hands). This allows sort of panning and tilting. The required eye level is adjusted by the amount of window roll down (plus bean bag thickness). There is also a more luxury version available by BERLEBACH, called "Carwindow bracket with panoramafunction and bean bag" (Carwindow bracket with panoramafunction and bean bag from Berlebach ® Tripods). However, I am not sure you will be too happy with an angled scope in a car window (as Tringa45 already mentioned). It is possible but aiming is tricky, especially with higher magnifications.
Regards,
Werner

Hi,
I have no experience of using a car window mount, though most who do so tend to prefer straight scopes. However, as you say it might be feasible to rotate the angled scope 90° in its collar.
The problem is that you need a pan and tilt facility on both the tripod and the car window mount and that the quick release plate on your scope should be compatible with both. It would be completely impracticable to have to screw the video head onto the Manfrotto 243 and then back onto the tripod again, and two identical video heads would be an expensive solution.
I see that there is an Arca-Swiss compatible car window mount from Vanguard, the VEO2PH-28WM but can find no source in Europe. This would accept the QR plate from a Sirui VA-5, Berlebach 510 or Gitzo GHF-2W video tripod head.
The Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 would be a good solution but if you are not carrying it far and could accept a little more weight a Berlebach 202 (without centre column) or Berlebach 122 or 222 (with centre column) would be cheaper and less vibration prone in strong winds.

John
Thanks for your reply John.
I hadn't heard of Berlebach tripods, will check them out.
Ah yes, I hadn't realised that I would have to screw the hea into both window mount and tripod, I thought it would attach to the release plate.
I have seen the Vanguard window mount online, that sounds like a good solution
Lindsay

Hi,
Simple solution to start with is a bean bag on the rolled down car window and putting the scope on it (securing with both hands). This allows sort of panning and tilting. The required eye level is adjusted by the amount of window roll down (plus bean bag thickness). There is also a more luxury version available by BERLEBACH, called "Carwindow bracket with panoramafunction and bean bag" (Carwindow bracket with panoramafunction and bean bag from Berlebach ® Tripods). However, I am not sure you will be too happy with an angled scope in a car window (as Tringa45 already mentioned). It is possible but aiming is tricky, especially with higher magnifications.
Regards,
Werner
Thanks for your reply Werner
I already have a beanbag for use with the camera, the Berlebach beanbag looks great, but a bit too high for my diminutive stature unfortunately. I find holding the scope in place difficult due to how heavy it is (and an illness that makes anything difficult!) I balanced it on the open window today and used it sideways, but it isn't very stable. I will check out other window mounts and a seperate tripod/head.
Lindsay

Thanks for your reply Werner
I already have a beanbag for use with the camera, the Berlebach beanbag looks great, but a bit too high for my diminutive stature unfortunately. I find holding the scope in place difficult due to how heavy it is (and an illness that makes anything difficult!) I balanced it on the open window today and used it sideways, but it isn't very stable. I will check out other window mounts and a seperate tripod/head.
Lindsay
Given your unusual situation, is there a possibility to return/exchange your angled 85mm Razor for the straight 65mm Razor?

The 65mm is lighter, and a straight version will be easier to use from the car. When walking around, for people of average height, angled scopes work better for viewing objects high up, but since you are short, the straight scope should be fine.

For something even lighter, the Nikon ED50 Fieldscope is well regarded. A straight version could serve as your car scope and be your walkabout scope for days when the 85mm Razor feels too heavy.

Given your unusual situation, is there a possibility to return/exchange your angled 85mm Razor for the straight 65mm Razor?

The 65mm is lighter, and a straight version will be easier to use from the car. When walking around, for people of average height, angled scopes work better for viewing objects high up, but since you are short, the straight scope should be fine.

For something even lighter, the Nikon ED50 Fieldscope is well regarded. A straight version could serve as your car scope and be your walkabout scope for days when the 85mm Razor feels too heavy.
Thanks for your reply. I wish I had asked the question before I bought the 85mm scope lol. I can't return it as I bought it 2nd hand on eBay. That said, I probably won't lose much if anything if I decide to resell it.

I got the Vanguard heavy duty window mount whch works quite well, and have ordered a 2nd hand Manfrotto 190CFPRO3 and MV500AH from eBay. The window mount works great in my hubby's Honda, in my Toyota I have to adjust the seat and use a cushion!

I can always review and resell the scope in future and swap for a straight or smaller objective lens if we don't get along. The good thing about getting 2nd hand is not depreciating too much. We don't really have an optica place locally where u can try things out before buying, I went with Vortex as I love my Razor bins and they have such a great warranty

Thanks for your reply. I wish I had asked the question before I bought the 85mm scope lol. I can't return it as I bought it 2nd hand on eBay. That said, I probably won't lose much if anything if I decide to resell it.

I got the Vanguard heavy duty window mount whch works quite well, and have ordered a 2nd hand Manfrotto 190CFPRO3 and MV500AH from eBay. The window mount works great in my hubby's Honda, in my Toyota I have to adjust the seat and use a cushion!

I can always review and resell the scope in future and swap for a straight or smaller objective lens if we don't get along. The good thing about getting 2nd hand is not depreciating too much. We don't really have an optica place locally where u can try things out before buying, I went with Vortex as I love my Razor bins and they have such a great warranty
Lindsay,
If you got the Vanguard car window mount I mentioned in post #2, then the quick release plate of the Manfrotto MVH500AH will not be compatible.
The whole point of quick release plates is that you dont have to fiddle with screwing things on and off your scope.
I'm also afraid that you will be disappointed with the performance of the Manfrotto 190 tripod in windy conditions.

John

Lindsay,
If you got the Vanguard car window mount I mentioned in post #2, then the quick release plate of the Manfrotto MVH500AH will not be compatible.
The whole point of quick release plates is that you dont have to fiddle with screwing things on and off your scope.
I'm also afraid that you will be disappointed with the performance of the Manfrotto 190 tripod in windy conditions.

John
Thanks John,

I sent a quick message to the eBay seller to see if it was too late to cancel, and he only uses arca Swiss so is chucking the plate in for me too! Phew...

I will see how I get on with, I can always resell the tripod and head, (and scope!) if I don't get along with them. I can procrastinate for ever, and get terrible brain fog when I try and learn anything - it's sometimes better for me to leap in and learn as I go :)

Thanks John,

I sent a quick message to the eBay seller to see if it was too late to cancel, and he only uses arca Swiss so is chucking the plate in for me too! Phew...

I will see how I get on with, I can always resell the tripod and head, (and scope!) if I don't get along with them. I can procrastinate for ever, and get terrible brain fog when I try and learn anything - it's sometimes better for me to leap in and learn as I go :)
If you do sell the Manfrotto head, consider the Sirui VA-5 to replace it. I have one, it supports my 80mm spotting scope just fine. Uses Arca Swiss plates so your scope can move between the Vanguard and Sirui easily.

Hi Lindsay,
I can understand that. All my past tripod and head purchases can be attributed to mistakes or just plain curiosity.
I had a nasty bike accident a few months back and set upon modifying my fixie to something more civilian. I've now got a stack of superfluous and suboptimal bike components! :(

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back