• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head for Swaro X115? (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

Just discovered that isn't possible to use both Manfrotto MVH502AH as MVH500AH with the X115 (without any extra pieces...).
I appreciate any users experience with the X115 with compact but robust heads that can handle >6kg.
Thanks.

Just discovered that isn't possible to use both Manfrotto MVH502AH as MVH500AH with the X115 (without any extra pieces...).
I appreciate any users experience with the X115 with compact but robust heads that can handle >6kg.
Thanks.

You cannot use mvh502ah easily, because you have to mount the scope to the plate with the plate into the head (or use it the head backwards) because the big objective prevents the scope to be mounted from the back of the head, and the pin on the head prevents the plate to be mounted from the front of the head. Additionally, you can’t move the scope towards you enough to be balanced, so the objective side will tip down if drag is not set high. All in all, not the best combination of scope/head. Maybe the second issue is not an issue given your variations.

But you CAN use the HDV500AH, as you can mount the plate from above, something that you cannot do in the 502.

As the head is sorter, the scope can be moved backward enough to balance it. Note that you must have enough pressure in tilt knob to avoid the scope tilting down when set out outside the horizontal, but it needs not to much force to be applied and the scope moves with easy, with the perfect drag to my liking.

I have just bought both and I’m testing them, but aside from the adjustable fluid draft in the 502, that is nice, I see it’s drawbacks for my application are higher than that tiny advantage, so I think I will be returning the 502.

Regards,

Antonio.

Just one clarification: I received the heads yesterday, so I have not field experience with them. Those are just my findings and feelings with a quite limited time of in home use. I just wanted to say that using 500 is possible.

IMG_3255.jpeg

But you CAN use the HDV500AH, as you can mount the plate from above, something that you cannot do in the 502.
Thanks Antonio. I didn't taught of that.
I tested the 500, that I will keep it for light travel setup, but isn't good enough for my "heavy" uses... I compared it to my my old 501 and wasn't satisfied...
The search continues so any further help is appreciated.

Depends on how heavy the head may be and how much you are prepared to pay. Sachtler makes just about the best video heads. They're darn expensive though.

Hermann

Hermann,
My limits are something similar to the Manfrotto MVH502AH, or smaller, lighter, less expensive and not Gimbal type.
Manfrotto also have better, heavier and more expensive video heads...
Saw here at BF a X115 user with a Sirui VH-10. Not sure if this model also accept Manfrotto plates, as the VH-6...

I’ve got a 3.5kg scope running at 75x with a mvh500ah head on some manfrotto 190legs. Bit wobbly when focussing, I am guessing that upgrading the legs to a stiffer set if probably the best initial option?

Peter

I’ve got a 3.5kg scope running at 75x with a mvh500ah head on some manfrotto 190legs. Bit wobbly when focussing, I am guessing that upgrading the legs to a stiffer set if probably the best initial option?

Peter
Yes. The Man 190 is supposed to handle 7kg (although Manfrotto mentions now a Safety Payload of 15kg...), but I would go for a tripod that can handle at least 14kg...
I've been using since many years Man 28 with 501 HDV, that were supposed to handle 14kg and 6 kg. The last samples I purchased weren't as good as the first, both the tripods and the heads... The producer specifications aren't always the best estimator of the quality of the product and as just mentioned, the same series can change quality...
I'm updating to a more travel friendly combo and got a lighter carbon tripod that can handle 20kg...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back