• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whichcar window mount? (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Hi everyone,

Having never used a car window mount before, I am wondering which one is best.

The Opticron looks the sturdiest to me judging from online photos.

I am also wondering if one without a handle would be better given the restriction on movement/space in a car. The now discontinued Leupold mount looks ideal in that respect, being a ball head.

Looking for opinions so what do you think? What do you use? Do you like what you use?

Thanks

Haven't ever been comfortable using one, even an older version Manfrotto unit where you could easily slide in the head and centre column. I find a bean bag flopped over the open glass or sill works best for me .

Last edited:
Just discovered this one which looks interesting. Arca swiss plate which I think means it will take the plate from my Benro S2 head which would be very useful.

I also like that the handle appears quite short.

Anyone got any experience of it?

Haven't ever been comfortable using one, even a Manfrotto unit where you could easily slide in the head and centre column. I find a bean bag flopped over the open glass or sill works best for me .
I must admit I think the window mount does look quite awkward. Perhaps keeping it simple (and low cost) with a bean bag is the way forward.

Thanks Pyrtle

I must admit I think the window mount does look quite awkward. Perhaps keeping it simple (and low cost) with a bean bag is the way forward.

Thanks Pyrtle
Try it, it's easy to make one with a few stitches into a small old cushion cover filled with rice, pearl barley or other grains / pulses. And if its unsuccessful you can reuse in a hearty winter stew.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back