• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can not identify Bird Song recorded in Erin Ontario Canada (1 Viewer)

On a few occasions I have heard a strange sounding bird call/song coming from deep in my backyard forest. Until this past weekend, I was not able to actually spot this bird but was able to record its' song/call (it's more of a three note call with two variations) with my Iphone, on a couple of occasions during this past Summer. Last weekend (Nov 20 ) I heard its' call again and stood and waited as it got closer. I was Winterizing the garden and did not have my Binocs with me ! I tracked it sonically as it traversed behind a large Cedar hedge and headed out toward a clearing above a river about 500 meters away from me where it perched in the top of a now leafless Sugar Maple . Since I was facing West in the late afternoon I could only see its; silhouette. Large bodied bird not unlike the size of an Eagle. While perched it started its' call again quite clearly. Three two syllable notes in quick succession Brr-Wark Brr-Wark Brr-Wark , about two times then switched to a variation of the previous but more one syllable like Plork pause Plork Plork .
After issuing a few calls this bird just kind of dropped off the top of the tree while unfurling its' large wings to fly away. I've watched Eagles launch themselves in much the same fashion. I have searched the bird song data bases and have not heard these calls associated with any bird. I have attached my recording of this song, so with your (fellow members) help possibly we can get this bird identified. Due to having warmer weather in Southern Ontario I have found some species that normally migrate are staying around longer and conversely some species are travelling further North during the Summer & Autumn. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
Best Regards, Jim & Audrey

Attachments

• Mystery Bird Call.mp3
    203.7 KB
I don't hear anything in the recording besides chip notes. Your description could fit a Common Raven.

I can - just about - hear it, as described, though it's way back in the mix (and hiss). It's certainly not the typical call of a raven, but corvids (crows, etc.) make all sorts of weird less-often-heard sounds.

Here is an enhanced clip of the bird in question. It sounds good for a Common Raven to me.

Attachments

• 1362272-c89b9b99f76bec169c9dd125261d1b00-2.0.mp3
    20.4 KB
I don't hear anything in the recording besides chip notes. Your description could fit a Common Raven.
Thanks Qwerty5 You've got it. I listened to the sound bites and those are the calls I have recorded. Sorry for the poor quality of my submission.
In the Summer we have a gang of at least six Ravens in our Mulberry tree feasting on the berries but always cackling and squawking and chattering to each other. None making sounds like I recorded. The bird seems to be always on its own when making these sounds with no replies from other mates ? Thanks again for helping me solve my mystery. Jim

Here is an enhanced clip of the bird in question. It sounds good for a Common Raven to me.
Thanks jmepler you got it. Common Raven. Apparently the species have over 30 song/calls/screeches and cackles HaHa. Watched a doc on Ravens on You Tube and bingo! The birds in the sanctuary were making my recorded sounds. I had forgotten what a bad rap Ravens got for being scavengers. Especially on the battlefields. There were seen as a bad omen for centuries. Equal to Vulture status I suppose, only more dramatic considering the Viking connection/ Thanks again for all your considerations. Mystery is solved. Jim

You think this is the normal and common call from a raven?

I wouldn't call it a normal call, but it is fairly common. I have heard it multiple times.

Ravens are quite interesting. I once heard one mocking a barking dog. Every time the dog barked, the raven would mimic it in tone, cadence, and count. The dog was quite upset by this, while I imagine that the raven was amused by the whole thing.

I wouldn't call it a normal call, but it is fairly common. I have heard it multiple times.

Ravens are quite interesting. I once heard one mocking a barking dog. Every time the dog barked, the raven would mimic it in tone, cadence, and count. The dog was quite upset by this, while I imagine that the raven was amused by the whole thing.
My Raven came around again yesterday, announcing his presence with his signature sounds. All alone, once again. I wonder what he's up to. Could be looking for a mate maybe or looking for his flock ?? ?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back