• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x30 IS II first views. (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
These arrived today. I've spent about a half hour with them on my porch, watching Robins and squirrels. I am quite impressed. I already own an 8x20 IS, and I wanted just a bit more magnification. The IS works great. I was worried that having to hold down the button would be a pain, but it's really no big deal. My middle fingers rests naturally on the button, and it doesn't take much pressure on it to activate the IS. The button doesn't have to "bottom out" to engage the IS. The IS kicks in after maybe a second.

I've heard that some people hate the eyecups. I love them. They fit my eye sockets perfectly, and cut out just about all light. I guess my bone structure is perfect for this type of cup. The focus wheel is very smooth. Although they could have made it a little longer. But it's fine.

Very nice views. Plenty wide for a 10x, IMO. Quite sharp all the way to the edge. I did my test on a sign across the street that has large and small print. Only at the very edge there was just the very slightest loss of sharpness. Impressive. Colors are natural. Close focus seems to be around 13 or 14 feet.

The case is pretty sub standard. They could have done a little better. But it will keep dirt and dust off, so it's better than nothing.

These are a nice compliment to my 8x20 IS. They are larger, and heavier, but the increase in magnification, and larger objectives are a big plus. The the 8x20 IS is great for portability. While not huge, these have quite a bit more mass to them.

All in all, I'm quite happy with them. Having IS has been a game changer for me. I can see so much more detail since I can stay on a subject for a long time with no movement. I like watching planes, and IS allows me to see all of the logos and numbers. I'll be taking them to the park later and see how many birds are out.

Is8cFZm.jpg

toCHAd7.jpg

Do enjoy!

I'm extremely happy with my 10x32s. Two different sorts of stabilization, one press of the button leaves IS on for 5 minutes, IS powers off after 10 seconds if the bins detect they're hanging vertically (saving wear and tear on the IS button(s). The stabilization is superb, and one or two other things are pretty good. BUT (and it's a big one) they're not waterproof. I've been flatbound for ten years (apart from a couple of fair weather outings with my able-bodied brother). So that's no problem at all for me, my twitching career ended after around 1995. The barrels are "bottle shaped" and my hands fit nicely around them. Cravings for high end optics are met by Swaro 10x42 SVs, but I just can't hold them still.

I agree about Canon's IS eyecups! They're almost universally despised, but I love 'em.

Do your new bins have the soft-touch coating? You may be aware that some people have reported a tendency for such coatings to become sticky over time. In particular, see post #10 here. I haven't encountered the issue as yet with the 10x32s or 18x50s, and some people never get it. Apparently it helps if you leave them exposed to circulating air rather than keeping them in their case, and that's what I do. They go in the case only when transported away from home.

Before image stabilization, I had a cheap Sigma 500mm f/7.2 photographic lens with soft touch coating. My interests turned to other things for a few years, so I wrapped the lens securely in polyethylene bags to preserve it from harm and put it in a cupboard. When I did unwrap it, the coating had deliquesced into a sticky goo, and the lens had to be thrown away.

IS has become a game changer for me too. You'd expect decent optics to last a lifetime, but if for any reason mine did become unusable, after say 10 years, I wouldn't be happy, but would still buy the same ones again.

Last edited:
The Canon's are infamous for the armour to melt and get sticky over time. Be careful about getting sunscreen and bug repellent on them also. Canon has never corrected the problem either, as far as I know. I heard the solution is to soak them in Isopropyl Alcohol and rub all the exterior coating off. From Canon website discussion. Canon 10x30 IS Sticky Body.

Binoculars.jpg

Last edited:
You would think that Canon would have addressed this by now. I've heard that Deet and sunscreen products can act on the "rubber" causing it to go soft. I personally know someone who has owned a couple Canon IS binoculars for ten years or so, with no sign of the rubber getting soft. I'll take care and not expose these to any chemicals, and I will keep them exposed to the air so they can "breathe".

I have an old Canon 30D camera that has gotten "sticky", but nothing too bad. It's probably a similar rubber material.

This morning while having coffee on the porch, I watched Robins pulling worms from my lawn. These binoculars are really fun to use. A steady image reveals SO much detail. It really is a game changer. It's like looking with my eyes, but way up close.

I have had many plastic non-binocular items get sticky over the years. I am yet to hear a good explanation of why some products have this problem and other identical products don't. Not everyone with Canon binoculars have had this problem. But, some do.

I just went to use a tripod with a plastic handle last month that was sitting in my garage in the open air for years. It was a sticky mess. I had to throw it away.

I'm glad my 5 year old Canon 10x42L binoculars don't have this problem. They are the best binoculars ever created in the history of the world in my opinion.

I will more than likely get the 10x42L at some point. The L glass on my camera lenses is really really good.

You would think that Canon would have addressed this by now. I've heard that Deet and sunscreen products can act on the "rubber" causing it to go soft. I personally know someone who has owned a couple Canon IS binoculars for ten years or so, with no sign of the rubber getting soft. I'll take care and not expose these to any chemicals, and I will keep them exposed to the air so they can "breathe".

I have an old Canon 30D camera that has gotten "sticky", but nothing too bad. It's probably a similar rubber material.

This morning while having coffee on the porch, I watched Robins pulling worms from my lawn. These binoculars are really fun to use. A steady image reveals SO much detail. It really is a game changer. It's like looking with my eyes, but way up close.

DEET should be kept well aways from binoculars, camera equipment and synthetic clothing - it's a member of the tolune chemical group - plastic solvents.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back