• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x30 IS stabilised binocular sticky covers (2 Viewers)

They're
Yep, only some seem to be affected.

BTW, your pair is ancient ... :) How much did you actually use it over the years, and do you have any problems with dust inside? One of the locals here has got an old pair (>10 years with a lot of use) as well, and his pair is pretty dusty inside. Doesn't affect the view though, at least not much.

Hermann
They are not ancient if I use them regularly and enjoy them :)... I have a number of pairs of binoculars, but only the Canon 10x30 IS, Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70 get much use, but it was a huge mistake to buy the latter as the individual eyepiece focusing is just so annoying (BTW I have the Fuji nebulae filters for them, but LED street lighting has rendered them pretty useless...)...

They're

They are not ancient if I use them regularly and enjoy them :)...
Great. BTW, my remark about them being "ancient" was sarcastic, as quite a few people here say they won't touch the Canons "because the electronics won't survive more than a few years" ...

Which is obviously nonsense.

Hermann

Mine must be going on 18? Or so and the rubber went ugh a few years back, never seen any deer and not as much use as I got some wider field and lighter weight binos in recent years. I just polished the stickiness off with IPA wipes and it’s perfectly usable (though with some rather bald spots).

Peter

I have had a dispute with canon over this same subject with my 12x36mk2.
Although out of warranty they seemed to be implying that they were not aware of any such problems with the coatings. After many emails with some with estimate of £400 to repair or a new replacement pair with 25% discount, I agreed to have them sent back unrepaired. With a kind offer of free return postage from canon. This was last year, I also have a pair of Bushnells that predates the Canons by several years with absolutely no problems just goes to show more expensive isn’t always better. Needless to say my advice is if you want a pair of bins with IS try elsewhere, I also changed my loyalty to Canon and got rid of all my camera gear which was considerable.
I was and am disgusted with Canon.
Kind regards Mike
It's certainly not exclusive to Canon. I have over the years had to remove the sticky coating from a number of different makes of binoculars and telescopes.

It's certainly not exclusive to Canon. I have over the years had to remove the sticky coating from a number of different makes of binoculars and telescopes.
I've seen this in all sorts of gear. Hairdryers, power tools, a small shortwave radio, torches. From different manufacturers, including some very well known ones.

Hermann

I've got an easier solution. UV light removes the stickyness. Put binoculars under a UV lamp for 24 hours, and the stickyness on the directly exposed surfaces will be gone.

I've got an easier solution. UV light removes the stickyness. Put binoculars under a UV lamp for 24 hours, and the stickyness on the directly exposed surfaces will be gone.
Your suggestion sounds very interesting. What type of lamp and what wattage do you use?

Which binoculars have you used the UV technique on and have there been any detrimental effects such as the delamination of the optics as suggested by Binastro.
Stan

Last edited:
This is a quick update for my 12x36 IS IIs that had this problem with the sticky coating--Canon wanted me to ship it to them, and pay them $253 to recoat them and I said, "No way! Return them. This is your manufacturing problem and a defect."
Here are my bins (Before and after): I used lots of elbow grease with 90% isopropyl alcohol, paper towels, and a toothbrush and bought some Dragon Grips to provide them the grip they lost.
Happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• Canon 12x36 IS  II Bottom Before.jpg
    Canon 12x36 IS II Bottom Before.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 26
  • Canon 12x36ISII Before.jpg
    Canon 12x36ISII Before.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 420522558_10232032365012385_8359799820077067745_n.jpg
    420522558_10232032365012385_8359799820077067745_n.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 420552764_10232032364812380_1167389257812304872_n.jpg
    420552764_10232032364812380_1167389257812304872_n.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 26
This is a quick update for my 12x36 IS IIs that had this problem with the sticky coating--Canon wanted me to ship it to them, and pay them $253 to recoat them and I said, "No way! Return them. This is your manufacturing problem and a defect."
Here are my bins (Before and after): I used lots of elbow grease with 90% isopropyl alcohol, paper towels, and a toothbrush and bought some Dragon Grips to provide them the grip they lost.
Happy to answer any questions.
Nice!

Well I never!
I promised to try and get some info for a friend and stumbled immediately on this thread.

My friend has just been loaned two pairs of Canon 10x30 image stabilised binoculars for an upcoming trip overseas.
Bought possibly 8 years ago by her sister and husband on a trip to South Africa.
She took them down our new wetlands to try them out, said they worked well but then realised the pocket of her raincoat was covered in black sticky goo, resulting in her having to throw her coat away. The other pair are similarly covered in goo.

If they want to use them, removal of the sticky mess is achievable?
Solvents such as isopropyl alcohol, anything else?

I'm not sure they will try and sort them, they might simply return the loan, but I can pass on this information.
thanks peeps
Q

I had the same problem - sticky goo making the Canon binoculars unpleasant to use and possibly leaving the residue on clothes etc.

I had a UV station setup for COVID sterilizing and in a magic moment of inspiration I wondered if that UV light might do something. After all, well used binoculars get plenty of sunlight, (with UV), whereas unused ones don't.

So I tried it and it worked! Unbelievable.

It's been a few months since I did it and they are still non-sticky.

I exposed them for 24 hours.. Some technical details attached. I believe Amazon sell a UV lamp for sterilizing rooms. Go to Amazon and search for "UV Lamp Philips". I think my home brew system was better in that I could foces the UV more on the binoculars using aluminum foil.

One thing: TAKE CARE. UV LIGHT CAN BE DAMAGING TO EYES. I always leave the room when using the lamp with a remote on/off switch.

Attachments

• IMG_2990.jpg
    IMG_2990.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 16
  • My UV-C Ray Gun Design.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 9
Well I never!
I promised to try and get some info for a friend and stumbled immediately on this thread.

My friend has just been loaned two pairs of Canon 10x30 image stabilised binoculars for an upcoming trip overseas.
Bought possibly 8 years ago by her sister and husband on a trip to South Africa.
She took them down our new wetlands to try them out, said they worked well but then realised the pocket of her raincoat was covered in black sticky goo, resulting in her having to throw her coat away. The other pair are similarly covered in goo.

If they want to use them, removal of the sticky mess is achievable?
Solvents such as isopropyl alcohol, anything else?

I'm not sure they will try and sort them, they might simply return the loan, but I can pass on this information.
thanks peeps
Q
A bit late to the party, but depending on the extent of the gooey areas, I skipped the elbow grease and just applied Dragon Grip tape to the gooey areas.Still adhering nicely after @ 8 months.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back