• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300mm 2.8 is ii (1 Viewer)

barnstormer

I am thinking of buying the canon 300mm 2.8 is ii but was wondering where everyone thinks is the best place to buy one. I have had a look at T-Dimensions on Ebay @ just under £4700 but am concerned at the possibility of import charges does anyone have any suggestions ?.

I am thinking of buying the canon 300mm 2.8 is ii but was wondering where everyone thinks is the best place to buy one. I have had a look at T-Dimensions on Ebay @ just under £4700 but am concerned at the possibility of import charges does anyone have any suggestions ?.
I have bought several lenses etc from Kerso, always excellent service and back up

Hdew and Panamoz.com as well, I have heard decent reports about both. I bought a new Canon 70D from Panamoz.com with no problems

I recently bought a 5D3 from Hdew and they are a good company to deal with but if you look at their site they are only advertising half a dozen Canon lenses and none are 'big whites'. Kerso (Flash Cameras) is also good to deal with but again he does not show the 300/2.8 on his site although I think he will quote for any lens if you give him a shout.
Never dealt with Panamoz but again if you look at their site they do not show any of the big whites.

Iv Bought from most of the above and not had a problem but it does seem odd some of the big whites seem to have come off some site's .

I would want to know they are in stock ready to go.

Rob.

I bought the 300 2.8 isii from Calumet London near Euston Station. Very good price at the time, good trade in and a showroom VERY close to a mainline station where I could go and try out various lenses before a final decision as their lens hire shop is in the same building. Good trade in price for my old 300 f4 valid for six months after purchase of the new lens. And very helpful staff (jamie). Also bought from Kerso and Hdew with no problems.

Michael.

The prices seem very high at the minute if they are in stock at all. igadjit are showing £5400. I am getting to the stage where I'm trying to get one second hand or maybe the 500mm f4 but they are like rocky horse shit to get a hold of. Suppose it's right place right time.

I've recently bought a 300mmf4, not f2.8, used Wex who are excellent, I don't recommend simplyelectronics as Paypal transaction then delays and items not actually in stock.

I suspect that some of the grey importers are not listing these big primes as they at harder to gethroih customs unnoticed. Some of them will declare a low value on items to try and avoid any dutyneeding to b paid. It is much easier for a small package like a 50 f1.4 to get through than a big package like a 300 f2.8. It is worth remembering that you as the customer are classed as the imported and are responsible for declaring the items and paying duty. If you don't do this you are committing tax evasion so could end up in trouble...

If you buy through someone like Kerso or HDEW then they ship from a UK address so should have dealt with the importing issues before shipping to you. If you do godown this route make sure that you request a VAT receipt as HDEW only supply these if requested.

If you do decide to go for a 500 f4 then I have a friend who is planning to sell his so I could put you in touch with him if you like.

New Lens

Bought my 300 2.8 from Park Cameras in West Sussex, usually hold a few in stock, good to deal with but not as competitive on price as Flash Camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back