• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon 7d wanted (1 Viewer)

Hi Vern

HDEW are the best bet, bought mine late last year with 3 year warranty and free delivery. Could not fault the service.

Shane

There is a catch here. The 3 year warranty will be with HDEW only. As it is a grey import it will not be covered by Canon's 1 year International warranty. So any problems with the camera will require you to send it back to HDEW. Now I believe HDEW are a cut above the likes of Simply Electronics in these situations but you could still be looking at a much longer turnaround time for the camera to get fixed.

I wouldn't even mention Simply Electronics in the same sentence as Hdew. There is no comparison.
Hdew fulfil the criteria set out in the OP. How they do it is another matter and the judgement Kingfisher-kid has to make.

I wouldn't even mention Simply Electronics in the same sentence as Hdew. There is no comparison.
Hdew fulfil the criteria set out in the OP. How they do it is another matter and the judgement Kingfisher-kid has to make.

You may not but a Grey Importer is still a skanky Grey Importer! Personally I would not buy from one at all.

You may not but a Grey Importer is still a skanky Grey Importer! Personally I would not buy from one at all.

Sounds like sour grapes. I knew my (now) 2 year old 7D from HDEW was a grey import but I still have some sort of warranty on it and £300+ in the bank to boot!! As others have said they're no Simply Electronics & at least have a UK shop/address & will give you a VAT receipt if you ask. In my experience not so skanky ..:smoke:

Chris A.

Sounds like sour grapes. I knew my (now) 2 year old 7D from HDEW was a grey import but I still have some sort of warranty on it and £300+ in the bank to boot!! As others have said they're no Simply Electronics & at least have a UK shop/address & will give you a VAT receipt if you ask. In my experience not so skanky ..:smoke:

Chris A.

Good on ya!

Not sour grapes at all, far from it, I bought mine from one of the UK retailers that I look after in my day job and probably paid what you did for a Genuine UK Stock model. I love my 3yr+ 7D. You are just lucky that nothing has gone wrong with it.

Good on ya!

Not sour grapes at all, far from it, I bought mine from one of the UK retailers that I look after in my day job and probably paid what you did for a Genuine UK Stock model. I love my 3yr+ 7D. You are just lucky that nothing has gone wrong with it.

you make it look like grey imports are inferior to uk market products

you make it look like grey imports are inferior to uk market products
They are not necessarily inferior, it is just a lot of manufacturers do not recognise the the third party warranty and may not service it. This is certainly the case with Sigma UK who will not service Grey Imports. I just prefer to be able to take it back where I got it from and have it serviced in the UK by the manufacturer. If that comes at a price then it is one I'm prepared to pay for piece of mind.

If you are happy to go down the "grey" route then you could try Digital Rev, there you can pick one up for £699, I know it's not a great saving over what's already been quoted (£715) but every little helps as a certain shop tells us.
They will also pick up the import duties if you are stung for them, but they ship them
over as a gift I believe to try and get around the import duties.

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-7d-digital-camera/NzQzMg_A_A

Tim.

If you are happy to go down the "grey" route then you could try Digital Rev, there you can pick one up for £699, I know it's not a great saving over what's already been quoted (£715) but every little helps as a certain shop tells us.
They will also pick up the import duties if you are stung for them, but they ship them
over as a gift I believe to try and get around the import duties.

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-7d-digital-camera/NzQzMg_A_A

Tim.

I'd be very cautious of ordering from any grey importer, especially after a couple of them have been caught selling Canon cameras with fake serial numbers on them - this not only voids any warranty but Canon won't even repair them if you pay. So if something goes wrong you could be left with an expensive paper weight.

As for them marking items as gifts to try and get around import duties (never sure why this should work as duty is due on gifts anyway), this is completely illegal. If you purchase direct from abroad you are classed as the importer and are responsible for declaring it and paying the duty and VAT. If you don't it is you who has broken the law and if caught they can charge you duty or seize the goods and fine you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back