• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF 400mm f4 DO IS USM Lens (1 Viewer)

I just looked at the images again. Neil, have you dialed in the focus of the lens with your 7D? Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the lens is front focusing a tad. The dirt (garbage?) piles in both images almost seem sharper than the birds themselves.

Jason,

I've had a chance to review both images in DPP, and on viewing the AF point I have found that for the adult-type bird, the AF point was on the lesser coverts, not the eye! Hence the impression of a bit of front focussing. What good eyes you have! For comparison, I've attached a Med Gull for which the AF point was spot on the eye. See what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0463_ed.jpg
    IMG_0463_ed.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 309
Jason,

I've had a chance to review both images in DPP, and on viewing the AF point I have found that for the adult-type bird, the AF point was on the lesser coverts, not the eye! Hence the impression of a bit of front focussing. What good eyes you have! For comparison, I've attached a Med Gull for which the AF point was spot on the eye. See what you think.

Neil, I agree the focus looks right where it should be on this last one. Ultimately it's difficult to answer a question regarding IQ with any lens if there aren't other shots to compare to from the same photographer. I say this is regards to the fact that nearly everyone seems to do some sort of PP, or in camera custom setting that sets their images apart from others. I'm guessing, at least, that birders with serious levels of equipment seldom post images in untouched fashion for presentation sake. Therefore it's hard to find such images for comparison online. I've seen some really dynamite images from other 400 4 DO lenses, where I would never think the dreaded "lack-of-contrast" issue even exists. But is that because of PP? Hard to say. I suppose if the detail info is there it may be the shooting conditions that are making the biggest difference.

That said, this last shot looks better than the first two, to my eyes. It looks as though it was taken in sunlight, so maybe a factor. If you had the time, would you be able to post a couple of 100% crops, both from a cloudy shot and a sunny shot? I'm not an expert, but sometimes the answers to the contrast can be seen better at the detail level.

You also mentioned being happier with shots on less dreary days. A couple of those to compare to might help.

Neil, I agree the focus looks right where it should be on this last one. Ultimately it's difficult to answer a question regarding IQ with any lens if there aren't other shots to compare to from the same photographer. I say this is regards to the fact that nearly everyone seems to do some sort of PP, or in camera custom setting that sets their images apart from others. I'm guessing, at least, that birders with serious levels of equipment seldom post images in untouched fashion for presentation sake. Therefore it's hard to find such images for comparison online. I've seen some really dynamite images from other 400 4 DO lenses, where I would never think the dreaded "lack-of-contrast" issue even exists. But is that because of PP? Hard to say. I suppose if the detail info is there it may be the shooting conditions that are making the biggest difference.

That said, this last shot looks better than the first two, to my eyes. It looks as though it was taken in sunlight, so maybe a factor. If you had the time, would you be able to post a couple of 100% crops, both from a cloudy shot and a sunny shot? I'm not an expert, but sometimes the answers to the contrast can be seen better at the detail level.

You also mentioned being happier with shots on less dreary days. A couple of those to compare to might help.

Hi. Here are two shots, one in sunny and one in overcast conditions. For each, I've attached the full image resized from 3,456 px wide down to 800 px; and a full sized crop of just 800 px out of the image. In neither have I added any post-camera adjustments. The in-camera image adjustments were all per 7D defaults. I think the real test will be to photograph a black and white subject (like the GBBG at the head of this thread) against a complex background in both sunny and overcast conditions in order to get the fairest comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0440_#1_fullresize.jpg
    IMG_0440_#1_fullresize.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0440_#1_fullsizecrop.jpg
    IMG_0440_#1_fullsizecrop.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0444_#2_fullresize.jpg
    IMG_0444_#2_fullresize.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0444_#2_fullsizecrop.jpg
    IMG_0444_#2_fullsizecrop.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 204
Why thinking the lens are faulty? Have you have try it on other body? Some 7D have softness issu, I return one myself. I found that the mega mega pixel APH-C format render the image more flat than a one from one like a 20-30D

I am using the same combo (7D with 400mm DO + 1.4X) and found no problem with any lack of contrast. Used it extensively with the 1D MK3 as well, same good results. Can't wait to try it on the 1D MK4 very soon. Visit my website to see more DO shots.

Attachments

• TpuffinX.jpg
    TpuffinX.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 247
  • shovler7.jpg
    shovler7.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 251
  • kingfisher7.jpg
    kingfisher7.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 268
Neil, may I ask you how you're doing with the 400DO now? I am seriously considering buying this lens.I'm not strong enough to lug the 500m around and I don't drive so this really limits me. I have the 300f4 which I love and sometimes use with the 1x4 converter and the 100-400 zoom which I really don't like using much. Hate the push-pull mechanism and the lens hood!
I had the opportunity to handle the DO lens over the weekend at a photo convention and it felt lovely! Ideally I'd like to hire it before buying but nobody in The UK hires it out so I'm reading people's comments who use it for wildlife and bird photography.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I shoot Raw so the contrast issue isn't a worry.I'm more concerned about sharpness. Many thanks, Rosie.

Ideally I'd like to hire it before buying but nobody in The UK hires it out so I'm reading people's comments who use it for wildlife and bird photography.

That sounds surprising, I wonder why.
Anyway, have you considered the 300mmf2.8 IS as well. Your circumstances sound very similar to mine and I opted for the the 300mm (well that and I couldn't afford the 400mm!) and I love it to bits. Plus think about what other goodies you could buy with the money saved.

Just a thought.
Adam

They also have a 300mm f5.6 lens?? , as well as a 800mm f3.6 sigma lens

yeah a few typos on the website, the shop has been around for years but they have only recently set up the website, I guess it needs checking. They only have a few Canon lenses for hire but they do include the 400 DO and a 300 f4...

A huge thank you for your replies! I'm still grappling with the problem but you all gave me interesting pointers.
Adam: I'm so weedy the 300m 2.8 feels pretty hefty....lovely sharp lens that it is! I did hire it last summer but half way through a day at the London Wetland Centre I off loaded it onto a mate!
I did phone the Norfolk Camera Centre but they want me to come and collect it and bring it back.As I live in London and don't drive, that was sadly the end of that! Still, at least they had it!!
Jacobs don't hire it but they have it in stock at their New Oxford Street store. When I phoned them and asked if I could actually TOUCH it before I parted with my hard earned dosh (pension lump sum actually)I could feel a definite frisson! What is it with retailers in this country? You'd think they'd be gagging for your money! How do they ever hope to sell anything!? So, bloody minded woman that I am (!) I gave them a sniffy response back!
I guess it's going to be a leap of faith with Warehouse Express then.On line anonymity.

Sorry, rant over! And, seriously, thank you all so much for your time, advice and suggestions. I'll let you know what happens!
Rosie.

Did the Norfolk Camera Centre give you any prices?

Don't assume that Warehouse Express are always cheapest. I have found some good prices on Amazon.

I searched the Web and came across a "second hand" one advertised on a shops website. I rang them up and discovered that it was demo lens that had not sold or even been taken out of the box. Not only that but if I ordered it and did not like it I could send it back for a full refund. It turned out to be two years old but as new with over £1,000 off the then new price and a couple of grand off today's price. I tried a couple of shots and they were very sharp so I kept it and it takes a 1.4 converter very well, auto focusing with a 40D and now 7D plus converter, love it even if not exactly light. What I am saying is have a good Google around, you might hit lucky.

Amazon don't seem to stock it! NCC's price was fine. The hire price quoted was a bit steep by Fixation standards (£350 for a week...oh come on!).I agree about WE: they're price for this lens is not the cheapest...but I'd pay over and above not to encounter the attitude!!!!
I'm going to continue to coast around and see what happens.I just think it's astonishing that you have to work so hard to part with so much money!! I suppose I'm just a "grumpy old woman" type!!!
Thanks for your time, anyhow. This forum is always so supportive.

Nice one , Mike.Park Cameras had a second hand one but they said it had been repaired and was a bit knocked about so it put me off!! I'm glad you like the lens though. I've only found one person on line who doesn't really rate it and that's Juza (and I really rate his opinions on many things) but,unlike me, he doesn't need to worry primarily about lens weight;there's a picture of him holding the 200-500 2.8!

Thanks for your imput!
Rosie.

Jacobs don't hire it but they have it in stock at their New Oxford Street store. When I phoned them and asked if I could actually TOUCH it before I parted with my hard earned dosh (pension lump sum actually)I could feel a definite frisson! What is it with retailers in this country? You'd think they'd be gagging for your money! How do they ever hope to sell anything!? So, bloody minded woman that I am (!) I gave them a sniffy response back!
I'm so sorry to put you though that Rosie.
I've bought most of my kit from their store in Newcastle - most friendly & good service (maybe a northern thing ;)). I may well think twice about recommending them again, down south anyway :-O.
Maybe a change in management mind, they've just shoved up the price of the 7D by 50 quid. Can't be done with the hassle in bringing it down - their loss for trying it on, oh - & Jessops.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find one .

Last edited:
Nice one , Mike.Park Cameras had a second hand one but they said it had been repaired and was a bit knocked about so it put me off!!

I was just having a look at that lens this morning. Yes, it does have a few scratches on it. I didn't ask them to get it out for a close look as I was worried that I'd be going home £3950 lighter. But I can hear it calling out to me as I sit here typing. I sure hope somebody buys it soon.

No, don't apologise.And I'm not sure it's a north/south thing either!!!It might be a male/female thing but at the end of the day, i think it's just one or two miserable individuals!!
Oh well, we'll see....
Rosie

I was just having a look at that lens this morning. Yes, it does have a few scratches on it. I didn't ask them to get it out for a close look as I was worried that I'd be going home £3950 lighter. But I can hear it calling out to me as I sit here typing. I sure hope somebody buys it soon.

That somebody could be you! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back