• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS 1D MK II (1 Viewer)

Cliff

I use a Canon EOS 1 D MK II camera, with the latest Firmware for bird photography. I shoot in RAW format and use SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB and iPro Compact 2.0 GB Flash cards. I am delighted with the camera apart from one problem.

When I am in High Speed Continuous Drive Mode and I take a few frames continuously, sometimes but not always, the camera locks up, and the access lamp stays on. The only way to get the camera working again is to remove the battery. This is very inconvenient when I am using a remote release to fire the shutter. I presume it is something to do with the buffer being unable to transfer the images quickly enough to the cards and then locking up the camera.
I have contacted Canon; the camera is unfortunately out of warranty!!! All they did was give me a list of their authorized service centres without any reference to it being a fault.

I don’t know whether it is a design problem, or a fault with my camera. Has anybody experienced this problem with their 1D MK II, and how did you cure it?
Regards
Cliff Jones

Have you tried a faster card ? something like an extreme3 is only 18 quid from play.com ? it may help the buffer clear more quickly ?

Thanks Ian it’s well worth a try. Fixation charge between £130 to £190 plus parts for a EOS 1D servicing or a major overhaul. OUCH!!!

Cheers Cliff

I have Ultra II's and iPro's (what a con) 40x and 100x which I use with a IdIIN and although they are a lot slower than Extreme III's, particularly the iPros which were recommended by a certain WExpress reviewer, I have never had the camera actually lock up so I am not sure that a faster card will do the trick but maybe worth a try

You say that sometimes it locks up. Is it always with the same card by chance? I had a Sandisk extreme II that I found to cause that problem on occasion. I got a free replacement and have had no problems since. I think the camera was trying to save to a faulty location on the card and hung up on that.

how odd i have the same problem with thoses setting's just now and then it locks up red light on and also erro99 shows it clears when i take the battery out .
it happen's only when in 8fps and seems to be when im light on the shutter button i.e perhaps when trying to just take 2 or 3 shots .
Rob.

how odd i have the same problem with thoses setting's just now and then it locks up red light on and also erro99 shows it clears when i take the battery out.

What lens are you using? Any TCs or extension tubes? Have you checked that the pins on lens (and TCs/tubes) and body are clean? Error 99 is often due to a lens failure, non-branded tubes/TCs or dirty pins on the lens/TC/tube or camera body.

My 70-200/4 recently packed up: error 99 on a 1D2N, a different number on a 20D - I had a Canon 1.4x TC and Kenko extension tubes attached at the time...removed everything and still the errors. Different lens - no sign of the error. 1 week later, 70-200/4 is fine...fingers crossed it was heat or something!

Good luck :t:

Perhaps check that your firmware is up to date. I have a vague memory that there was a problem with some cards that was fixed by firmware update. I'm not positive but it would be useful to check on.

What lens are you using? Any TCs or extension tubes? Have you checked that the pins on lens (and TCs/tubes) and body are clean? Error 99 is often due to a lens failure, non-branded tubes/TCs or dirty pins on the lens/TC/tube or camera body.

My 70-200/4 recently packed up: error 99 on a 1D2N, a different number on a 20D - I had a Canon 1.4x TC and Kenko extension tubes attached at the time...removed everything and still the errors. Different lens - no sign of the error. 1 week later, 70-200/4 is fine...fingers crossed it was heat or something!

Good luck :t:

I too have a 1DII N and it had to go back when I got error 99. I had been using a friends 100-400 with an option to buy and the camera worked perfectly. When I took the lens off the camera and returned it to my 500/4 I encountered ERR99. The camera DIED. It had to be sent back to Canon who had to replace the ALL of the circuitry on the camera.

Cliff

Just a thought though, is your Ultra II a GENUINE card, because if it is an OEM card this may be the cause of your errors

it seems to mostly happen when the canon 1.4tc is on and 500f4isL .
i have cleaned all the contatc's - it does not happen often or every time but rather anoyoing when it does.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back