• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot Cameras for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Keith

My A95 arrived this morning, Its obviously imported from Canada as the manufacturers warranty is Canada only. Looks like 7DAYSHOP do their own warrantly. There is a separate warranty sheet which I havn't completed reading yet. Very misty, so no shots through scope today!.
I dont have a digiscoping adaptor yet. I found that a 35mm film container ( different containers have different inside diameters ) with a hole cut in the base, cut down until the camera lens housing is 1mm from the bottom at maximum extension, then wrapped around with tape until it fits snugly inside the scope eyepiece keeps the camera centred and away from the eyepiece optic when being handheld. At x2 zoom the lens is the furthest away from the eyepiece and from what I remember there is no vignetting. I did some test pics with the A80 and put them in another thread close to a years ago!
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=9897&highlight=Canon+Powershot

Last edited:
Das,

are you using your camera on Infinite focus? If you do that and focus only from the view on the LCD it might help.

Alternatively, try Macro mode (apologies if you've already tried these suggestions).

I don't think the screen shade/magnifier would be an option for the A95, because the LCD is a fold-out/swivel affair, and I can't see a quick, straightforward way to attach a magnifier.

Alan,

I've followed your successful "hole in a film canister" approach with interest for a while now, and I'm certainly not averse to going down that route, but I'm finding a real problem with finding a suitably-sized bit of plastic tubing.

The camera end is no problem, but the zoom on the Zeiss is the size of a soup tin - I imagine it would take a whole role of tape to produce a snug fit with the EP!

;)

Last edited:
Thanks Keith for reply. I tried both macro mode, which works fine and infinite focus. A thought has just crossed my mind. Just about all my experimentation with digiscoping has been carried out using scope/camera in the living room looking through double glazed patio doors. The camera could be picking up reflections I had not noticed in the glass which maybe is putting the focus out. Weather being fine tomorrow I'm up to Symond's Yat to have a peer at the peregrines and try a few shots. Dave

Hi Fanch,
Very Nice pic of the Bald Eagle. I received my canon powershot A95 today. I have no prior experience in digiscoping and I would like to do some digiscoping during my weekend birding trip. Unfortunately I will not get enough time to go through camera manual and experiment different things. Could you tell me which camera knobs to turn for taking good digiscoping picture. I don't have any adaptor for the camera so I will be using it hand-held and will be using Zeiss 85mm scope.
If others have some suggestions I will appreciate it.

-Ashu

fanch said:
Hi,

In the last week, I bought the canon powershot A95.
And I have some wonderfull results with this camera, I think that the big advantage of this canera is that you can use manual focus. If you set manual focus in infinity postition, on the LCD screen there's a zoom on the zone you want to focus. Furthermore, on the A95, you have nine different position for focus. And after you have just to turn the knob of the spotting scope to have a good picture and it's very quicker than with an autofocus.
I take an exemple, if you have some branches near the bird and if the bird is a little far, i think that with an autofocus, it's quite impossible to take a good picture.

And the A95 have a rotating LCD screen, and it's very very usefull.

Sorry for my english

Francois

picture : zoom 20X, bald eagle at ~ sixty meters

My adapter for Canon95A and Zeiss scope

Hello,
This is my adapter for my ZeissFL85 and a Canon95A when I need more clear picture taken with my simple ring adapter.Its work better and I need more adapter for the cable release shutter.

Attachments

• CompleteSet.jpg
    CompleteSet.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
I am sorry for late reply Keith Reeder & posto126.The adapter for my Zeiss eyepiece was done by my mechanic help.Our design at first was turning to fit to 56 mm.adapter as you can see in the picture.Its not work well because I have to spend more time before my shutter release.Now it is bayonet fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2971A.jpg
    IMG_2971A.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3314B.jpg
    IMG_3314B.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 177
  • P1040291A.jpg
    P1040291A.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
im ordering my canon A95 on monday!

it's my birthday next week, so i want my camera before then, got a few days off work, so i will be testing it out and getting used to it as soon as it comes.

i should have it by tuesday or wednesday!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back