• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot sx50 (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
I have noticed that my trusty SX50 has started to take longer to lock in to focus. Is this a sign that the mechanisms are getting old? Can it be fixed economically? It would be a shame to lose the camera as it's a great bit of kit for walking-about birding.

Yeah, I agree about it being a handy walk-about kit. I currently have an SX-70 that I use for days I don't expect to really need the bigger 7D kit. Just to address the obvious, are you sure your battery is up to snuff? The Powershot line does tend to use up batteries quickly and I have seen mine start displaying problems with not wanting to lock on focus when the battery gets down to 25% or so. I had to give up on one non-Canon brand battery after only about a year of occasional use. The focus gearing on those is probably all plastic, so even the slightest amount of contamination sneaking in could easily trash the drive train. I had it happen on a point and shoot that had many years ago. Being an engineer, I took it apart and cleaned it and got another year or so out of it before it happened again and I changed over to a Canon Rebel. My guess is that the repair would be too high to justify for a low cost camera like that and Canon might not even offer repair service for it. Wouldn't hurt to check it out though. I had Canon do an inspect and clean on my 7D once and it was well worth the cost, in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back