• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot SX70 HS review (2 Viewers)

Leave it to you, crazyfingers, to dig past deep into the why's and how's of the Canon SX series. Thanks for your efforts to solve the SX70 puzzles.
Dragged my feet in replacing my SX50 which has multiple aging problems, including the IS button seldom working and very slow start up. Your posts will have me reconsider the SX70.

Steve

From a review on YT (didn't took note of the link and now I don't find it..), I learned that the SX70 on 4K results on a focal length increase over the FHD videos. From the example, I estimated an increase of about 1,346x.
Does anyone knows the crop factor from photo to FHD video?

In past, this was one of the best result camera. But now for the purpose of photoshops, many of advance options are in the market. But yet those who have it can use it and get appropriate outcomes. Overall, the review of this one is up to mark too.

In past, this was one of the best result camera. But now for the purpose of photoshops, many of advance options are in the market. But yet those who have it can use it and get appropriate outcomes. Overall, the review of this one is up to mark too.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

After a few weeks now experimenting, I started noticing a few things. What got me started was that when taking a photo with the SX70, the image would appear very focused in the EVF but when shown an almost instantaneous image of the photo after the shot, they almost always appeared less focused. I start to get irritated why that was happening. I also noticed that SX70 photos are a lot less noisy than the same shot taken with the SX50. To me this was a puzzle. I'd have expected that with the 22.3 MP chip on the SX70, vs the 12 MP chip in the SX50, that the SX70 would be more noisy.

This got me thinking about how the SX70 may be smoothing the JPG too much when it saves. With a cooperative bird, like a cardinal, the SX50 was frequently getting better feather detail than the SX70. So was the SX70 smoothing more aggressively?

After some searching I came to this thread at DPSreview SX70 HS - Scarce PicStyle settings, idea of Sharpness settings combined with amount of NR: Canon PowerShot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Specifically page 115 in the user manual on this "Customizing Colors (Style Settings)". This is all there is in the user manual. Contract, saturation or other settings. Searching the user manual for the word "sharp" or "sharpness" gets zero hits. Poor user manual. So under the pencil and S, press Info button and you can adjust the sharpness, and 3 other settings. The default sharpness is in the middle and I pushed to up to max. This can be saved under C1 or C2 along with all the other settings I use.

So outside this morning, two comparison shots of the top of a large tree with leaves and berries. Both of these images are taken with each of the camera's maximum reach and with the 2X teleconverter and then cropped to about the same area.

I took several photos with each camera and chose the best of the lot for each to attach. Most of the SX70 shots were actually better than the SX50 shots. I have not yet found a cooperative cardinal to try this on a live bird yet but the SX70 is getting improved results on other static objects like the tree leaves below. I am also really surprised that the SX70 is not noisier than the SX50.

Of course this is ideal conditions. I know that both cameras will fall down when the lighting is not perfect but that's expected.
Photos:

1. Page from the user Manual
2. SX70 photo
3. SX50 photo
View attachment 1389495View attachment 1389496View attachment 1389497
This was incredibly helpful!! I was getting desperate as my SX50 is slowly but surely wearing out. Almost all of my shooting is birds and the SX50 has been amazing for many years. I thought it would be great to move up to the SX70. A friend who hasn't really been using his let me borrow it to test out. I did a lot of fussing with and just couldn't really get a decent photo. Read your comments with immediate positive results. Still a few little issues, but I'll very comfortably upgrade now to the SX70. Phew! Thanks!!

Shot the attached image after reading your post and following the advice.

Attachments

• E7B8DFD5-777C-484B-AADB-D7C470809079.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
This was incredibly helpful!! I was getting desperate as my SX50 is slowly but surely wearing out. Almost all of my shooting is birds and the SX50 has been amazing for many years. I thought it would be great to move up to the SX70. A friend who hasn't really been using his let me borrow it to test out. I did a lot of fussing with and just couldn't really get a decent photo. Read your comments with immediate positive results. Still a few little issues, but I'll very comfortably upgrade now to the SX70. Phew! Thanks!!
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

After a few weeks now experimenting, I started noticing a few things. What got me started was that when taking a photo with the SX70, the image would appear very focused in the EVF but when shown an almost instantaneous image of the photo after the shot, they almost always appeared less focused. I start to get irritated why that was happening. I also noticed that SX70 photos are a lot less noisy than the same shot taken with the SX50. To me this was a puzzle. I'd have expected that with the 22.3 MP chip on the SX70, vs the 12 MP chip in the SX50, that the SX70 would be more noisy.

This got me thinking about how the SX70 may be smoothing the JPG too much when it saves. With a cooperative bird, like a cardinal, the SX50 was frequently getting better feather detail than the SX70. So was the SX70 smoothing more aggressively?

After some searching I came to this thread at DPSreview SX70 HS - Scarce PicStyle settings, idea of Sharpness settings combined with amount of NR: Canon PowerShot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Specifically page 115 in the user manual on this "Customizing Colors (Style Settings)". This is all there is in the user manual. Contract, saturation or other settings. Searching the user manual for the word "sharp" or "sharpness" gets zero hits. Poor user manual. So under the pencil and S, press Info button and you can adjust the sharpness, and 3 other settings. The default sharpness is in the middle and I pushed to up to max. This can be saved under C1 or C2 along with all the other settings I use.

So outside this morning, two comparison shots of the top of a large tree with leaves and berries. Both of these images are taken with each of the camera's maximum reach and with the 2X teleconverter and then cropped to about the same area.

I took several photos with each camera and chose the best of the lot for each to attach. Most of the SX70 shots were actually better than the SX50 shots. I have not yet found a cooperative cardinal to try this on a live bird yet but the SX70 is getting improved results on other static objects like the tree leaves below. I am also really surprised that the SX70 is not noisier than the SX50.

Of course this is ideal conditions. I know that both cameras will fall down when the lighting is not perfect but that's expected.
Photos:

1. Page from the user Manual
2. SX70 photo
3. SX50 photo
View attachment 1389495View attachment 1389496View attachment 1389497
Huge thanks on the "sharpness setting" find. I am the person who has posted many of the reviews of the Sx70 found here in this thread with links to my blog, but I had not discovered the sharpness setting adjustment. Well done!

I have now tried (very successfully) the Topaz AI Sharpen tool with the Canon SX70, however I suspect results using any other Super Zoom Bridge Camera would mimic what I achieved. My blog post includes the before and after full resolution images. Browse to my blog (I am the person who started this thread). Here is a screenshot from my test. The settings for this particular Great Horned Owlet image were: Aperture Priority - ISO 200 (hard set) - 1/100th of a second exposure. The photograph was taken on a sunny day, but in heavy shade.

TopazAI-Sharpen-1.jpg

I got myself a second SX70 because I'm uncertain that Canon will keep making them, if they still are and the whole market category seems saturated and I tried a Nikon Coolpix 900 once and I hated it. I'm sure that the Coolpix 1000 is even huger.

So I have two good SX70's.

I got myself a second SX70 because I'm uncertain that Canon will keep making them, if they still are and the whole market category seems saturated and I tried a Nikon Coolpix 900 once and I hated it. I'm sure that the Coolpix 1000 is even huger.

So I have two good SX70's.

To Anyone:

I just purchased a Canon Powershot SX70 HS, but didn't purchase any accessories... any suggestions?

It makes sense to purchase an extra lithium-ion battery pack... the Canon LP-E12 ... so, that is already on the list.

I already had a SanDisk 64 GB Extreme SD Card. It doesn't seem like I would need another card, but not sure.

A lens filter is certainly a high priority. The SX70 does not have any threads on the inside lip or outside lip of the lens. There is only a series of ribs on the inside lip and some ridges on the outside lip.

The lens only measures about 50 mm in diameter, but there is a 67 mm filter adapter for it ... the Canon FA-DC67A . So, I will need to purchase a 67mm filter, correct? Why such a large filter? ..... so consequently, I will need to purchase a 67mm lens cap (right?).

And there is a lens hood available also ... the Canon LH-DC90. But apparently the lens hood cannot be used at the same time as the lens filter ... which seems to make the LH-DC90 rather useless for me, since my first priority is to get a lens filter (mostly, to protect the lens) and I don't plan on taking the lens filter off and then on, over and over.

Maybe others here would buy the lens hood instead of the filter? It seems like it would be a good idea to get a lens hood for the camera, but since it will not fit when the lens filter is on, it doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe there is another lens hood option to use for the SX70 with the filter adapter and filter in place?

I may be opening up a can of worms by asking, but any suggestions on the type or brand of lens filter (Hoya, Tiffen, or ____ )? There are so many types and brands and they vary from $10.93 to over $100. My thought is a UV filter that protects the camera lens, but doesn't (hopefully) create any additional image quality issues. ... The Heliopan 67mm SH-PMC Protection Filter looks like a very good filter ... but rather pricey at $95. It is made of Schott glass, brass filter ring, dual-threading, and is multi-coated back and front (seems like nice specs, but not sure if they make a big difference (like the Schott glass) ... or if they are necessary for me).

I am considering purchasing a monopod, so any suggestions on a make or model? I prefer the type with the clamp legs instead of the turn knobs... just a personal preference. I was thinking that Sirui made a tripod where you could remove one leg for a monopod, but not sure how practical that would be (if they still make one).

And a head to go onto the monopod? ball head? pan/tilt?... it seems like a ball head would loosen up over time.... but not sure, maybe they all loosen up over time.

A camera case seems like a low priority for me, not sure I need one, but maybe I am missing something.There is a neoprene camera case for the Canon SX70 made by MegaGear that looks interesting. We already have a camera bag.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Dennis

Many filters degrade the image quality. It may be better to have a lens cap or put the camera in a bag for protection.
Niels

To Anyone:

I just purchased a Canon Powershot SX70 HS, but didn't purchase any accessories... any suggestions?

It makes sense to purchase an extra lithium-ion battery pack... the Canon LP-E12 ... so, that is already on the list.

I already had a SanDisk 64 GB Extreme SD Card. It doesn't seem like I would need another card, but not sure.

A lens filter is certainly a high priority. The SX70 does not have any threads on the inside lip or outside lip of the lens. There is only a series of ribs on the inside lip and some ridges on the outside lip.

The lens only measures about 50 mm in diameter, but there is a 67 mm filter adapter for it ... the Canon FA-DC67A . So, I will need to purchase a 67mm filter, correct? Why such a large filter? ..... so consequently, I will need to purchase a 67mm lens cap (right?).

And there is a lens hood available also ... the Canon LH-DC90. But apparently the lens hood cannot be used at the same time as the lens filter ... which seems to make the LH-DC90 rather useless for me, since my first priority is to get a lens filter (mostly, to protect the lens) and I don't plan on taking the lens filter off and then on, over and over.

Maybe others here would buy the lens hood instead of the filter? It seems like it would be a good idea to get a lens hood for the camera, but since it will not fit when the lens filter is on, it doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe there is another lens hood option to use for the SX70 with the filter adapter and filter in place?

I may be opening up a can of worms by asking, but any suggestions on the type or brand of lens filter (Hoya, Tiffen, or ____ )? There are so many types and brands and they vary from $10.93 to over $100. My thought is a UV filter that protects the camera lens, but doesn't (hopefully) create any additional image quality issues. ... The Heliopan 67mm SH-PMC Protection Filter looks like a very good filter ... but rather pricey at $95. It is made of Schott glass, brass filter ring, dual-threading, and is multi-coated back and front (seems like nice specs, but not sure if they make a big difference (like the Schott glass) ... or if they are necessary for me).

I am considering purchasing a monopod, so any suggestions on a make or model? I prefer the type with the clamp legs instead of the turn knobs... just a personal preference. I was thinking that Sirui made a tripod where you could remove one leg for a monopod, but not sure how practical that would be (if they still make one).

And a head to go onto the monopod? ball head? pan/tilt?... it seems like a ball head would loosen up over time.... but not sure, maybe they all loosen up over time.

A camera case seems like a low priority for me, not sure I need one, but maybe I am missing something.There is a neoprene camera case for the Canon SX70 made by MegaGear that looks interesting. We already have a camera bag.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Dennis
Strongly endorse the idea of a lens hood instead of a lens filter or lens cap. I found that caps or filters were at best a pia, plus they could accumulate condensation in bad weather, ruining the image. The hood protects, even in light rain or snow, as well as for modest impact.
RE memory cards, am a believer in keeping cards. I sort mine by trip, it is a minimal expense and a no brainer backup. Just copy them to your regular computer at the end of each trip.
Re batteries, have at least three sets, the knock offs are fine in my experience and way cheaper. Having a charger allows you to recharge one set while bringing a spare to what is in the camera. If you luck into a mixed flock, you don't want to run out of juice.
Skeptical of monopods or tripods, they are extra stuff and extra weight, especially for a camera user. Still, I use a Velbon Super 8 monopod with a knockoff RRS-30 ballhead for my little Nikon ED-50 scope. The monopod combo serves as a walking stick when not in use, so it pays its way.
I use a MegaGear case for my little Sony RX-100, it is a robust and convenient belt carry. The SX-70 case would be rather larger, probably needs to be carried bandoleer style, would not be ok in pouring rain unfortunately.
Enjoy your camera, please post your pictures here!

Strongly endorse the idea of a lens hood instead of a lens filter or lens cap. I found that caps or filters were at best a pia, plus they could accumulate condensation in bad weather, ruining the image. The hood protects, even in light rain or snow, as well as for modest impact.
RE memory cards, am a believer in keeping cards. I sort mine by trip, it is a minimal expense and a no brainer backup. Just copy them to your regular computer at the end of each trip.
Re batteries, have at least three sets, the knock offs are fine in my experience and way cheaper. Having a charger allows you to recharge one set while bringing a spare to what is in the camera. If you luck into a mixed flock, you don't want to run out of juice.
Skeptical of monopods or tripods, they are extra stuff and extra weight, especially for a camera user. Still, I use a Velbon Super 8 monopod with a knockoff RRS-30 ballhead for my little Nikon ED-50 scope. The monopod combo serves as a walking stick when not in use, so it pays its way.
I use a MegaGear case for my little Sony RX-100, it is a robust and convenient belt carry. The SX-70 case would be rather larger, probably needs to be carried bandoleer style, would not be ok in pouring rain unfortunately.
Enjoy your camera, please post your pictures here!

Great thoughts and suggestions.
Thank you much.

Maybe others here would buy the lens hood instead of the filter?

I take good care of my camera, always have the strap 'round my neck so it doesn't drop, clean it regularly and so on. But, when you're out taking pictures, in the heat of the moment it's easy to forget your surroundings and bump your camera into something. I would undoubtedly have damaged the glass on my camera without the lens hood being attached. Another thing you may want to think about is cleaning the glass. When I first bought a camera I listened to Chris Bray on YouTube, Aussie fella who works for the National Geographic, he said don't bother cleaning the glass as you're likely to cause more problems than you solve. If it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me so I never clean the glass. I see people taking pictures without a lens hood: that wouldn't work for me, and I suppose it depends on how you use your camera.

I am considering purchasing a monopod, so any suggestions on a make or model?

Dennis

I bought the Three Legged Thing monopod and I was impressed with how easy it is to use and how still it keeps the camera. I never use it though because I'm the type who likes to walk rather than stand in one place, and so a bit of a waste of money. Depends on how you take pictures really and the places you go in terms of how useful its going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back