• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX30 or Fuji HS10? (1 Viewer)

Secret Twitcher

Apologies if this has already been dealt with but as a newby to photography I would really appreciate a little simplification and advice. I have decided to buy myself a camera and having been very impressed with a friends HS10 I thought my mind was made up. However, since then I have done some reading and viewed images taken by both cameras and am swaying towards the SX30.

I wondered if anyone would able to summarise the positives and negatives of each to help me decide. What does one do that the other doesn't and is the SX30 worth the extra £140?

Subjective, I know but any thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers

I got the HS10 purely to identify birds when I got home as I am a birding beginner and I am very pleased with it so far. I intend eventually to learn about all of the settings but at the moment I am just using the automatic settings and I am very pleased with the results.
The 2 pictures were taken at full mag and hand held.

Attachments

• redwinglast.jpg
    redwinglast.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 226
  • redwingsmall.jpg
    redwingsmall.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 265
From those shots it would appear that it is only really suitable for ID purposes, not sure what iso was used, but the noise is pretty bad.

I ordered an SX30 which arrived yesterday. It's going back tomorrow. I was an SX10 user until it failed on me and I was very happy with it, but the IQ of the SX30 is not even close to that. From what I see of lab images there isn't much to choose between the SX30 and HS10 so I'm now looking to get a second hand SX10 or go down the DSLR route.

Video performance was pretty good but I couldn't cope with the poor photo performance.

I got the HS10 purely to identify birds when I got home as I am a birding beginner and I am very pleased with it so far. I intend eventually to learn about all of the settings but at the moment I am just using the automatic settings and I am very pleased with the results.
The 2 pictures were taken at full mag and hand held.

Can I suggest setting the ISO to 200, unless the light is very poor. I haven't used mine much but compact cameras do suffer from noise at higher ISO much more than SLRs do.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies fellas. I actually ordered the HS10 yesterday. I know not to expect the world from it in terms of picture quality but the manual zoom and superior video quality did it for me. Incase anyone else is facing a similar dilema, I found the following link very useful...

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_PowerShot_SX30_IS-vs-Fujifilm_FinePix_HS10

Again, many thanks for your replies. I hve no doubt I shall be asking questions again soon about how to improve my images!

You are probably going to find that in great light the camera works quite ok -- most cameras do. Low light is a different thing.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back