• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

Question

I am going to order Manfrotto 055XDB legs.

What kind of head should I get to put on it that will fit this camera that would also be good for a spotting scope?

I have looked at some Manfrotto ball heads and three way ones, but would a 128RC be good for both?

You shouldn't need a tripod for the camera as the IS is very good , even for video in short bursts. If shooting from a hide and wanting to shoot long video I use the http://www.manfrotto.com/pocket-support-large-black
sitting on the window ledge/table/rock.
I found the 128 tripod a bit light and prefer the 501/502 video heads ( I have 3 of them ). The 702 gets a run when I want a light pack.
Neil.

Hello All,

I have been following this thread (and the sx40 one ) for the past couple of weeks after buying the sx50 and just want to say thank you to the people posting great photos and help for my new toy ;-)
I am a total amateur with Photography but really appreciate the time being taken by some on here to help others.
I love the zoom on the sx50 and look forward to mastering it in the months to come.
Meanwhile here are a few of my early attempts.

Attachments

• 027 (Medium).JPG
    027 (Medium).JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 390
  • 031 (Medium).JPG
    031 (Medium).JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 037 (Medium).JPG
    037 (Medium).JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 028a (Medium).jpg
    028a (Medium).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 045a (Medium).jpg
    045a (Medium).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 331
Nice pic Sharpshot, had the camera a few days now and getting used to it, lovely camera.

Have a look at crazyfingers settings on this thread they will help no end.

I used his settings on this shot, just altered the Auto iso to up too 400..

Edit:pS thanks for those crazyfingers..

Attachments

• IMG_0405crop.jpg
    IMG_0405crop.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 564
Oriental Pratincole

Managed a few shots of this Oriental Pratincole with the SX50 today as it made a quick visit to our helideck for a breather,not sure if they migrate or not,this is the first one i have seen .Location off the Mayasian coast,had a bit of a problem getting camera to auto focus on the bird and only managed about three decent shots out of about 30 taken but still a super bird to brighten up anyones day,weather dull with heavy rain showers about.
Shots taken in A mode,auto ISO set to 500 max,camo pic taken with 1.5 x tc on.

Attachments

• Oriental-Pratincole.jpg
    Oriental-Pratincole.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 469
  • Pratincole-Camo.jpg
    Pratincole-Camo.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Pratincole.jpg
    Pratincole.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 405
Three shots from yesterday in poor light, still amazed by the details this camera can pick up and with my old birding setup (Canon 550D and Canon 100-400 L IS) I would of struggled to get this.

Attachments

• 8504555685_628976b0dc_b.jpg
    8504555685_628976b0dc_b.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 430
  • 8505663996_8ac03e3799_b.jpg
    8505663996_8ac03e3799_b.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 428
  • 8505666346_f4a8400256_b.jpg
    8505666346_f4a8400256_b.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 377
Three shots from yesterday in poor light, still amazed by the details this camera can pick up and with my old birding setup (Canon 550D and Canon 100-400 L IS) I would of struggled to get this.

Those are very impressive. I have taken similar shots (light and subject) recently with my 50d and 100-400 and have to say they are not as good. Probably more to do with my ability but I am going to have seriously think of investing in this camera.

Hi OTH,
Could you give us the settings you used for these shots,and what was the distance.
Cheers.

Hello Bob,

I used Captains settings he gave in the earlier post custom 1 just altered the Iso to 400 max. The Dunnock was around 12 feet away and I shot at max optical zoom.

What is the 1.5 converter and 2.0 converter setting? is it the digital range or something else.

My best guess is that they are software gizmos that interpolate pixels so that pics taken with them have the same number of pixels as pics taken at full optical zoom or less.

They seem to me better than the equivalent pure digital zoom.

David

What is the 1.5 converter and 2.0 converter setting? is it the digital range or something else.

Basically they're a digital zoom feature that are only available in certain shooting modes. Canon reckon they may give better results than using the actual digital zoom which is still available to use. I've not really compared them.

I find the 1.5x converter produces usable results in most circumstances for still photos and is very useful for shooting video. The 2x converter can produce decent stills in good light if you can fill the frame. Likewise with video though I prefer to just use the 1.5x converter.

I find the 1.5x converter produces usable results in most circumstances for still photos and is very useful for shooting video. The 2x converter can produce decent stills in good light if you can fill the frame. Likewise with video though I prefer to just use the 1.5x converter.

Thanks, BUT at the risk of sounding thick where are these converters accessed?

Thanks, BUT at the risk of sounding thick where are these converters accessed?

Not thick sounding at all. There's a lot of features on the SX50 many of which can only be used in certain combinations in certain modes.

The digtal converters can only be used when you're in P, TV, AV or M modes plus of course the customised modes C1 & C2 using one of those modes.

Just press the Menu button and then the down arrow to highlight the second entry down from the top, press Func Set and then the right arrow to select which option you want which alternates between digital zoom off, standard and teleconverter 1.5x and 2x. Press Func Set to select the one you want.

Rather than have to access the converters through the menu each time you can set them to one or bot of the custom function buttons - C1 and C2. However swapping to C1 or C2 to activate the converter causes the camera zoom to reset each time. A better way is to set the short cut button to T - press the Menu button and then the up arrow twice to get to the 'set shortcut button' and press Func Set and the left arrow twice to highlight the T and press Func Set again. Now when you press the S button to the left of the viewfinder the camera alternates bewteen the 1.5x, 2x and no converter and the camera zoom doesn't reset each time.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back