• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

cheers Roy, i thought that might be the case...but what a lens that will be! Just hope they pair it with a bigger sensor, it could be interesting.

a 'new direction' with the SX60, hmmm... i'm intrigued too. Perhaps making it more friendly to the videographer? I hope so. A external mic jack would be a very good thing (would save me using my Rode through a Zoom H1 & then synching in post when i need better audio). Other than that, i can't think how the SX50 could be improved upon really...faster lens maybe...bigger sensor...?

i've been using the SX50 for a year already & absolutely love it, it's a great camera for stills & a really good video camera to boot. This is a short film i made with it a few months ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYkiSXCBIyM

Very impressive video Mick.I cannot wait to get one of these cameras and get videoing.

Am delaying purchase as I'm hoping for lower prices in the new year and I want to see first what the SX60 is offering.

Max

I'm getting used to my SX50 now.
The poor viewfinder makes it fairly useless for photographing birds in flight but I'm impressed by the quality of the images that this little camera can produce when you have a stationary target.
Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 256
Been using the SX50 for video for a while and impressed! It's saved me carrying yet another camera for digiscoping and I'm very pleased with the results, still a bit jittery but much better with the stabilisation than my old cameras. I'm using it for record videos for sketching from. Digiscoping still has more reach but if its that far away I tend not to worry much!

Heres a bit on the Hermit Thrush in Cornwall...most of the shake is due to my excitement at seeing the bird LOL
http://youtu.be/GlbCqI0asP8

End of year report

+1 for the happy SX50 owners club. Been using it since the summer & not really bothered with digiscoping since. As Gomphus said " if its that far away I tend not to worry much!". And another thumbs up for the video Mick,excellent stuff, an aspect of the camera I`ve yet to try.
I go along with all the negatives Roy highlighted about the camera, plus I have to say the dynamic range is fairly awful as well at times & I also agree about the viewfinder Jeff, but we all know what we`re buying into here, so lets celebrate the joy that £279 worth of camera can give. Attached are some of my better shots taken with the camera. Like ALL cameras good light is everything.

Happy Christmas one & all, Rob.

Attachments

• IMG_3211-001.JPG
    IMG_3211-001.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4455-001.JPG
    IMG_4455-001.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 166
Starting to get to grips with the beast now.Three from Leighton Moss today.

Attachments

• rewing.jpg
    rewing.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 190
  • robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 181
  • snipe.jpg
    snipe.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 202
I don't see Northern Flickers much. When I took this shot I thought it was a red-bellied woodpecker and only after I got a look on the computer did I realize it was a flicker.

Unfortunately I had the camera set for the mode that I use for regular family shots where 4000x3000 pixels is overkill. This was originally only 1600x1200 and it's cropped quite a bit.

For those unfamiliar with North American birds, it is a woodpecker but it's feeding behavior is not at all like what you'd expect from a woodpecker. It mainly feeds on the ground digging for ants and other bugs with it's strong bill. For that reason it's migratory.

Attachments

• December 2013 12 21 10 45 40.jpg
    December 2013 12 21 10 45 40.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 181
I don't see Northern Flickers much. When I took this shot I thought it was a red-bellied woodpecker and only after I got a look on the computer did I realize it was a flicker.

Unfortunately I had the camera set for the mode that I use for regular family shots where 4000x3000 pixels is overkill. This was originally only 1600x1200 and it's cropped quite a bit.

For those unfamiliar with North American birds, it is a woodpecker but it's feeding behavior is not at all like what you'd expect from a woodpecker. It mainly feeds on the ground digging for ants and other bugs with it's strong bill. For that reason it's migratory.
They're great birds CF. We've seen quite a few in BC.

Rich

Was out today for a short walk as the sun was getting low. Almost left the SX50 behind. I'm glad I didn't. This red-Shouldered hawk was in a tree scanning the field beyond.

Both have a fair but not drastic crop.

I've only seen a red-shouldered hawk twice that I am aware of. That's the thing about the SX50. It can go anywhere on a moment's notice.

Attachments

• IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 188
I think that this has been asked before. I have read all through this thread, but not recently.

Would you say that there is any advantage in getting an adapter and fitting a skylight filter, to protect the lens? It used to be pretty common practice years ago with SLRs. I know that a new lens cap would also have to be purchased.

Would the filter (or a UV filter) be detrimental?

I think that this has been asked before. I have read all through this thread, but not recently.

Would you say that there is any advantage in getting an adapter and fitting a skylight filter, to protect the lens? It used to be pretty common practice years ago with SLRs. I know that a new lens cap would also have to be purchased.

Would the filter (or a UV filter) be detrimental?
I would most definitely not use a UV/protection filter on the SX50 (or any other DSLR lens) as it will effect IQ. So in answer to your question, yes a filter would be detrimental.

I would most definitely not use a UV/protection filter on the SX50 (or any other DSLR lens) as it will effect IQ. So in answer to your question, yes a filter would be detrimental.

Many thanks for that Roy. I take it that IQ = Image Quality?

Is this problem something specific to dig cameras? As I said - back in the pre dig days, pretty much every photographer used to protect their lenses. That is the way it seemed to me at the time anyway ...

Wemouth Rares

A couple of pics of the rarities around Weymouth at the mo, quality may not match the big DSLR shots out there, but good enough.

Attachments

• 2378Brunni.jpg
    2378Brunni.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 2388GlossyI.jpg
    2388GlossyI.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 192
Many thanks for that Roy. I take it that IQ = Image Quality?

Is this problem something specific to dig cameras? As I said - back in the pre dig days, pretty much every photographer used to protect their lenses. That is the way it seemed to me at the time anyway ...
Any glass in front of the optics are bound to degrade the image to a certain amount Alan, by just how much depends on the filter itself.
Although I have never tested one on a SX50 type Camera I have done lots of tests with a DSLR and what I always found is that even a high class filter (costing £100 or more!) will degrade the IQ (Image Quality) of telelenses a lot more than on,say, a wide angle lens. I tested the same High Quality filter on both the Canon 17-40/4 lens and the Canon 400/5.6 lens - there was little difference between IQ with or without the filter on the 17-40 but on the 400/5.6 the difference was enormous - I guess any defects in the filter glass is magnified.
I have seen hundreds of post on the web where someone has bought a new lens and have been very disappointment with the IQ - the first question asked is always "are you using a filter - if so take it off" that almost always solved the problem.
As a side issue the best protection for something like the SX50 is to always use a lens hood (you can pick them up for a few pounds on the web). I never shoot any lens without a hood in place (except when using a circ polariser on my 17-40 but that is different than than a protective filter of course).
I remember someone on Birdforum getting a protective filter for a SX40 but they soon ditched it when they saw the IQ degrading that it caused.

I remember someone on Birdforum getting a protective filter for a SX40 but they soon ditched it when they saw the IQ degrading that it caused.

That could possibly have been me Roy and the filter remains ditched whilst the lens hood is still firmly attached :t:

AndyM

Thanks for those replies. A lens hood it is then.

My question came about when thinking of the days when virtually every keen photographer had a darkroom and all the related gear.

I would have loved to have seen my late father's reaction to the digital age of photography. I'm guessing that he would very reluctantly (eventually) have agreed that the modern results are better.

re. UV filters

The lens hood kit I bought came with a UV filter. I only used it a couple of times as there was noticeable drop off in image quality.

The lens hood is well worth buying as it helps cut down glare when conditions are bright.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back