• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (4 Viewers)

Back at using the Raynox macro lens with the SX50, today I tried using my C1 settings, as crazyfingers posted some hundred posts ago, and used the converter to zoom out of vignetting range, and was very pleased with the details shown on the images at both 1.5 and 2x.

More playing and experimenting to do, but that is the direction I'm heading in at the moment pending advice to the contrary.

David

One thing I have found is that for shots over 1200mm it is mostly better to use the 1.5x tc (hence JPEG) rather than shooting at 1200mm and cropping a RAW file heavily.
But isn't the TC just cropping the RAW file before converting it to jpg in the camera? If doing it this way is better than cropping and converting later then there must be something else going on that we don't know about. (Or that just I don't know about.)

very pleased with the details shown on the images at both 1.5 and 2x.

David

I would be very interested to see samples David as I have been shooting in RAW and hadn't thought to try using the teleconverter on jpeg instead.

My biggest problem remains shaky hands closely followed by constantly forgetting my reading glasses which means I can't see the bloomin' screen to decide whether I have achieved focus or not :C

Bhoggy I've found, as other people have mentioned, that taking lots of pics gets the odd one way better than average.

Using the custom setting rather than Av does cut depth of field down a bit, I spose, but does allow the digital converter that I have on the S button.

Here is a pic of a bumble bee, as far as I recall using the curstom settings and 1.5 concerter to avoid vignetting, and the detail towards the back of it is about as good as I've got, I think.

Long way to go, but I think on an upward path.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/dble_photo/IMG_4769bumblebee_zps09728cb8.jpg

David

This Digital Teleconverter setting is still mysterious to me. Crazyfingers seemed to indicate that programing the Shortcut to Teleconverter would work on C1 and C2. I can't get that to work. When in C1 or C2 the programmed shortcut does nothing.

Any hints would be appreciated.

This Digital Teleconverter setting is still mysterious to me. Crazyfingers seemed to indicate that programing the Shortcut to Teleconverter would work on C1 and C2. I can't get that to work. When in C1 or C2 the programmed shortcut does nothing.

Teleconverter is not available with RAW so set to jpeg. Set camera to C1 or 2, find set shortcut key in menu and set to teleconverter, then you need to save settings at end of menu

Paul

But isn't the TC just cropping the RAW file before converting it to jpg in the camera? If doing it this way is better than cropping and converting later then there must be something else going on that we don't know about. (Or that just I don't know about.)
There is certainly something else going on that we do not know about with these digital converters - Canon play this very close to their chest and will not reveal exactly how they do this. The web is full of speculation on exactly how these converters work but no one really knows. It must also be remembered that when you crop a RAW file you are throwing away pixels whereas with the built-in digital tc you still get all the 12 mp on the image (seems like Canon have a very good up resing algorithm). Either way I have found that you get more detail by using a converter than by cropping a RAW to the same size. With a DSLR I often crop my RAW files very heavily but this just not work very well with SX50 RAW's (probably done to the small sensor size).

What modes are you using? you obviously cannot use the digital converters in RAW mode or the auto modes (you must use P,Tv,Av or M mode).

Teleconverter is not available with RAW so set to jpeg. Set camera to C1 or 2, find set shortcut key in menu and set to teleconverter, then you need to save settings at end of menu

Paul

What modes are you using? you obviously cannot use the digital converters in RAW mode or the auto modes (you must use P,Tv,Av or M mode).

RAW, I had read that restriction somewhere but forgot. Thank you.

There was no mention of RAW in the Teleconverter section. Is there something inherent to RAW that would make it so "obvious"? Maybe because RAW is unprocessed and DT is processed? A few lines of code saying "if DT then no RAW otherwise RAW if set to RAW" would have been nice:) But I'm no programer.

I so very much appreciate all of you here, willing to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks again.

Last edited:
RAW, I had read that restriction somewhere but forgot. Thank you.

There was no mention of RAW in the Teleconverter section. Is there something inherent to RAW that would make it so "obvious"? Maybe because RAW is unprocessed and DT is processed?

The fact that it is a digital converter means that the shot must have been converted from the RAW to be able to digitize it. As you say RAW is a RAW image which has not been processed whereas a jpeg has already been converted in Camera and certain processing parameters applied. A RAW shot from the Camera is next to useless until it has been converted (When you view an unconverted RAW file, be it in Camera or via a RAW viewer, you are actually seeing a jpeg representation of the RAW and not the RAW file itself).

Yes but it can already save a RAW and a jpg so why not save the RAW and the Teleconverter jpg? I don't see the reason for the necessity of disabling the DT when RAW is set. I don't think there is a RAW only setting. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can't test anything because my battery is dead at the moment ... but there is no use fighting city hall anyway. I just found it curious. It is what it is, as they say.

Edit: There is a RAW only setting.

Last edited:
Yes but it can already save a RAW and a jpg so why not save the RAW and the Teleconverter jpg? I don't see the reason for the necessity of disabling the DT when RAW is set. I don't think there is a RAW only setting. Maybe I'm wrong.
Not really sure what you are getting at here by saying there is not a RAW only setting!. Every RAW file has a jpeg image associated with it anyway but that is different from shooting in RAW + Jpeg mode (which is a complete waste of time IMO but there we are some folk seem to like it).

I took the SX50 with me on my walk this afternoon for a change, nothing much around but it keeps the trigger finger working :-O.
All shots taken at 1800mm (FF=) with the 1.5x tc. Reasonable results with the 'flutterby's' seeing they were taken from around 10 feet.

Attachments

• white1.jpg
    white1.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 201
  • swan1.jpg
    swan1.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 194
  • white2.jpg
    white2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 237
  • swan2.jpg
    swan2.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 170
  • gull1.jpg
    gull1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 257
Trip out on Sunday to try out the new camera,had intended birds but not much doing there so tried insects and must say first impressions are most encouraging.Some of the shots below either straight from the camera or slighly cropped and resized.

Attachments

• fly1.jpg
    fly1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 205
  • df1.jpg
    df1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 170
  • d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 164
  • bf2.jpg
    bf2.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 176
  • bf1.jpg
    bf1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 167
Got it! (Now that I have juice again)

1. To set Teleconverter on C1, etc. RAW can not be selected.
2. S key is specific to each program wheel selection C1, C2, Av, etc. and must be set up for each one separately.

Simple? Yes, but I have zero experience with these settings (being a point and shoot virgin) so it threw me for some reason. The RAW setting disabling the ability so select Digital Teleconverter was the big road block for by enabling the DT setup.

Last edited:
On vacation in Maine at this time and I thought I'd post a fun photo showing the 50x + 2x teleconverter power.

An Osprey on the top of a tree. The Osprey leaving and then the tree zoomed out.

It's the tall tree at the very center of the shot. It was an opportunistic photo. The SX50 is small enough and light enough to take where ever I go all the time. Is there a DSLR lense combo that could do that which one would really take everywhere for such chance moments?

Attachments

• August 2013 08 17 18 00 46.jpg
    August 2013 08 17 18 00 46.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 369
  • August 2013 08 17 18 01 25.jpg
    August 2013 08 17 18 01 25.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 307
  • August 2013 08 17 18 01 42.jpg
    August 2013 08 17 18 01 42.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 288
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back