• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

I've just got my SX50 but it was a bit too late last night to do much other than fiddle with it. Just out of interest, how do most people get the photos onto the computer? Do you use a USB (not provided with the camera unfortunately) or can you just slot the SD card into the computer? Also, what (ideally free) software is best for dealing with the pics?

Cheers,

Andy M.

The CameraWindow software that comes with the camera is easy as can be. Plug the USB into the camera, open the software and it will grab all of the new photos off the camera that had not previously been transferred. It keeps track so only copies over the ones not copied previously. You can direct the software to put the photos in any directory you want on the computer.

There is a limit, exactly what it is I don't recall, to the number of photos you can keep on the camera, where the software will no longer work. I think that it's around 5000-7000 but I don't recall. Anyway, at some point the software will want you to clear the photos on the SD card. I've only run into this limit twice.

My best effort hand held at max zoom + x2 converter, blowing a gale and wobbling about like a good un. Plus its been cropped as well :-O

I need to get closer |:$|

Attachments

• yellow (1 of 1).jpg
    yellow (1 of 1).jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 213
Love the Yellow Wag, you're getting some great results!

Thanks. Just applying two years worth of practice with the excellent SX40 to the 50 with the benefit of extra reach.

The secret to 2.0x is being able to hold your breath for long enough to get the shot ;-)

AndyM

When I used to shoot full bore rifle the art of holding your breath to reduce movement was to take in a deep breath and then breathe out half and then hold.This way your muscles are under less strain and the result is a more stable position,I use this when using the Sx50 HS at full zoom and it works OK for me ....Eddy

Had a trip to local Wildfowl Wetlands Trust Centre with the SX50 still finding way round it,weather was great bright/sunny nice change for north east.Pheasants out in force,star of show suppose.

Last edited:
Got out for a couple of hours with my daughters SX50. Impressed the way it picked up the warbler through all the veggie :t:

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 100
Just returned from Southern Africa and the SX50 was outstanding. Unfortunately I wish I could start over with what I learned about the camera during the trip.

cute6.JPG roller_11.JPG

Took this at the back of my pond today - hand held :t: getting a bit steadier.

Attachments

• IMG_2374-Edit.jpg
    IMG_2374-Edit.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 207
At a Welsh nature reserve last week the card on my 7D unexpectantly got filled up so I grabbed the SX50 and set off.Luckily I found this Pied Flycatcher and the SX50 didn't let me down.

Not a lot of difference from the shots I'd got the day before with the 7D/400 lens.Mind you the bird posed about 20ft away for long periods.

It was a different story with the female which didn't hang about long and the SX50 with me in control took too long to get onto it and I kept switching the timer on which messes up any chance of getting a shot off.

Max

Attachments

• IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 166
Took this at the back of my pond today - hand held :t: getting a bit steadier.

As others have said - a stunning shot and incredibly clear detail!

Did you take this from a distance on max zoom + tele-converter, or were you close up with lower zoom?

And for getting a steadier hand - do you hold the camera to your eye and use the (rather poor) electronic viewfinder, or do you use the screen? I find the former works better, but it's harder to see the subject (and I'd have to put my reading glasses on to see the screen!).

At high zoom, the "Framing Assist - Lock" button on the LHS of the lens seems to help - do people tend to use this?

Cheers,
Mike

Did you take this from a distance on max zoom + tele-converter, or were you close up with lower zoom?

And for getting a steadier hand - do you hold the camera to your eye and use the (rather poor) electronic viewfinder, or do you use the screen? I find the former works better, but it's harder to see the subject (and I'd have to put my reading glasses on to see the screen!).

At high zoom, the "Framing Assist - Lock" button on the LHS of the lens seems to help - do people tend to use this?

Cheers,
Mike

Again, some great pics..

I have always used the viewfinder. It's not brilliant but it shows enough to know that you are focussed correctly (or thereabouts). Having it jammed up against your face helps to keep it steady. As with the SX40, you have to have your eye in a certain position for best results when using the viewfinder and ensure that the diopter is set correctly. I wear specs, but find it better without them.

I have tried the' Framing Assist - Lock' button but by the time I've found it, the bird is gone or I have lost the subject. If anything, I tend to be fiddling around with the 'Framing Assist - Seek' button above it which I find invaluable.

AndyM

Again, some great pics..

I have always used the viewfinder. It's not brilliant but it shows enough to know that you are focussed correctly (or thereabouts). Having it jammed up against your face helps to keep it steady. As with the SX40, you have to have your eye in a certain position for best results when using the viewfinder and ensure that the diopter is set correctly. I wear specs, but find it better without them.

I have tried the' Framing Assist - Lock' button but by the time I've found it, the bird is gone or I have lost the subject. If anything, I tend to be fiddling around with the 'Framing Assist - Seek' button above it which I find invaluable.

AndyM

The frame assist is very handy but it does take practice to get it fast. The second button below it I never use and wish it wasn't there.

These days I have the saved C2 settings have the camera automatically zoom to 300 and go to the 1.5x teleconverter when I hit power. That starts me off around where frame assist would put me if I was at max zoom and pressed frame assist. It allows me to find the critter faster at power-on. Then I zoom in.

Once I'm following the critter, say a bird hopping from branch to branch, I position my finger on frame assist and don't take it off until I'm done trying to get photos of that particular critter. It's pretty much indispensable when a bird is hopping two feet one way and two feet another when you are trying to get a photo at max zoom. But you have to keep your finger there all the time.

The frame assist is very handy but it does take practice to get it fast. The second button below it I never use and wish it wasn't there.

These days I have the saved C2 settings have the camera automatically zoom to 300 and go to the 1.5x teleconverter when I hit power. That starts me off around where frame assist would put me if I was at max zoom and pressed frame assist. It allows me to find the critter faster at power-on. Then I zoom in.

Once I'm following the critter, say a bird hopping from branch to branch, I position my finger on frame assist and don't take it off until I'm done trying to get photos of that particular critter. It's pretty much indispensable when a bird is hopping two feet one way and two feet another when you are trying to get a photo at max zoom. But you have to keep your finger there all the time.

Horses for courses. I have C2 set for 50x zoom, 2.0x converter. I switch on and have the camera to my eye and on the subject and watch it coming in on the zoom. If I lose it, that's when the frame assist comes in. If its too big in the frame, I can always back it off. Again it's just something that I've carried over from the SX40 (although it's a bit quicker starting up now that I no longer need CHDK for Superfine .jpg/RAW which required a 'long' press to fire it up).

AndyM

Cheers,
Mike

I seem to always have at least the 1.5x convector on these days and just zoom in as I need. I do not think this was full zoom though. If I lose the subject I back up with the zoom assist button, find my subject and let go of the button. Using it more and more now, still getting used to the camera.

Always use the EV as being old school would never use the screen.

Hoping the SX60 has a better EV as lets be honest the one now is pants.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back