• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

A few pics.

Photographing a Water Rail today and a Kingfisher decided to photobomb the pic, anyway afterwards got some reasonable shots of the Water Rail and Kingfisher

Attachments

• 5329Photobomb.jpg
    5329Photobomb.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 5335Kingfisher.jpg
    5335Kingfisher.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 187
  • 5338WaterRail.jpg
    5338WaterRail.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 5343WaterRail.jpg
    5343WaterRail.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 5347WaterRail.jpg
    5347WaterRail.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 104
Whilst fairly happy with the SX50, I don't seem to be able to get the sharpness and detail in my photos that other people are getting, anybody got any suggestions. Both pictures as from the camera, just resized.

Attachments

• bhg.jpg
    bhg.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 174
  • wag.jpg
    wag.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 181
Whilst fairly happy with the SX50, I don't seem to be able to get the sharpness and detail in my photos that other people are getting, anybody got any suggestions. Both pictures as from the camera, just resized.

A small amount of processing can make a bit of a difference. Nothing too fancy...

AndyM

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 229
A small amount of processing can make a bit of a difference. Nothing too fancy...

AndyM

When I process a photo it's almost always some extra brightness, some contrast and some mid-tones contrast. Is that basically what you did?

I sometimes but rarely do some sharpening but too much goes bad fast.

This is on jpgs. I have not messed with RAW.

When I process a photo it's almost always some extra brightness, some contrast and some mid-tones contrast. Is that basically what you did?

I sometimes but rarely do some sharpening but too much goes bad fast.

This is on jpgs. I have not messed with RAW.

I use superfine jpeg. A little extra brightness/contrast and a wee bit of sharpening. If needed, a bit of noise reduction (via Neat Image - the best in my opinion) and highlight/shadow protection.

As I often use different programs to process the same image, I save the image that I'm working on image as a tiff. to avoid any quality loss.

AndyM

The water in the background to the Grey Wagtail shot suggests to me that you were using too slow a shutter speed,hence the slightly unsharp image of the bird
Tom Lawson.

I use superfine jpeg. A little extra brightness/contrast and a wee bit of sharpening. If needed, a bit of noise reduction (via Neat Image - the best in my opinion) and highlight/shadow protection.

As I often use different programs to process the same image, I save the image that I'm working on image as a tiff. to avoid any quality loss.

AndyM

I tried using superfine for a while and didn't see difference enough to justify the much larger file sizes. But now I have C1 and C2 set such that C1 is wildlife photos and C2 is general family stuff and other. And I've figured how to save "Func Set" items and not just Menu settings under C1 so I will try superfine again.

Some of the photos here are superb. Could I ask from a learning perspective that if it's not too much trouble that people clarify what settings were used for the top quality pics? Not that I am using much beyond Auto and Sport at the moment...

Some of the photos here are superb. Could I ask from a learning perspective that if it's not too much trouble that people clarify what settings were used for the top quality pics? Not that I am using much beyond Auto and Sport at the moment...

Check out this post HERE

Fiddle about around these settings until you find what works best for you.

HTH,

AndyM

Setting AF Frame to FlexiZone is the single most important setting for bird photography. It tells the camera to focus only on what's in in the little rectangle in the center of the screen. Presumably you have the bird in the center anyway.

It makes it a lot easier to focus on a bird in a tree as the camera won't focus on the branches to the side instead.

Non Canon Battery

Afternoon guys,

I'm after a spare battery for my SX50 but not particularly keen on splashing out £50 for a official one so I was wondering what non Canon batteries people use?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Afternoon guys,

I'm after a spare battery for my SX50 but not particularly keen on splashing out £50 for a official one so I was wondering what non Canon batteries people use?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I bought mine from 7dayshop and they work as well as the Canon original. Never had a problem with any, substitute battery from them.

Afternoon guys,

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I bought mine from 7dayshop and they work as well as the Canon original. Never had a problem with any, substitute battery from them.

I also got mine from 7dayshop and only £4.99. Had no problems in a year and a half of use.

I have also bought SX50 batteries from 7day and they are fine, I numbered them so I could rotate them, inserting them first and keeping the original Canon till last so I know I have a decent battery if need be. They are small so I carry three, and would take five abroad ,just in case I can't get them recharged .
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back