• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carnivorous Blue Jay (1 Viewer)

cowhow

Some years ago I hung a ceiling fan on our patio. From the fan to the patio roof is about an 1 1/2 to2 inch gap. This spring a pair of small black, gray and white birds built a nest inside the fan. Sorry, but I was never able to definitively identify them. But the fledglings grew and became noisy and more active. This afternoon there was tremendous chirping and screeching in the backyard until we witnessed a blue jay having either the mom or dad for lunch. Despite never seeing the fledglings leaving the nest it is now empty. My question is could the blue jay have raided the nest and killed the entire brood? I have not seen the surviving parent returning to the nest. I never knew blue jays could be so aggressive and carnivous.

Oh yes! Our Blue Jays can be a wicked bird to have around nestlings.
Sorry to hear about your loss and the other parent will probably not come back to the area and move on.

Oh yes! Our Blue Jays can be a wicked bird to have around nestlings.
Sorry to hear about your loss and the other parent will probably not come back to the area and move on.
I never knew that! I had witnessed blue jays bullying other birds but never thought about them being so aggressive. The poor mate of the victim would land near the blue jay furiously chirping.

UK Magpies will not only raid nests but pursue fledging birds on their maiden flights, kill and eat them. Great Spotted Woodpeckers raid nests. Great Tits have been recorded in Europe assassinating hibernating bats and eating their brains. I've watched a Pheasant kill a Field Vole and take it away to eat (and they are also implicated in predation of young Adders).

The variety of birds that will at least opportunistically take live vertebrate prey is far wider than most people think.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back