• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carolina Wren made a nest, need help protecting it from my dogs! (2 Viewers)

Hello everyone! I just made an account because I really need someone's help!
I have 2 golden retrievers/German Shepard mixed dogs (they are 6 years old and are bother and sister). My husband has built a very large fenced in area for them to run around off our porch. My male dog has proven he does NOT like cats and has killed 2 in the past 😞
We have an old blanket that we use for when we take them to the vet. Three weeks ago I noticed a bird nest with eggs in it and seen a Carolina Wren going in and out of it. A few days ago, the eggs hatched but now the baby birds have become more vocal when they hear mom's chirping which has my male dogs attention! 😖
Is there anyway to protect the nest from my dogs but also make sure that the babies will be fine and mom with keep coming back to feed them?? The nest is on the outside of the dog kennel thank goodness but we also have feral cats running around 😒
Please, if anyone can help me make sure these little babies have a chance, please PLEASE let me know what I can do to ensure that they will!
Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20220809_112802.jpg
    20220809_112802.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Hi Alice and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I think your dogs may keep the cats away! But I'll leave others to come up with ideas as to how to protect the nest from the dogs. I'm not sure where the blanket comes into it?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Would it be possible to temporarily fence off the section where the nest is so that the dogs can't get near them when they drop down from the nest?

Hi Alice and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I think your dogs may keep the cats away! But I'll leave others to come up with ideas as to how to protect the nest from the dogs. I'm not sure where the blanket comes into it?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I have a 3rd row van and when my dogs need to go to the vet, I put down the 3rd row and throw this blanket in the large area of my van so they can lay down. I use it mainly to try to keep most of the dog hairs off the floor, lol!
The nest is on the outside of the fence (on the right side of the picture). I was trying to come up with ideas to keep my male dog away from it, like maybe a piece of cardboard on the inside of the fence (on the left side of the blanket).

Attachments

• 20220809_132851.jpg
    20220809_132851.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 2
In this picture, the blanket is laying over the fence. On the right side if the fence is the nest and on the left side is our dogs pen.
Our male dog goes almost 80 pounds (his sister is about 65 pounds), so I'm not sure if a fence would keep him out or away. I was thinking a piece of cardboard but with the way the humidity has been here in southwestern Pennsylvania and the pop up thunderstorms, I don't think it would work 😞

Attachments

• 20220809_132851.jpg
    20220809_132851.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
Hi Alice and welcome to BirdForum. Not sure what the answer is with the dogs. We had Coal Tits nesting in the side of the house. Luckily the hound wasn’t bothered at all.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back