• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Mini-Maks, et al (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
Do these types of scopes as marketed for birders present the image properly oriented left to right? It has been a long time since I gave a second look at astoronomical scope designs.

Robert Ellis said:
Do these types of scopes as marketed for birders present the image properly oriented left to right? It has been a long time since I gave a second look at astoronomical scope designs.

I believe that they do via the use of a 45 degree roof prism. At least all of my catadioptrics work that way. For better image quality, you can use a mirror finder that will erect the image but leave it reversed left-right. And in-between the two, you can use a Porro prism. But these are bulky and also only offer straight through (actually slightly off-center) viewing.

The exception is the Maksutov-Gregorian design. Unfortunately the erecting prisms comonly used degrade the image and most mirror scopes have high focal ratios and narrow real fields of view. From an optical standpoint, however, good quality catadioptrics nearly equals the best refractors. Mirrors simply do not have chromatic aberation.

Humboldt Jim said:
The exception is the Maksutov-Gregorian design. Unfortunately the erecting prisms comonly used degrade the image and most mirror scopes have high focal ratios and narrow real fields of view. From an optical standpoint, however, good quality catadioptrics nearly equals the best refractors. Mirrors simply do not have chromatic aberation.

That's correct about the Maksutov-Gregorian. My 40mm Lomo Captain uses that design.

http://www.jayandwanda.com/digiscope/digiscope_calc.html

Cats are an inexpensive path to very good optics. Though they tend to give up FOV (as you mentioned) and some image contrast. I think they are well worth considering for inexpensive digiscoping and maybe not so good for observing depending on your priorities. Though for very long distance observing, the larger ones may be the very best choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back