• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal M2 vs Svbony SV406P (1 Viewer)

Sirpotato

Australia
Has anyone done a comparison between these two either in the 65mm or 80mm?

Just seen the Regal M2 65ED on Amazon for $395 Aud or the SV406P for $275 Aud or the 80 for $399 Aud

Not sure which one to go with!? 😅

i had the Celestron regal 80 mm ed version. it was stolen and i replaced it with the sv 406p 80mm. so this is not a side by side comparison per se, but two scopes that i know very very well. in short. no contest. the sv 406p is the clear winner. clarity. brightness, eye relief, extra fine focus control, weight ....etc.

Ahh damn! I ended up buying the Celestron Regal M2 65ED.

Was your's the older version of the Celestron?

I had an email from Svbony offering me to trial the SA405 for $275 USD but I saw that email after I'd purchased it already too 😅.

I think the Celestron was still a steal for $395 AUD though!?

Interesting, the sa405 looks really interesting, just rather costly to try at the price they were originally asking for. Hopefully more people will try it out and feedback.

Peter

I thought so too, would be good for $400 AUD though! The only thing I noticed in the specs I didnt like is that it stated its K9 glass.

Ahh damn! I ended up buying the Celestron Regal M2 65ED.

Was your's the older version of the Celestron?

I had an email from Svbony offering me to trial the SA405 for $275 USD but I saw that email after I'd purchased it already too 😅.

I think the Celestron was still a steal for $395 AUD though!?
Yes, it was the older Celestron...from what i've read there were no improvements other than the weight, but i cannot say for certain ...

Yes, it was the older Celestron...from what i've read there were no improvements other than the weight, but i cannot say for certain ...
Ahh ok! I'll be able to test it out soon and if I'm not impressed I'll send back to Amazon and grab the Svbony!

I had one sample of the 65mm SV406P but have no experience with the Celestron.

I purchased the SVBONY from Amazon, along with the WIFI camera, but returned it for two main reasons. One was insufficient eye relief. It was advertised as being 20 - 18mm. I did not measure actual eye relief but could not use it above ~20x with spectacles.

The second reason was that the color, or perhaps more correctly the contrast, did not seem very good. So it was hard to distinguish between different shades of similar colors.

It seemed to focus well at close range with good detail at 48x, but at longer distances it seemed hard to focus. And it appeared OK during a star test. I don't understand enough about optical design, and am still learning how to perform star tests and resolution comparisons, but for whatever reason it seemed like the lack of contrast was the bigger issue. However, there might have been something else wrong with it that I am ignorant about.

I did not try the WIFI camera, or a different eyepiece.

ETA - I didn't have another 65mm available for comparison, but used an 82mm.

Last edited:
Have the SV406P 80mm. Came across the elestron Regal M2 65mm for 190 USD so picked it up to try.

Optically felt the SV406P were better, sharper and clearer image. Possibly contributed by the larger objective.

The bigger difference was the physical design. Celestron was very rear heavy as the prism seems to be the same as it's larger siblings. The cover for the eyepiece was also odd - a metal tube screwed over the whole eyepiece. Focusing knob was much smoother on Svbony, as was the tripod collar. There was also some oil seeping into the rubber armour from the tripod collar.

Returned the Celestron soon after testing.

Interesting, the sa405 looks really interesting, just rather costly to try at the price they were originally asking for. Hopefully more people will try it out and feedback.

Peter
The more expensive SA401 is now on sale on Amazon for $387 with coupon.

Info on which other astro eyepieces fit would be welcome, some that advertise that are limited to only a few specific models.

Peter

The little friends and the fries can be seen in your unboxing photo! :) More reviews of scopes are always good. I might do a review of the discontinued nikon monarch 60 eda with the wide angle zoom, which I am using for 2 years, when I can find the time.

The little friends and the fries can be seen in your unboxing photo! :) More reviews of scopes are always good. I might do a review of the discontinued nikon monarch 60 eda with the wide angle zoom, which I am using for 2 years, when I can find the time.
Haha I know right, my partner had just brought me MacDonalds as I was opening it all up 😜. I agree, its very handy when there are reviews of scopes so you can make an informed decision. It was hard with the SA401 because there was so little online yet the scope looked really good...So it could have gone either, but I'm glad it turned out to be a very good purchase, to the point I listed my Celestron up for sale the next day 😂

Eventually I'll get Kowa or Swarovski, but next on the list is a nice 8x pair of binoculars for when I'm having a bad day with my spinal injury and the Canon IS feels too heavy, so I atleast have an option if I want to do a little birding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back