• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron TrailSeeker 80/100 (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
I am looking for a good spotting scope quite bright 80-100mm since I will use it for long distance observations and also as an instrument for casual astronomy. I have seen that Celestron has the Trail Seeker 80-100 for a good price ..... Has anyone been able to use it or have a reference to it?
How is the zoom eyepiece that it brings?
Cheers,
Pluto.

Hi,

plain glass doublet - will work well up to 40x. The zoom is kinda narrow at the useful 30 or 40x magnification.

It seems to take astro EPs, so some wide angle EP in the 12-16mm range will result into nice wide angle view between 40 and 30x for the 80mm body and a bit higher for 100mm.

https://www.celestron.com/blogs/kno...cope-accept-astronomical-eyepiece-and-filters

There seems to have been an ED version - that should be able to get up to 60x if the optics are good.

Joachim

Trailseeker 80

I use the Trailseeker 80 with the 20-60x zoom eyepiece. As Joachim wrote it works well up to about 40-45x magnification. After that it becomes rather dark.

One advantage of the Trailseeker is that it comes with an adapter for a T-ring so you can easily attach a camera for digiscoping. The attached image is taken with the Trailseeker 80 and an old Nikon 1 V2 with the FT1 adapter.

Niels Kristian

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 53
Hello,
I am looking for a good spotting scope quite bright 80-100mm since I will use it for long distance observations and also as an instrument for casual astronomy. I have seen that Celestron has the Trail Seeker 80-100 for a good price ..... Has anyone been able to use it or have a reference to it?
How is the zoom eyepiece that it brings?
Cheers,
Pluto.

Hi I don't if your sorted? If you didn't know, the Trailseeker also can be used with 1.25 Asto Eyepieces. Remember using a x2 barlow lens doubles the focal length. Besides all the 1.25 available eyepieces They do a fixed mag. 1.25 15mm WA Eyepiece specially terrestrial use. x32 for the 80mm. On the bay now, here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CELESTRO...-SERIES-SPOTTING-SCOPE-TELESCOPE/392805196923

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back