• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central Texas bird looks like White-winged Dove, but ruddy, with darker head. (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
DSCN3745.JPG
DSCN3746.JPG
DSCN3747.JPG
DSCN3748.JPG

This little guy was in a small group of doves in my yard. A couple of them seemed a bit more ruddy than usual, and then there was this one, that caught my attention as soon as I saw it. I've never seen one this color. I wish I'd gotten better photos, but it was walking quite fast, was fairly far away, and wouldn't hold its head still. These colors are pretty accurate to what it looked like in person. I've included the third photo to compare it to a ruddy-but-average dove.

Is this a pigment disorder, or maybe a hybrid?

Well, that's good to know, thank you. I assume this must be something related to melanism, an excess of pigment. Thought I'd put it here just in case this is a known hybrid.

(And also because I'm not entirely certain where to put a "why is this bird this unusual color" thread.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back