• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chasing Alcids-- Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

Barr Tender

World: 730 ABA: 603 Latest Lifer: Saw-whet Owl
United States
Hi folks-- we're two birders from Denver who have birded the Oregon Coast, et al some years ago (and loved it!). We're looking for a shot in the arm for our life lists, and we're very thin on Alcids. We were there in early fall some years back, but I assume breeding season is when we might have luck seeing them on nesting colonies. We've seen Common Murre and Pigeon Guillemot, and need anything else we can get our eyes on.

The Tufted Puffin colony on Haystack Rock seems an obvious place to start. Any advice as to date ranges and places with good odds for Alcids would be greatly appreciated.

We're also pathetically low on pelagic birds, so if combining a breeding season shoreline trip with a same-time-of-year pelagic trip, we're all for it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

- Dave in Denver

Pacific Northwest or southern California can be good, but afaik trips from around Monterey or Half Moon bays in California should give you the most diversity of pelagic birds/alcids in the US in a trip or two. I went in September and it was great; different times will give you somewhat different species. Check websites of those who offer trips for details of what occurs when. You don't need to do a shoreline trip to see alcids.

Last edited:
Monterey Bay is great. I did my very first pelagic there and got a considerable haul of nice birds. I've never done a westport pelagic, but have only heard good things.

Santa Barbara can also be a good spot, although depending on time of year you might get less alcids, if those are your focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back