• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chat ? Wheatear ? Rajasthan , India. (1 Viewer)

paragtrinity

Taken at the Desert National Park , Near Jaisalmer , Rajasthan , India. Came to the waterhole while I was in the hide . Looks like a female chat / wheatear... however , the amount of white in the throat is confusing . What , pray , is this ?

Attachments

• id1.jpg
    id1.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 77
  • id2.jpg
    id2.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 105
Female Orphean Warbler. Sylvia hortensis

Hi Chris,

OK for a Sylvia warbler, but it doesn't look like Orphean IMO. No experience of local Sylvia [curruca]... beak looks thin for Sylvia crassirostris....

Cheers

I thought of one of the eastern Less. Whitethroats first off. The iris on the bird in question is rich brown, almost chestnut, unlike the greyish brown with a rather pale crescent in the upper half found in Euro birds. Looking again at the wing structure, what I can see of it, it does look a bit short for Orphean and more like LW. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the iris colour in females of the eastern taxa - compared to European birds?

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back