• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap Hide (1 Viewer)

RyanEustace

Ecology Student
Hi

I just came across this on ebay (not affiliated)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2-Man-Dome-Tent-Camouflage-Ideal-T-Park-/360371237696?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item53e7ccb340#ht_6858wt_1396

For that price it seems like a real cheap alternative to the much more expensive products out there. Cut a few holes in the sides, cover them with scrim and surely there can't be that much difference between them..... can there?. I have owned a dome hide from WWS and the material had a matt finish and probably thicker material, but soo far thats the only difference i can see. That and the camouflage is not realtree, but to be honest your paying for the name there.
So yeah if your interested in a cheap alternative this seems a good way to go, and being a student, the way i shall be going |=)|

Yep, chuck a bit of scrim netting over it and you've got a hide every bit as viable as the big bucks versions that the wildlife/photography suppliers sell for - frankly obscene money.

I wouldn't even cut holes in the sides - I'd just shoot out of the existing entrance, pushing the lens between two scrim "curtains".

I've been known to use one of these in exactly that way.

I believe these festival tents aren't up to much in any kind of reasonable rain though, so beware of that. They do offer one advantage no proper pop-up hide I've ever seen has and that is that they can offer true ground level shooting whilst being in a hide and for that reason alone they're worth it I think, especially when they're next to no money.

The rustling of the ground sheet may be an issue to, unless you stay very still. After speaking to someone i know my mind has been changed, he does quite alot of hide work, and basically said he uses a length of camouflage netting/screen 9 times out of 10 just for its speed of setting up and simplicity

I use something similar and it works very well if you bear one or two things in mind.
First, the one I have let's light through when the sun is behind you, so, as mentioned by others, I throw a scrim net over it.
I found that when sitting on a fold up chair, my eye line, and therefore my camera level, was too high for the door opening, so I cut a section out above the door. The scrim net covers it up nicely. One tripod leg then sticks out through the doorway.
The advantage of a built in groundsheet is that when you are in it, your weight keeps it from blowing away!
Oh, they do get rather warm in hot weather!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back