• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (7 Viewers)

Yesterday – Slavonian Grebe and Scaup at Astbury SQ; Water Pipit and 11 Waxwings at Neston; Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull and Yellow-legged Gull at Richmond Bank; 30 Waxwings at Higher Poynton also c40 at Irby, 10 at Heswall and 3 at Runcorn; Smew at Moore NR;

CB

Any ideas whereabouts they were seen ?
Thanks

Waxwings.
Feb 6th - Runcorn "three still at the Norbert Dentressangle car park on Picow Farm Road this morning"

Feb 5th - Warrington "17 by The Adelphi Vaults pub on Mersey Street late afternoon"

You'll be lucky if they are still there!! Details ex BirdGuides.

Today - Slavonian Grebe at Astbury SQ; 4 Iceland Gulls, Glaucous Gull and 4 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Smew and Mediterranean Gull at Moore NR; 48 Waxwings at Saughall Massie plus 8 at Pensby;

CB

Last edited:
I am confused on which day i should go. I will only be able to go one day. So Hoylake will have different birds to Hesweall/parkkgate/Burton Marsh? I suppose there will be sea birds and the thousands of Knot around Hoylake somethng that wont be available at the other places? Is this Knot spectacle likely to be repeated in the next 2 months?

Well worth going to Hoylake on both those days (Sat and Sun) for the high tide wader roost. On Sunday the tide will be high enough to cover the marsh at Riverbank Road, Heswall with good chance of Hen Harriers and Short-eared Owls, could have a Water Rail or two plus the usual large numbers of waders and wildfowl.

Will have to be the Sunday that I am going now. Will make a day of it. Might make a trip to Moore, Burton Mere ......I would love to go Richmond Bank but closed on Sunday is nt it?

Richmond Bank info

Hi everyone

I will be back in the UK visiting my mum in Macclesfield later this month and was hoping to get some gull watching in. Looks like good stuff at Richmond Bank - can someone point me to a source of info on this - directions and presumably you need a scope etc?

Many thanks

Clive Harris

Hi

Just had a look and the nigh tide tomorrow, Sunday 10th is around 10.30am. Is that correct? What time should I be there for?

Hm.......... times for Hilbre in the above link seem to be accurate enough (10 to 15 mins before Liverpool) but where do they get their heights from? They seem to be about 0.1m below the Liverpool heights (as per Lavers and National Oceangraphic Centre) but over 0.3m higher than the NOC heights for Hilbre.
So we are always comparing like with like most tide heights given for the Dee Estuary are those for Liverpool as published by Lavers and NOC. For example, all the Wirral Rangers and RSPB high tide Birdwatches use Liverpool heights.
So if you don't have Lavers try
http://www.ntslf.org/tides/tidepred?port=Hilbre for Hilbre (BUT note these are Hilbre heights and NOT Liverpool heights - IMO using Hilbre heights is dangerous as people may not be aware that, for example, a 9.4m hilbre height tide is a high spring tide, equivalent to 9.9m Liverpool height).
Also http://www.ntslf.org/tides/tidepred?port=Liverpool - these are the heights we normally use.
Both these links give tide times for the next 28 days.

Note that New Brighton times are same as Liverpool. Hoylake, West Kirby and Hilbre times are as for Hilbre. Heswall is about the same for Liverpool. Parkgate is somewhat variable but can be at least 30 minutes later than Liverpool.

So for Feb 11th LIVERPOOL times and heights are 11.45hrs, 9.92m.
For Feb 12th 12.25, 9.92m.

Weather doesn't look right for huge tides at Parkgate but would certainly recommend Riverbank Road, Heswall for those two days. But Hoylake might well be spectacular again although numbers of waders are likely to be lower than last month.
Note weather conditions play a huge part in the actual height reached (strong westerlies will make tide higher) but we would normally say LIVERPOOL heights of 9.2m to 9.8m will bring the wader roost reasonably close/very close at Hoylake. We need at least 9.8m (preferably over 10.0m) before we can expect the tide to come over the marsh at Parkgate.

Two Caspian Gull (ad and 4th winter) and an Ad Med Gull in 10k+ Gulls of Hoylake. Two small parties of Scaup (c35 in total and a male Tufted Duck)

Hi

Just had a look and the nigh tide tomorrow, Sunday 10th is around 10.30am. Is that correct? What time should I be there for?

High tide at Hoylake on Sunday 10th around 1045hrs, get there at least 45 minutes before that. Weather forecast pretty appalling, though!
Huge numbers of gulls at the moment, wader numbers fairly low.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I will be back in the UK visiting my mum in Macclesfield later this month and was hoping to get some gull watching in. Looks like good stuff at Richmond Bank - can someone point me to a source of info on this - directions and presumably you need a scope etc?

Many thanks

Clive Harris

Hoylake and the rest of north Wirral may well be worth a visit!

Today - 2 Caspian Gulls, 35 Scaup and Mediterranean Gull at Hoylake; Black-throated Diver, Great Northern Diver and Little Gull at Hilbre; Slavonian Grebe and Common Scoter at Astbury SQ; Water Pipit at Neston; Waxwing, Woodcock and 22 Bramblings at Woolston Eyes; 19 Waxwings at Irby plus 15 at Kelsall; Mediterranean Gull at Houghton Green Flash; 19 Purple Sandpiper at New Brighton ML;

Yesterday - 2 Great White Egrets, 3 Hen Harriers and 4 Peregrines at Parkgate; 10 Waxwings at Moreton;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back