• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Made up this afternoon to see a bird I haven't seen round here ( that's the Macc area ) for 30 years. Was out round the lanes looking for little owls and pulled up at a site where I've seen them in the past. Got out of the car and immediately saw a barn owl hunting 100 yards away.
I know they've been spreading out from the other end of the county and they are established around Northwich ( and Crewe ?) but I've not heard of any over here.
Let's hope they become a regular sight in East Cheshire again.

Last year I had more sightings in east Cheshire than any previous year but this year I haven't seen one!

CB

Yesterday - Great White Egret and 2 Little Egrets at Hale; 45 Waxwings at Elton plus 60 at Bollington; Sand Martin at Budworth Mere; Avocet, Marsh Harrier, 4 Little Egrets, Chiffchaff and c30 Ravens at Frodsham;

CB

Today - 55 Waxwings at Helsby; Snow Bunting at Wallasey; Kittiwake and Yellow-legged Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Sand Martin at Budowrth Mere; Marsh Harrier at Frodsham;

CB

The bird present with plastic yellow ring is an Orinoco Goose usually found somewhere down the Amazon!!
Obviously fence hopped from somewhere?

The Sand Martin is still present on the mere.

Thanks for the info. McShifty. I certainly never expected to see an Orinoco Goose at Budworth Mere ! ( no wonder i couldn't find it in my Collins )
Not too dissimilar to an Egyptian though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. McShifty. I certainly never expected to see an Orinoco Goose at Budworth Mere ! ( no wonder i couldn't find it in my Collins )
Not too dissimilar to an Egyptian though.

It's all a big learning curve JB, if you get any more news from the Marbury area send your info to the Doc at the Focalpoint website cheers.
A real Gypo Goose would cause quiet a twitch.:t:

Last year I had more sightings in east Cheshire than any previous year but this year I haven't seen one!

CB

I suppose that depends on the area you are talking about. I guess you mean East Cheshire authority (county) ? I think you're up in the north of that ?
Certainly round this end of the county, I haven't heard of more than the occasional "rumour" and know nobody who's seen one for years and years.

A very early Little Ringed Plover :eek!: at Budworth Mere this evening could be the earliest record for Cheshire unless you know otherwise ;)

I suppose that depends on the area you are talking about. I guess you mean East Cheshire authority (county) ? I think you're up in the north of that ?
Certainly round this end of the county, I haven't heard of more than the occasional "rumour" and know nobody who's seen one for years and years.

I was refering to east cheshire as opposed to the unitary authority which includes about half of cheshire!

CB

Today - 2 Great White Egrets and 8 Avocets at Burton Mere Wetlands; Little Ringed Plover at Budworth Mere; 71 Waxwings at Elton plus 8 at Chester and 59 at Helsby;

CB

I was looking at Cormorant numbers for Red Rocks since 1974

An amazing increase in numbers! I'm just going back to get the results by year (where I have them)

Edit: Bit of a climate change hockey stick!

Great crested grebe and Scoter have done much the same - so something at sea has improved!

Attachments

• cormorant.jpg
    cormorant.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 40
  • cormorant-by year.jpg
    cormorant-by year.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Here is the even more hockey stick grebe results. I'm wondering if the wind farms have created reefs that are improving small fish stocks and biodiversity generally.

Attachments

• gc grebe.jpg
    gc grebe.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 113
I can't think of another change in the early 2000s that would have had made such a marked difference. Here is Scoter

Attachments

• scoter.jpg
    scoter.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 52
A very early Little Ringed Plover :eek!: at Budworth Mere this evening could be the earliest record for Cheshire unless you know otherwise ;)

Right - here is chapter and verse on Cheshire LRP arrival (from Steve Barber)

Earliest ever is 2nd March 1998 at Acre Nook.

Other early dates are:
3rd March 1993 at Neumanns,
5th March 2000 at Sandbach Flashes and 2002 at Frodsham Marsh and
6th March 1977 at Sandbach Flashes and 2010 at Frodders.

I

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back