• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chewbaxter's "Birding Day" (1 Viewer)

Chewbaxter

Reformed "Bird Ignorer"!
Thought it was about time I put my stuff in here, although I have been keeping an online 'birding diary' for some time now:

http://www.runboard.com/bbirdwatching.f6.t2%7Coffset=90

Anyhow - here's my morning:

Took my doggies to Wigan Flashes (Lancashire, England) this morning for a combined walk/'birding expedition'.

Here's the list:

Magpie
Carrion Crow
Blackbird
Long-tailed Tit
Black-headed Gull
Kestrel
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Pochard
Shoveler
Mute Swan
Cormorant
Lapwing

And yesterday... Went to Haigh Country Park (near Wigan). Saw:

Magpie
Blackbird
Nuthatch
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Robin

:t:

Neil.

Yep sorry Dave - I sorted it out now.

Athough at times there's not much entered, I put basically whatever I've seen - even if just one or two birds... I also have a 'birding diary' (and yes, it is a 'little black book' lol) so I can look back - also as my 'garden birds' in there too.

Neil.

Athough at times there's not much entered, I put basically whatever I've seen - even if just one or two birds... I also have a 'birding diary' (and yes, it is a 'little black book' lol) so I can look back - also as my 'garden birds' in there too.

Neil.

You might think there's 'not much entered' but I enjoy reading birders day to day sightings so keep it up. I think most birders have a little black book. I've kept a daily diary now since Jan17th 2001.

Niceone Dave :t: mine only started in June this year though.

Man, all those years of missing out... ah well, better late than never... and I'm 36 so I've a good few years of 'birding' in me yet.

Neil.

Niceone Dave :t: mine only started in June this year though.

Man, all those years of missing out... ah well, better late than never... and I'm 36 so I've a good few years of 'birding' in me yet.

Neil.

I'm 36 too so have many years ahead of me aswell B :)

lol,well I don't drink Dave... I'll not live longer, but it'll ruddy well feel like it!!!

Neil.

P.S. Here... I missed 'Coot' and 'Moorhen' off my birding day - how could I forget 'em?

For shame!

Neil.

Yesterday I decided to 'Jazz up' my diary and attached my RSPB bird badges to it, plus my 'WWT' badge... all securely fixed with glue (you can tell I watched 'Blue Peter' as a kid :t:).

Anyhow - here's what it looks like now:

Attachments

• Diary3b.jpg
    Diary3b.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 57
A trip to Martin Mere this morning... here's what I saw:

Mallard
Pintail
Wigeon
Teal
Shelduck
Canada Goose
Pink-footed Goose
Coot
Moorhen
Snipe
Lapwing
Black-headed Gull
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Pheasant
Kestrel
Robin
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Blue Tit
Woodpigeon

Not a bad day at all.

Neil.

This morning I took the dogs to Haigh Country Park near to where I live... here's the list:

Magpie
Blackbird
Robin
Nuthatch
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Chaffinch
Mallard
Moorhen

Neil.

A trip again to Haigh Country Park near to where I live this a.m. - here's the list:

Magpie
'Feral Pigeon'
Robin
Nuthatch
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Moorhen

and... on the ornamental pond there - a Grey Wagtail - excellent, first one I've seen in ages (I've been on the lookout - this is the bird that sparked my interest in 'birding proper' you see, as it was the first bird that I IDd).

Today:
Garden - Blue Tit, Robin, House Sparrow.
Mesnes Park (local park, Wigan): Carrion Crow, 'Feral' Pigeon, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Tufted Duck, Black-headed Gull.
Haigh Country Park(Wigan): Magpie, Carrion Crow, Robin, Green Woodpecker.

Neil.

Once again a trip again to Haigh Country Park near to where I live this a.m. - saw:

Robin
Nuthatch
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit

Took a few photos too.

Neil.

Attachments

• Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 48
  • RobbyAndNutty.jpg
    RobbyAndNutty.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 49
  • GreatTit.jpg
    GreatTit.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 42
Yesterday's list...

In the garden I was pleased to see numerous birds...

House Sparrow
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Blackbird
Robin
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove

Later... a trip to the local retail park - numerous Starlings...

Evening - a trip to Haigh Country Park to walk the doggies - and taking off from the ornamental pond there - Grey Heron.

Neil.

Last edited:
Today the weather has been miserable with a capital 'MIZZ' - really bad... blowing a gale and rain heavy at times...

so 10/10 to the brave Robin and all the House Sparrows who came into the garden... of course, I nipped out and topped the food up for them all - how could I not after they'd made the effort to come?

Neil.

Went to "Three Sisters" (Ashton-in-Makerfield, near Wigan) - more info Click Here

Here's what I saw this a.m.

Magpie
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Chaffinch
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Mallard
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Moorhen
Coot

Have to say... I didn't stay too long as the weather was 'on the turn' - plus I had my dogs with me, and they were wanting to go home!

Neil.

Went up to '3 Sisters' this morning with my dogs - despite the foul weather, some birds actually turned out to greet us:

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Willow Tit
Coal Tit
Chaffinch
Robin
Great Spotted Woodpecker

Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back