• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chicago Birding locations in June? (2 Viewers)

mTown

Hello forum friends,

I will be in Chicago for work from the end of May to the end of July. Needless to say, I'll be taking my binoculars and compact spotting scope with me :cool:
I hope to make a birding trip or two on the weekends.

1) Do you have any tips for me on where to go for some good birding in and around Chicago?
2) Can you recommend any species books for me? I am unfortunately 0 familiar with the birds of North America. Probably a beginner book/rough species knowledge will do for the short time I'm there.
3) If you have any other tips (websites, etc.) for me, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Hello forum friends,

I will be in Chicago for work from the end of May to the end of July. Needless to say, I'll be taking my binoculars and compact spotting scope with me :cool:
I hope to make a birding trip or two on the weekends.

1) Do you have any tips for me on where to go for some good birding in and around Chicago?
2) Can you recommend any species books for me? I am unfortunately 0 familiar with the birds of North America. Probably a beginner book/rough species knowledge will do for the short time I'm there.
3) If you have any other tips (websites, etc.) for me, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance!
ABA guide to birds of Illinois:

There are many guides to birds of North America or eastern North America. The most popular one seems to be:

Lincoln Park. Specifically recommend Montrose Point (especially in May) and the trails on the south side of the zoo. There's lots of other great sites around the city (look at the eBird hotspot map), but Lincoln Park really does stand out against the rest.

These are two spots I frequent when visiting Cook County and the Chicago area.

Orland Grassland
Bartel Grasslands

I enjoy huntin' down the sparrows.

Bartel is really good for Bobolinks and Dickcessels; no effort to tick 'em off. Everything else is kind of a hunt; walking grass trails. It's a big area requiring a scope or a long reach camera/lens.

Orland is fun too; there's grass trails and paved trails which you share with joggers and bicycles.

You find more info on the attached pdf; numbers 48 and 49.

You can make it a full day in this part of the county.

Check you maps for Cook County Forest Preserve trails, there's a number of good spots around Bartel, not so many close to Orland.

If you're staying in North or West Cook County, there's a plenty of Forest Preserve trails/areas in both locations. I'm just not so familiar to make a recommendation.

I'm attaching two signs photos from Orland, a few photos from Bartel, and a couple from Montrose.

IRT post # 4; Lincoln Park is okay for city birding. Montrose Point is better, it has a nice rehab with a good canopy; you'll find various warblers, vireos, and flycatchers moving through. The north end of the point has a roped off area for piping plover (the female didn't return this year/the male returned but sadly he died). There's also a roped off area for the resident Bank Swallow Colony. It's a fun few hours to half a day, depending on how the birds are moving.

I too tend to visit the Chicago area in May-July, good birding that time of year.

Good Luck
Bartel Grassland-2.jpg
Bartel Grassland-1 - Copy.jpgBartel Grassland-4.jpgBartel Grassland-6.jpgBartel Grassland-7.jpgOrland Sign.JPGOrland Bird Sign.JPGMontrose Sign.JPGBANS-2.JPG

Attachments

• Chicago Birding Guide.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back