• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaffs tristis/abientinus (2 Viewers)

Hi Spud,
Nice to have you back!Presume you were on holidays?
As far as I can see it,the only safe assumption that one can make about these Chiffchaffs lacking any yellowish tones below and with any green on the uppers confined to a panel on the secondaries(as in the "Bonelli's warblers") is that they come from somewhere to the east,whether that be west or east of the Urals,and whether they represent abietinus,"fulvescens" or true tristis.
I have been informed that,at the moment,the different European rarities committees are only accepting birds which have been trapped and critically examined as tristis:as I am not a ringer,I won't be making any stronger claims than "tristis-type"(far more experienced birders than I have told me that they certainly wouldn't claim one)
Still interesting to SEE them,even if we're not sure what they actually are....
Harry H

One plumage feature which has been overlooked but which picture 1 shows well is the yellow on the wings and tail (remiges and retrices) the best marked tristis can look more like Bonelli's Warbler than Chiffchaff.

I noticed this feature quite strongly on the Newbiggin bird last spring - I don`t know if its down to different moult timings or an actual plumage difference but there was a strong lemony green secondary patch - but the call was the classic tristis type call.

Hello Spud

Good to have your experience and measured tones back on BF indeed!

It’s refreshing to hear someone who really knows his birds indicate just what a minefield this area is. I think that tristic chiffs may be as rare as Dusky and Radde’s Warblers etc and it’s far from true that many pale chiffs are tristis. Indeed the name ‘tristis’ type seems to have overtaken ‘eastern’ as a prefix for birds possibly as a result of our wanting to box (and therefore tick) everything.

Incidentally, I’m hoping to get the train from Moscow to Baikal this summer during school hols (fingers crossed) so could maybe see for myself a few of these things on the breeding grounds and see how the song and calls change across the range......Have you been over there Spud? Could I tap you for some info at a later date perhaps?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back