• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China 2010 (9 Viewers)

Am grateful for the wonderful pictures Shi Jin has given us and am happy for him if he reaches his goal so early.
He deserves our congratulations on a job superbly done..

With his talent, he will soon create a new and equally compelling blog , so we will not have to say goodbye.

Thursday, 27th May, 11.50pm

Shanghai, O'Malleys

Thanks so much for your encouraging words.

You are all far too kind.

But it's very much appreciated nonetheless.

I must say that Mike's pearl of wisdom... "doing the birding you want to do"... very much sums it up as far as I am concerned.

So, with that in mind, 365 will be the final entry here.

But, not to worry, I'm doing my best to drag it out as long as possible.

The best way of doing that of course is not to take my camera with me on my travels...

So here I am in Shanghai again (writing this from an Irish pub funnily enough) and camera-less.

Although, in the next 3 weeks, I have trips planned to Shanxi, Henan, Gansu and Sichuan... so I can't promise that my resolve to slow things down won't weaken.

But, whatever, I'll do my best not to take photos of Swallow and Red-rumped Swallow (to mention just two of the birds that have eluded me so far this year).

Oh... goodness me... another pint o' Guinness has arrived.

Here's a toast to "absent friends".

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sunday 30th May

Beijing, Chaoyang, Wenyu River

A late start (7.45am) meant that the workers had got to the paddyfields before me. Other than many singing Oriental and Black-browed Reed Warblers, there wasn't much about. The attached were aesthetically pleasing nonetheless.

Attachments

• Common Sandpiper.jpg
    Common Sandpiper.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Common Sandpiper....jpg
    Common Sandpiper....jpg
    190 KB · Views: 52
  • Brown Flycatcher.jpg
    Brown Flycatcher.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The attached were aesthetically pleasing nonetheless.

Yes, I particularly like the flycatcher coming in for a landing. Somehow that is a very real image - it doesn't look as simple as a lot of shots make landing look, but instead I have the sense that important but subtle last minute adjustments are being made.

Tuesday 1st June

As you may have picked up, I've been doing my best to slow things down to a crawl and to avoid adding to the 355 species I've recorded so far this year.

Not taking my camera on my travels worked very well indeed. But I thought that I would try a new approach today.

The objective was to avoid taking a photo of a locustella warbler that, when it wasn't in the middle of a small clump of reeds, was dashing to the next clump. Easy you might think.

Well, you would have thought so.

I tried a few half-hearted attempts, but just to be on the safe side, I didn't look through the viewfinder (not that that would have been any use because it was as quick as it was skulking)... I tried a new technique which involved resting the camera against my tummy while waving the lens in the general direction of the flying bird at the same time as pressing the shutter release.

I left the scene, still not knowing for certain what the bird was (although I had one name firmly in mind). In the car, I checked the images just to make sure that I had indeed missed. 30 shots of reeds, water, and more reeds... excellent!

Then, I noticed a rusty-brown job in the top left corner of the last image. I wasn't too worried, because even if it was the bird it was sure to be out of focus.

I enlarged the image and shook my head in disbelief.

Oh No....! An in-focus shot of what is clearly a...

Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler (356)

Sorry!

It wasn't a total disaster, at least I managed to avoid getting any shots of the Pere David's Bush Warbler; and the images of the female Yellow Bittern are mercifully too-poor to publish.

Attachments

• Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler....jpg
    Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler....jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Oh dear . . . looks like you're just too good for your own good! An in-flight PGW is an amazing accidental achievement!

Cheers
Mike

Wednesday 2nd June

"Hand me the net... now!!"

Not quite as dangerous as telling someone to put down the gun, but the spade he was holding did look a bit menacing.

The bird-catcher lifted up his spade and walked towards me.

"If you don't give me the net immediately, I'm going to call the police," I said in my gruffest, no-nonsense voice.

This was an option that I wasn't looking forward. I could imagine the (short) phone call: "Hello, I'm at the Wenyu River, and I've caught someone trying to catch birds in a mist net... and I need you to be here... hello... er... hello..."

"Now!!" I repeated.

The spade-wielding man continued walking towards me.

Time either for a sharp exit or a threat posture. I decided on the latter option.

I took off my cap, revealing my freshly shaven head (Most Chinese believe that the only people who shave their heads are either triad mobsters or nutters).

The man got closer and then, to my great surprise, put up his hands. "Please don't call the police," he pleaded. With that he ran back to the poles in the middle of the reedbed, tore down the net, and ran to hand it to me.

Time for more Lock, stock and two smoking barrels dialogue I thought: "I have your photograph," I told him darkly. "If I ever see you in the area, then it's all over. Tell your mates that the same goes for them. I come here every day. And no one catches birds in my manor."

With more apologies, and something about he'll be a reformed character from now on and do charity work every morning (instead of netting birds), he jumped on his bike and rode off.

I looked at the net... standard design... long human hair... painstakingly knotted together... days of work.

Back to the birding at last.

100 yards down the track, I found another mist net. But no one attending it. Were they lurking in the reeds (having watched the showdown I've just described being played out)?

I didn't wait around to find out. I stripped the net - this one was made of brown thread - off the poles and took it back to the car.

By this time, I only had 30 minutes of birding time left (so much for getting up at 5.30am). It had rained all night, and I was convinced that something interesting would have been forced down.

Sure enough, the reeds were alive with Pallas's Grasshopper Warblers (well, to be more accurate, there were at least four of them). As well as 2 Yellow Bitterns (worry not, the only things that I manged to capture today were shots of reeds... as well as two mist nets).

Attachments

• The Trap.jpg
    The Trap.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 79
  • The Wait.jpg
    The Wait.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 65
  • The Catch.jpg
    The Catch.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 72
  • The Retreat.jpg
    The Retreat.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Not that I'm keen on confronting shovel wielding mist netters, but where are these rice paddies on the Wenyu river? I live in Chaoyang and would like to check the area out. I've got a car (at least at those times when my wife relinquishes it to me), and any directions you can provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

PS I loved the image of the wingless Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler.

Thanks! (but more a bluff than any form of bravery... which doesn't come naturally I can tell you). But it seemed to do the trick. This must be about the 10th time I've confiscated and destroyed bird-catcher's nets in China without it turning violent (which is a bit of a worry, because it suggets my bluff is going to be called soon!)

For anyone who finds themselves in Beijing and would like to visit the Wenyu paddies, then head out on the airport express to exit 4. Turn right (towards Shunyi) to Jingmi Lu, go on for about 2 miles until you cross the Wenyu river (then you have to go on for about half a mile to the traffic lights to do a U turn and come right back to the river). Cross back and immediately take the track to the right - ie north-westish (that runs parallel with the river) - at the start of this track you have to go under a 2.2m height restriction barrier. Just to clarify... the paddies are on the Chaoyang (city) side of the river, not the Shunyi side.

After about a mile and a bit you'll go past some riding stables. Keep going and you'll see the paddies on your right after another half a mile. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Glad you had success, in several ways today. Do take care - there have been unexpected events around locally. The birds are valuable, but still...

Thursday, 3rd June

Forest Park, Taiyuan, Shanxi province

Another good way of not adding to the list is to go birding in Taiyuan, the capital of Shanxi province.

In two hours, I managed 12 species, and two photos (Grey-capped Pygmy Woodpecker against the light).

I'm flying to Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu province tonight and plan to go to the rarely-birded Xinglong mountains.

I was there on 11th December (report below) and managed photos of 9 species I haven't photographed this year...

But who knows what happens there in June...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=158924&highlight=Gansu

Enjoy the mountains Shi Jin, just go easy on the trigger, 9 new photographed birds would close out the 365 challenge!!

Andrew

Could be good stuff at Xinglong shan. We were among the first to go there in 1989 - a bit early in the year. Early June should be excellent.

Rob

Friday, 4th June

Lanzhou, Gansu province

Thanks Andrew and EdenWatcher

It's about midnight here, so better sign off and get a few hours sleep (5am start).

The burning question is, will tomorrow be the final day of the 365 Challenge?

Or will the show carry on to Sichuan (where I plan to fly to next)?

Time will tell.

Cheers and Good Night.

Shi Jin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back