• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China 2010 (4 Viewers)

Thanks Rockfowl

Impressed that your sources are finding the cranes, unfortunately I had to return to Beijing empty-handed.

I had (wrongly) thought that the force 5-6, cold tail-wind (Tuesday) and poor visibility (Monday) were holding them back.

At least Larry and Nicky have today (Wednesday) and tomorrow morning there. So fingers crossed.

I'll be going back on Saturday, which could be a little late I fear.

I'm determined to get some photos though, so if need be I'll chase them up to Xianghai in Jilin province, where most of the world's population of Siberian Cranes stopped off last year for a few days (also, Red- crowned, and White-naped Cranes breed there). And there's also a chance of Jankowski's Bunting there (assuming it's not extinct yet).

Back to "Collision Tuesday" - when Larry's and my birding adventures came together. We had a lovely day despite the lack of cranes... Gretchen's company made it even more enjoyable.

We walked a long way at Qilihai, in fairly difficult conditions (wind and cold), but were rewarded with some special sights.

The highlight from my point of view was watching a Peregrine hammer in to a flock of a few thousand Black-headed Gulls. One of which was literally knocked out of the air - in to the water, from where it was unable to get airborne. We watched the Peregrine try several times to pluck it from the water, but gravity and the odds were against it. Reluctantly it gave up and went after a flock of about 400 Avovets instead - again, not successfully as far as I saw.

There were far more waders there on Wednesday than on Tuesday. As well as the large influx of Avocets, there were also more than a hundred Eastern Black-tailed Godwits, a couple of dozen Grey Plover, several Far Eastern Curlews, c100 Kentish Plovers, a few dozen Grey Plovers, a few Dunlins, several Oystercatchers, and also several Little Ringed Plovers.

3 Japanese Quails were other well-appreciated early returnees.

Notable absentees (compared with Tuesday) were the pair of Saunders Gulls and the Great Bustard (Qilihai), and Chinese Grey Shrike and Heuglin's Gull (Da Po He).

Here's the list of the birds I saw on Tuesday in more or less the order I saw them (birds photographed appear in bold, species new for the 2010 photograph year book are numbered)

Again, sorry I don't have time to post the photos now. I will try to get everything up to date before I leave for Beidaihe again, on Saturday.

Tuesday 30th March, 6.10am to 12.45pm

Hebei, Beidaihe region

Great Cormorant, 2 high flocks, about 150 birds
Black-headed Gull, "thousands"
Kamchatka Gull, "hundreds"
Vega Gull, c50
Hoopoe, about a dozen
Eastern Black-tailed Godwit, c100
233 Grey Plover, c 2 doz
Far Eastern Curlews, several
Kentish Plovers, c100
Dunlins, few
Japanese Quail, 3
Oystercatchers, sev
Little Ringed Plovers, sev
234 Peregrine, 1 (photo of it hovering over the stricken black-headed gull)
Avocet, c400 (photo of most of the flock in flight, with the Peregrine approaching)
Pallas's Reed Bunting, c50
Elegant Bunting, sev
Eurasian Skylark, c20
Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2
Eastern Great tit, sev
Hen Harrier, 1
Sanderling, 1
Buzzard sp., 1
235 Lapwing, 14
Spot-billed Duck, c30
Common Teal, c20
236 Common Shelduck, c25
237 Pheasant, c20
238 Red-breasted Merganser, 3
Chinese Bulbul, few

Also, 239 Garganey photographed Tuesday (1 pair among duck flock - rest of which were Teal)
And 240 Tufted Duck (photographed Tuesday at Qilihai)

Last edited:
Thanks Rockfowl

I had (wrongly) thought that the force 5-6, cold tail-wind (Tuesday) and poor visibility (Monday) were holding them back. )

I think the visibility is not really an issue from experience in the Autumn, they will fly in 'pea-souper's'. I guess it depends on whether they've set off in clearer conditions, rapid loss of suitable staging posts will just force them on in all conditions, though the tail-wind does seem rather high!

I'm determined to get some photos though, so if need be I'll chase them up to Xianghai in Jilin province, where most of the world's population of Siberian Cranes stopped off last year for a few days (also, Red- crowned, and White-naped Cranes breed there). And there's also a chance of Jankowski's Bunting there (assuming it's not extinct yet).

Got a text last year from Jesper to inform me he was watching 3200 Siberian in April :eek!: Pretty much the world pop, and I think the opportunity is longer than a few days, I was under the impression it was a fair period whilst they wait for the thaw to the north? Now if I had a choice of waiting for cranes in Beidaihe (Sibes are largely silent as you're probably aware, so they'll be almost on top of you when you see them) or enjoying the spectacle in Jilin, Mmm I think know where I'd go. I believe that the Jankowski's are hanging, would be worth talking to Jesper, a special bird that hasn't got long by current trends.

Good luck Saturday, still time.

Last edited:
Hi Rockfowl

Yes indeed, Jesper told me all about it (while he was watching them he very kindly sent me the most gripping SMS I think I've ever received).

I'm not sure how long they stay there (I don't know who is), and I'm not even sure Xianghai is a regular staging post (or whether it is weather dependent).

What I am sure about is that it must have been an incredible sight.

I actually went up to Xianghai a few years' back and connected with Jankowski's Bunting. I even managed a photo (that was far worse than "not that bad", but was pleased nevertheless).

With regard to the cranes, I'll see what happens at Beidaihe at the weekend before I decide whether to jump on to the Jilin-bound train.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, Jesper told me all about it (while he was watching them he very kindly sent me the most gripping SMS I think I've ever received).

Me too! He's a bit of a ****** for gripping texts, usually when he knows your nowhere near, Danish sense of humour ;)

Here's the link to Sunday afternoon's photos:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/2010birds29.html

Just to recap, the "new for 2010" photos are:

214 Kentish Plover (nom ssp alexandrinus)
215 Great Knot (monotypic)
216 Dunlin (ssp sakhalina?)
217 Far Eastern Curlew (monotypic)
218 Common Redshank (ssp terrignotae)
219 Great White Egret (ssp/sp modesta)
220 Hawfinch (ssp japonicus)
221 Collared Dove (ssp xanthocycla)

As wells as:

male Daurian Redstart, and
Red-throated Thrush x Naumann's Thrush hybrid ??

Last edited:
Hi Rockfowl

Thanks for sending the links to the frisky-thrushes and blingy-waders sites.

Seems that the red/black throated and naumann's/dusky clades are merging somewhere "up north". Interestingly, in Beidaihe at the weekend, I saw another two birds showing similar characteristics (but not so in yer face). Funny that I don't see many dusky/naumann's intergrades in Beidaihe (whereas, in Shanghai in winter, many more seem to have mixed blood).

Yes, you are right. The Great Knot I saw had the NW Australia flag/ring combo. I was surprised that this really useful wader-bling catalogue didn't have a "report your sighting here" button. That's the issue I have with these projects, they go to a lot of trouble to fix these tags on, but don't make it easy for people to participate (isn't that the point of flags?). I would like to find out about the "AAH" Great Knot I saw (and I guess that the people who tagged him would also like to know that he's alive and well and among the first Great Knots to make it this far north this year).

Thanks again.

Shi Jin

Last edited:
The Great Knot I saw had the NW Australia flag/ring combo. I was surprised that this really useful wader-bling catalogue didn't have a "report your sighting here" button. That's the issue I have with these projects, they go to a lot of trouble to fix these tags on, but don't make it easy for people to participate (isn't that the point of flags?). I would like to find out about the "AAH" Great Knot I saw (and I guess that the people who tagged him would also like to know that he's alive and well and among the first Great Knots to make it this far north this year).

Thanks again.

Shi Jin

Hi Shi Jin,

I think this maybe the correct reporting form to use:

http://www.awsg.org.au/reportform.php

Cheers

Seems that the red/black throated and naumann's/dusky clades are merging somewhere "up north". Interestingly, in Beidaihe at the weekend, I saw another two birds showing similar characteristics (but not so in yer face). Funny that I don't see many dusky/naumann's intergrades in Beidaihe (whereas, in Shanghai in winter, many more seem to have mixed blood).

I've never seen one of these hybrids, in fact don't see too many Red-throats. I do see a lot of Dusky x Naumann's, in fact sadly rarely pure types or lots of not quite' first year birds. Interesting that you haven't which must surely be down to timing and relative species movements maybe?

See what you mean about the 'bling' on the Great Knot, does seem rather large! However, hopefully, you and the researchers will get a nice, perhaps surprising result as its id tag is pretty clear. I wonder, old bird, ringed in ? done the journey Siberia to Oz how many times?
Good stuff!

Here's the link to Sunday afternoon's photos:

Red-throated Thrush x Naumann's Thrush hybrid ??

Nice to see this bird. As I recall, the one I saw had a similarly intense orange breast, though maybe a bit more scaling; additionally, my memory was that the orange went down lower on the breast. It's only memory now - I really should be doing some sketches, which I generally intend, but the cold weather didn't encourage...

Very handsome bird anyway.

Isn't blinging waders a wonderful thing ;-)

I received an email from the Australasian Wader Studies Group this morning telling me that this was the first overseas sighting of "AAH". The bird was flagged as a 2 year-old on 27th August 2006 at Quarry Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome.

My resighting was a distance of approximately 6443 km, with a bearing of 357 degrees, from the marking location.

Therefore, it must have clocked up more than 100,000 KM when I saw it. No wonder it had stopped for a rest.

Other sightings of this bird (all in Australia) are reprinted below:

Banding/Recapture
27/08/2006 Quarry Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
06285954 (AAH) Aged 2
Resighting
13/09/2006 Wader Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
Peter Rothlisberg, Michele Birford & Gene Burreson
22/09/2006 Wader Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
BBO Visitor & Alice Ewing
25/09/2006 Stilt Viewing, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
Alice Ewing
28/09/2006 Observatory Beach, Crab Ck Rd, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
Alice Ewing
04/10/2006 Richards Point, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.97, 122.33) Australia
Alice Ewing
08/10/2006 Observatory Beach, Crab Ck Rd, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
Alice Ewing
11/10/2006 Richards Point, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.97, 122.33) Australia
Alice Ewing
23/10/2006 Beaches, Crab Ck Rd, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
Alice Ewing
25/10/2006 Boiler Point, Roebuck Bay, Broome (17.00, 122.00) Australia
Alice Ewing
26/10/2006 Observatory Beach, Crab Ck Rd, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
Alice Ewing
26/10/2006 Stilt Viewing, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
Alice Ewing
27/10/2006 Observatory Beach, Crab Ck Rd, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
Alice Ewing
01/10/2007 Observatory Beach, Crab Ck Rd, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
Alice Ewing (Badly Faded flag condition)
12/10/2007 Richards Point, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.97, 122.33) Australia
Alice Ewing (Slightly Faded flag condition)
12/10/2007 Wader Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
25/10/2007 Tattler Rocks, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.92, 122.58) Australia
08/11/2007 Simpson's Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.99, 122.21) Australia
16/09/2008 Wader Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
Alice Ewing (Very Badly Faded flag condition)
16/02/2009 Nicks Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-18.00, 122.37) Australia
Chris Hassell & Dallas Wyatt(Badly Faded flag condition)
21/10/2009 Stilt Viewing, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
23/10/2009 Stilt Viewing, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.98, 122.33) Australia
14/11/2009 Eagles Roost, Roebuck Bay, Broome (-17.92, 122.58) Australia
Matt Slaymaker ... & Prue Wright

Last edited:
That's amazing! Saw a couple of Great Knot on the sand flats at Beidaihe a couple of days ago, but they were both unblung.

That odd thrush is a cracker too.

Isn't blinging waders a wonderful thing ;-)

I received an email from the Australasian Wader Studies Group this morning telling me that this was the first overseas sighting of "AAH". The bird was flagged as a 2 year-old on 27th August 2006 at Quarry Beach, Roebuck Bay, Broome.

My resighting was a distance of approximately 6443 km, with a bearing of 357 degrees, from the marking location.

Therefore, it must have clocked up more than 100,000 KM when I saw it. No wonder it had stopped for a rest.

How fantastic is that :eek!: and the only Spring sighting as well as the first overseas, leaves Oz early! Nice one :t:

Last edited:
Thanks Rockfowl for pointing me in the right direction and thanks Gareth for supplying the link to the registration site.

Here's the link to Monday's photos:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/2010birds30.html

Just to recap, the 12 species "new for 2010" photographed are:

223 Eastern Spot-billed Duck (sp zonorhyncha)
224 Grey Heron (ssp jouyi)
225 Little Egret (nom ssp garzetta)
226 Saunders' Gull (monotypic)
- sorry can't bring myself to write Saunders's... Oops, just did.
227 Eurasian Skylark (ssp ??)
228 Eastern Black-tailed Godwit (sp melanuroides)
229 Oystercatcher (ssp osculans)
230 Little Ringed Plover (ssp curonicus)
231 Great Bustard (ssp dybowskii)
232 Garganey (monotypic)
233 Tufted Duck (monotypic)
234 Heuglin's Gull (monotypic??)

AND, last but by no means least, four species I've photographed before in 2010:

Chinese Grey Shrike
Pallas's Reed Bunting
Red-flanked Bluetail (male)
Yellow-bellied Tit (male)

Last edited:
Nice Shrike!

The Skylark is probably intermedia Swinhoe, 1863 - breeds NC Siberia from basin of R Vilyuy and middle R Lena E to R Kolyma basin, S to NE China and Korea (though with the staggering number of birds moving through on migration, I wouldn't put money on it)

Here's the link to "Collision Tuesday's" photos:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/2010birds31.html

Just to recap, the 7 species photographed (all "new for 2010") are:

235 Grey Plover (monotypic)
236 Peregrine (ssp??)
237 Avocet (monotypic)
238 Lapwing (monotypic)
239 Common Shelduck (monotypic)
240 Common Pheasant (ssp ??)
241 Red-breasted Merganser (monotypic)

Phew... up to date at last. Just as well, I'm off to Beidaihe again tomorrow morning, and hope to spend my time there watching birds instead of editing photos ;-)

Last edited:
Hi Shi Jin,

Without going back through the list, is Mongolian Gull already on, looks like a nice adult over the RBM? - Edit: Doesn't appear to be

The pheasant should be karpowi Buturlin, 1904 - NE China (S Manchuria and N Hebei) and Korea providing the local stock has not been mixed.

Good look tomorrow, conditions look fairly promising judging by the weather forecast.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back