• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China Birds (Nick Sismey) 2010 List (UK, China, Hong Kong & ?) (1 Viewer)

21 February 2010

A quick trip down the back roads between Manthorpe and Wilsthorpe (Photo1), Lincs, gave me my first Corn Buntings of the year feeding on sweet corn that had been left to seed.

140.Corn Bunting------------------Wilsthorpe----------------------England

This put me 9 birds up on my previous best UK year (2008) at this same point in time

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1278.1 miles

Attachments

• 1.Wilsthorpe.JPG
    1.Wilsthorpe.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 132
6 March 2010

A lunch time call soon had me in my car on the way to pick Steve up from Ilkeston from where we set off for Welbourn in Lincolnshire for the reported Great Grey Shrike. Steve’s navigation skills took us straight to the site where two birders reported seeing the bird 20 minutes earlier.

With no further sign of the bird we were left to our own devices and so wondered along the main road hoping to spot the elusive bird. Steve had walked on quite a bit further than me when I walked into a field a got onto the bird in a tree near the small reservoir. I called Steve on the mobile to ask him whether he had found it, which of course came back negative so I offered to show him the one I had found! You have never seen someone move so quickly, scope, camera and binoculars flailing everywhere!

The bird was quite flighty so we weren’t able to get any reasonable shots until it returned to where we had originally been (Photo1) where even there it could really only be digi-scoped (Photo 2)

141.Great Grey Shrike-----------------Welborne-------------------England

Still ahead of my record 2008 year but only by 2 birds now!

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1385.9 miles

Attachments

• 1.Welbourn.JPG
    1.Welbourn.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.GreatGreyShrike.JPG
    2.GreatGreyShrike.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 140
7 March 2010

Buoyed by our success the previous day, I picked Steve up this morning from Matlock Bath (he doesn’t half get about!) and drove to Flash Lane in Matlock Wood (Photo1) where we found Rod Keys, the county recorder and Richard James with several other birders watching Crossbills (Photo 2). Like all of the recent ticks I had seen this year they were too far away to get a good photo, but close enough for a digi record shot.

142.Crossbill-----------------Flash Lane, Matlock Wood------------England

We then drove passed Beeley Triangle and parked on the side of the road (Photo 3) that looked across at the wood opposite the Chatsworth estate where after an hour or so we had wonderful views of a Goshawk circling on lazy wings before drawing them in and diving behind the wood and out of sight. A Raven also blessed us with its presents

143.Goshawk-----------------Chatsworth-------------------------England
144.Raven-------------------Chatsworth-------------------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1447.4 miles

Attachments

• 1.FlashLane.JPG
    1.FlashLane.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.Crossbill.JPG
    2.Crossbill.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 3.Chatsworth.JPG
    3.Chatsworth.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 135
13 March 2010

I had arranged to meet Steve at St Chads Water (Photo1) just 6 miles from my home at 10am this morning but then realised that qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix started at 11am so I turned up 30 minutes earlier. I was lucky enough to see my first Scaup (Photo 2), after umpteen attempts at Rutland, of the year as soon as I got out of the car. Once Steve arrived we tried to digi-scope from several angles but it was always a good way out. I made it back in time for qualifying.

145.Scaup---------------------St Chads Water-------------------England

Later in the day the Mediterranean Gulls that had been regularly seen at Foremark Reservoir (Photo 3) came up on Bird Guides. Therefore I was straight in the car and within minutes of arriving two birds (Photo 4) were pointed out to me by the gull experts that were already there.

146.Mediterranean Gull---------Foremark Reservoir-----------------England

They were however more interested in a gull they had spotted that had originally been seen at Albert Village Lake over the past couple of days. Thoughts were that it was a Mew Gull (Photo 5) but as yet the jury was out on this claim.

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1486.8 miles

Attachments

• 1.StChadsWater.JPG
    1.StChadsWater.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.Scaup.JPG
    2.Scaup.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 3.Foremark.JPG
    3.Foremark.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 4.MedGulls.JPG
    4.MedGulls.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 5.MewPossible.JPG
    5.MewPossible.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
19 March 2010

Steve, DAS and I set off from Manthorpe, Lincolnshire today at 6am to see if we could break our Winter (Mid March) bird race record of 94 birds seen by all three of us in a day. The record was set back in 2004 by DAS and I and while we have equalled it a couple of times since we have never been able to beat it!

We didn’t get off to a great start as in ’04 we already had 9 birds in the bag by 6am, whereas this year’s count didn’t start until 0601! It was a nice day, with blue skies when we set off, although the sun had yet to show itself so it was still rather cool.

0600 Hours Total = 0 (’04 = 9)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first stop after picking up a number of birds from my mother’s garden and surrounding fields was down Wilsthorpe Road (Photo1), a mile from Manthorpe, where Steve and DAS picked up Corn Bunting’s for their year list. There must have been 40-50 birds in one bush, a very healthy flock!

By the time we got to Greatford, another couple of miles away, we should have been celebrating, as we were 4 birds up on ’04. However DAS saw a Kingfisher that neither Steve nor I could lock onto despite searching the manicured grounds of Greatford Hall!

0700 Hours Total = 33 (’04 = 29)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the next hour we just stopped for a couple of minutes at both Tallington and Peakirk without even getting out of the car as we had decided it was better to get to Norfolk as early as possible. Therefore we ended up one bird down on the 41 seen in ’04 by 0800 hours.

0800 Hours Total = 40 (’04 = 41)

After dipping on Golden Pheasant at Wolfreton Triangle (Steve was smiling as he had seen one a couple of weeks earlier!) we stopped at the car park there (Photo 2) where our first Chiffchaff of the year was singing in a tree.

147.Chiffchaff---------------------Wolfreton---------------------England

We then headed down to Dersingham Bog in search of Wood Lark, dipping on them but picking up some good birds including Green Woodpecker, Crossbill, Stonechat and Marsh Harrier. Again DAS saw a bird that we didn’t, a Short Eared Owl dropping out of a tree (that later the Ranger said is often where it is seen) onto the ground. This still left us one short of the record come 0900 hours.

0900 Hours Total = 48 (’04 = 49)

We probably stayed at Dersingham too long as we only added another three birds over the next hour falling further behind on the record!

1000 Hours Total = 51 (’04 = 54)

Next stop was Sandringham to check out the feeders but the only bird we added to our day list was a Coal Tit. The gap to the record again increasing with just the one bird in that hour!

1100 Hours Total = 52 (’04 = 57)

As we left Sandringham and headed towards Hunstanton we picked up a Common Gull in a field at Heacham and then an Oystercatcher in the usual school playing field on the outskirts of Hunstanton. Down to the sailing club car park in Hunstanton we were pleased to see that the Fulmars had returned and that there were several of the usual shore birds on the beach.

148.Fulmar---------------------Hunstanton------------------------England

Before visiting the Titchwell reserve we nipped up the road towards Choseley Barns confident that we would pick up the Little Owl in its normal tree. No chance, even after three further attempts later in the day, but we did pick up a Curlew. The gap to the record remained the same!

1200 Hours Total = 60 (’04 = 65)

At Titchwell it was food time before we lucked in on the reported Firecrest as well as the very obliging Woodcock that got Steve into photography mode. Consequently we only added these two birds in the next hour, the gap now growing!

1300 Hours Total = 62 (’04 = 69)

Entering the reserve we picked up a Water Rail (Photo 5) either side of the path and over the next hour birds were coming at us like confetti with 20 additions to the day list, including a number of Sand Martins flying in off the sea, taking us four ahead of the record. Things were looking up!

149.Sand Martin------------------Titchwell-------------------------England

1400 Hours Total = 82 (’90 = 78)

As we made our way down to the beach we added a further ten species over the next hour, including a Peregrine falcon flying over. There must have also been a couple of thousand Common Scoter out on the sea, but we couldn’t pick out a Velvet Scoter. Still we were happy as we were 14 up on the previous record at this time!

1500 Hours Total = 92 (’04 = 78)

After returning to the car and heading off for Holkham DAS’s acute hearing locked onto a Goldcrest as we drove through Burnham Overy, the weather being warm enough to have the windows open. Sure enough at the top of a tall conifer there was the bird. A couple of other birders stopped to see what these three chaps were all craning their necks to see!

1600 Hours Total = 93 (’04 = 83)

Between there and Holkham I picked out a Barn Owl and Grey Partridge, while I should have been concentrating on driving, which took us up to and passed our previous total record of 94 birds in a day in winter. Steve also picked out our first Pink Footed Goose of the day.

It didn’t stop there however. We turned into the Holkham estate and as we neared the main house we heard a Greater Spotted Woodpecker drumming. Before we found the bird DAS spotted a Nuthatch and seconds after the woodpecker flew over Steve found us a Treecreeper. Now we were on 99, surely we could find just one more bird to take us to 100!?

1700 Hours Total = 99 (’04 = 90)

There was nothing at Holkham gap, the reported Shore Larks not playing ball!

1800 Hours Total = 99 (’04 = 91)

Back at Hunstanton it was fish and chip time and then back to Lincolnshire

1900 - 2000 Hours Total = 99 (’04 = 93)

Then we took a quick rest stop at my fathers at Kirkby Underwood

2100 Hours Total = 99 (’04 = 94)

Finally, during the drive through the back lanes between Kirkby Underwood and Manthorpe we saw two different Tawny Owls, our 100th bird of the day. With high fives and childish whoops we celebrated!

2200 Hours Total = 100 (’04 = 94)

Next bird race will be in mid May where we have to try and beat the 115 birds seen in 2008!

A full list of birds seen today, are listed below in alphabetical order: -

Avocet, Bar Tailed Godwit, Barn Owl, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Brent Goose, Buzzard, Canada Goose, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Common Scoter, Coot, Cormorant, Corn Bunting, Crossbill, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Egyptian Goose, Feral Pigeon, Fieldfare, Firecrest, Fulmar, Gadwall, Goldcrest, Goldeneye, Goldfinch, Great Crested Grebe, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Green Woodpecker, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Grey Partridge, Grey Plover, Greylag Goose, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Knot, Lapwing, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Little Egret, Little Grebe, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Marsh Harrier, Meadow Pipit, Mistle Thrush, Moorehen, Mute Swan, Nuthatch, Oystercatcher, Peregrine, Pheasant, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Pintail, Pochard, Red Breasted Merganser, Red Legged Partridge, Redshank, Redwing, Reed Bunting, Ringed Plover, Robin, Rook, Ruff, Sand Martin, Sanderling, Shelduck, Shoveler, Skylark, Snipe, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stockdove, Stonechat, Tawny Owl, Teal, Treecreeper, Tufted Duck, Turnstone, Water Pipit, Water Rail, Wigeon, Woodcock, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1,791.5miles

Attachments

• 1.Wilsthorpe.JPG
    1.Wilsthorpe.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 2.Wolfreton.JPG
    2.Wolfreton.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.Dersingham.JPG
    3.Dersingham.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 4.Hunstanton.JPG
    4.Hunstanton.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 5.WaterRail.JPG
    5.WaterRail.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
26 March 2010

A mid morning drive to Cut Throat Bridge (Photo’s 1 & 2) in north Derbyshire to try and see the reported Ring Ouzels only resulted in adding Red Grouse to my 2010 list, after nearly 4 hours of birding. Steve had seen three there, earlier in the week, so it was rather disappointing! The grouse was however the 150th bird of the year, one behind this date in 2008.

150.Red Grouse------------------Cut Throat Bridge-------------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1909.5 miles

Attachments

• 1.CutThroatBridge.JPG
    1.CutThroatBridge.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.CutThroatBridge.JPG
    2.CutThroatBridge.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 61
02 April 2010

Steve and I sheltered from the persistent rain by spending most of our time at Attenborough in the Tower Hide. It paid off as we added both Common Tern and Little Ringed Plover to our year lists!

151.Common Tern------------------Attenborough----------------England
152.Little Ringed Plover-------------Attenborough----------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1930 miles

Last edited:
03 April 2010

Having heard a Cetti's Warbler during my daily bike ride along the Derwent River to the East of Derby I picked up my binoculars and returned back to where I heard the bird. Unfortunatley after over an hour of watching the far bank of the river, while I had heard the bird several times I failed to see it.

Five hours later I returned to the same spot and again heard the bird several times. Then after another hour I heard two birds 50 yards apart, the bird to the left finally allowing me to view it feeding along the water's edge. There were also three Buzzards circling overhead and a lone Green Sandpiper feeding on the new man made lagoons

153.Cetti's Warbler----------------Derby------------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 1938 miles

Last edited:
04 April 2010

A late morning visit to Eyebrook Reservoir with Steve started with a flock of Swallow’s feeding over the reservoir interspersed with the occasional House Martin, both new for 2010.

154.Swallow-------------------Eyebrook Reservoir------------------England
155.House Martin--------------Eyebrook Reservoir------------------England

As we searched in vain for Yellow Wagtails an Osprey (Photo1) flew overhead and over to the woods to the North

156.Osprey--------------------Eyebrook Reservoir-----------------England

Moving onto Rutland Water a Redstart had been reported in the hedgerow to the South of the Bird Watching Centre but we dipped on that also. The mud on the paths there was incredible such was the amount of rain we had.

Passing the Bird Watching Centre again we headed for the new Lagoon IV where, just as we were about to pass through the hedge to the lagoon, a Blackcap started calling. It didn’t take long to track it down.

157.Blackcap-----------------Rutland Water-----------------------England

Lagoon IV seems to get better each time we visit, with many more birds utilising it than on our previous visit. The only new bird for the year for me was a White Wagtail

158.White Wagtail------------Rutland Water-----------------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2071.9 miles

Attachments

• 1.Osprey.JPG
    1.Osprey.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
05 April 2010

Following a bike ride around Carsington Water a pair of Barnacle Geese were feeding on the grassed dam wall

159.Barnacle Goose-------------Carsington Water--------------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2111.3 miles

Last edited:
06 April 2010

A quick two hours of birding at Willington (Nr Burton-upon-Trent) from 7am netted 52 birds with two Yellow Wagtails on the Canal Pit being the highlight of the morning.

160.Yellow Wagtail----------------------Willington------------------England

This is the earliest I have got to 160 UK birds in a year by a week

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2137.5 miles

Last edited:
10 April 2010

The first spring like day of the year! Met up with Steve in the main car park at Attenborough at 0730 where we wonder over to Tower Hide in search of the Grasshopper Warbler Steve had see the previous day. While we heard it several times the bird kept very low in the brambles preventing any viewing!

However our first Sedge Warbler of the year was far more obliging!

161.Sedge Warbler----------------Attenborough------------------England

We then headed along the River Trent to the Delta where I added Willow Warbler and Whitethroat to my year list

162.Willow Warbler----------------Attenborough------------------England
163.Whitethroat------------------Attenborough------------------England

Steve proved what a great year he is having (already on 172 for the year) by picking up the Cetti’s Warbler singing in a tree in ten minutes. While I also saw the bird it had taken me two hours to see my first a couple of weeks ago!

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2157.7 miles

17 April 2010

Meeting up with Steve just after 8am at Willington on a sunny but cool morning we slowly made our way down the main track. The high hedges (Photo1) either side of the track were full of warblers. After half an hour we heard our first Lesser Whitethroat (Photo 2), but it took a further ten minutes before we managed a good view of the skulking bird.

164.Lesser Whitethroat--------------Willington----------------------England

Down at the far end of the track we climbed onto the third and final viewing platform (Photo 3) where there were already a couple of birders already viewing the former gravel pits. As we arrived a Greenshank (Photo 4) must have just dropped in as neither of the birders had seen it when I spotted it feeding around the nearest island.

165.Greenshank----------------------Willington---------------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2183.7 miles

Attachments

• 1.Willington.JPG
    1.Willington.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.Whitethroat.jpg
    2.Whitethroat.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.Willington.JPG
    3.Willington.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.Greenshank.JPG
    4.Greenshank.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 57
30 April 2010

On the way home from work a Swift flew over

166.Swift--------------------------Derby--------------------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2183.7 miles

01May2010

Leaving Derby at 0845 hours Steve and I arrived at Upper Hambleton, Rutland Water just after 0900 hours. Having parked up and negotiated the cattle grid the first new-year bird was a Common Sandpiper feeding along the edge of the reservoir

167.Common Sandpiper-----------------Rutland Water-------------England

It was then a walk through the flies to Hambleton Wood where the Bluebells were at their glorious best (Photo 2). Steve picked up the target bird well before me, in fact he had been looking at a Nightingale for ten minutes before I joined him. The bird had even got bored of waiting for me, disappearinginto the undergrowth. It was another 20 minutes before I sighted the bird as it flashed across the path, the only view I managed to get!

168.Nightingale------------------------Rutland Water-------------England

The wood was filled with Blackcaps and Garden Warblers, the latter my third year-bird of the day.

169.Garden Warbler-------------------Rutland Water--------------England

Next stop was the Bird Watching Centre at Egleton, from where we made our way to Lagoon 4. From Sandpiper Hide we picked up a couple of Hobby’s mixing it with Buzzards on the thermals above the woodland covering the distance hills. A Wheatear also stood proud, chest out, on one of the grass covered peninsulas.

170.Hobby---------------------------Rutland Water--------------England
171.Wheatear------------------------Rutland Water--------------England

Moving onto Shoveler Hide (Photo 3) a Reed Warbler (Photo 4) was singing just outside the hide, giving excellent views.

172.Reed Warbler--------------------Rutland Water---------------England

Before walking back to the Bird Watching Centre and then on to the other side of the reserve we made a quick visit to the Plover Hide (Photo 5) further round Lagoon 4. We were pleased that we had as a Wood Sandpiper was feeding alongside the edge of the lagoon, its wonderfully spotted plumage a perfect camouflage against the similar coloured background.

173.Wood Sandpiper-----------------Rutland Water---------------England

Our final new bird of the day was a Ruddy Shelduck feeding amongst the sheep south of the Bird Watching Centre.

174.Ruddy Shelduck-----------------Rutland Water---------------England

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2277.7miles

Attachments

• 1.Hambleton.JPG
    1.Hambleton.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.HambletonWood.JPG
    2.HambletonWood.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.Hide.JPG
    3.Hide.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 4.ReedWarbler.jpg
    4.ReedWarbler.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 55
  • 5.Lagoon4Hide.JPG
    5.Lagoon4Hide.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 52
13May2010

Having checked the DOS Website the night before and found that a Great Reed Warbler had been seen at Straw’s Bridge, Ilkeston late that evening I just had to get down there before work the next morning.

At 0650 I arrived in the car park where a birder directed me to where the bird was. Three minutes later I was with the 6 or 7 other birders (Photo1) already there. The bird had been showing very well with one guy (Photo 2) having taken some great shots. After a 10 minute wait the bird flew back into the reeds, what a bird! The bird stayed deep in the reeds while I was there so I wasn’t able to get any decent shots myself.

I then called Steve, who classes Straw’s Bridge as his local patch, living only a mile away. He knew nothing about the bird having not checked the web the previous evening. He was there in 10 minutes! (Photo 3 - which also shows the small reed bed the bird favoured)

175.Great Reed Warbler-----------------------Straw’s Bridge---------------------------England

This was my second Great Reed Warbler, the previous one being in 2005 at Willington, Bedfordshire

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2291.2miles

Attachments

• 1.Birders.JPG
    1.Birders.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.Photographer.JPG
    2.Photographer.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.Steve.JPG
    3.Steve.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 59
Time to catch up on my recent birding trips.......

13 May 2010 (continued)

Buoyed by the success of seeing the Great Reed Warbler and with it being such a glorious day Steve and I took the afternoon off and headed for Frampton Marsh in search of the Oriental Pratincole.

The car park was reasonably full when we arrived, the reserve full of birds. The lagoon behind the Visitors Centre held our first year bird of the day, a male Garganey, but Steve was keen to get the pratincole in the bag so we swiftly moved onto the 360 Hide.

176.Garganey-------------------Frampton Marsh--------------------England

There we picked up three Curlew Sandpipers just coming into breeding plumage and I found later that I hadn’t recorded the fact that I had seen a Ringed Plover earlier in the year and so I added two birds to my year list.

177.Curlew Sandpiper------------Frampton Marsh-------------------England
178.Ringed Plover---------------Frampton Marsh-------------------England

A Little Ringed Plover (Photo1) was also offering good photo opportunities in front of the hide but no pratincole so we moved on to the next hide where the bird had been seen minutes earlier. While we waited for the next showing we ticked a couple of Little Gulls flying around the hide.

179.Little Gull------------------Frampton Marsh--------------------England

Then a sharp eyed birder spotted our quarry resting on a grassy bank in the distance. It took some finding but both Steve and I got onto the bird. A few minutes later the pratincole took to the air giving all good views, however the only record shots I managed were later back in the 360 Hide (Photos 2 & 3).

180.Oriental Pratincole----------Frampton Marsh--------------------England

Having regularly seen these birds in China (the last time in Oct ‘09) this was not a life bird but was my 255th UK bird.

The 360 Hide was very good to us during the afternoon as a Whimbrel flew in for a wash and preen, the first I had seen in the UK for many years!

181.Whimbrel-------------------Frampton Marsh-------------------England

Several Yellow Wagtails (Photo 4) were feeding in front of the hide, while on the path back to the car park a Corn Bunting (Photo 5) was very photogenic. Frampton is quickly becoming one of my favourite reserves in the UK, I would recommend it to any birder. If you haven’t been put it to the top of your list!

Total Mileage in 2010 = 2402.8 miles

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 50
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 56
14 May 2010

It was a very early start for Steve, DAS and I this morning from Manthorpe (Photo1), Lincolnshire, our first bird of our “Dawn until Dusk” raid being a Blackbird at 0452 hours, the exact same species we started on when we set our spring day record in 2008 of 115 birds seen by all three of us. Although we were 2 minutes down on the record already! By 0500 hours we were 2 birds up on the record with 9 bagged!

1-----0452-----Blackbird
2-----0453-----Black Headed Gull
3-----0453-----Woodpigeon
4-----0453-----Rook
5-----0456-----Great Tit
6-----0456-----Pheasant
7-----0457-----Chaffinch

0500 Hours Total = 9 (‘08 = 7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the next hour we drove to Greatford (Photo 2) to dip on Kingfisher, got stuck at the London to Edinburgh rail line (Photo 3), and arrived at Hambleton, Rutland Water (Photo 4) in search of Nightingale. Our total reached 39 during this hour, 5 down on the record!

8-----0459-----Jackdaw
9-----0500-----Starling
10-----0501-----Collared Dove
11-----0504-----Greenfinch
12-----0504-----House Sparrow
13-----0506-----Carrion Crow
14-----0609-----Whitethroat
15-----0510-----Robin
16-----0511-----Magpie
17-----0511-----Mallard
18-----0514-----Red Legged Partridge
19-----0514-----Moorhen
20-----0515-----Stock Dove
21-----0518-----Swallow
22-----0519-----Song Thrush
23-----0521-----Greylag Goose
24-----0523-----Lapwing
25-----0524-----Little Owl
26-----0527-----Blue Tit
27-----0532-----Goldfinch
28-----0547-----Mute Swan
29-----0547-----Little Egret
30-----0552-----Tufted Duck
31-----0552-----Common Tern
32-----0552-----Cormorant
33-----0552-----Shelduck
34-----0552-----Coot
35-----0552-----Oystercatcher
36-----0552-----Gadwall
37-----0554-----Sand Martin
38-----0555-----Egyptian Goose
39-----0555-----Chiffchaff

0600 Hours Total = 39 (‘08 = 44)

Deep in Hambleton Wood we heard several Nightingales, one only metres away from us (Photo 5) but could we see it, not a chance! Time to press on though as by the time 0700 hours had come and passed we were only on 47, now 12 down!

40-----0601-----Dunnock
41-----0610-----Blackcap
42-----0615-----Treecreeper
43-----0616-----Great Crested Grebe
44-----0623-----Long Tailed Tit
45-----0625-----Garden Warbler
46-----0627-----Wren
47-----0700-----Canada Goose

0700 Hours Total = 47 (‘08 = 59)

More to follow…..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 51
14 May 2010 (Continued)

We then drove to the Bird Watching Centre walking along the main path (Photo 1) to Lagoons 3 & 4 (Photo 2) the tally increasing to 59 by 0800 (effectively an hour down on the record!) without picking up Lesser Whitethroat, usually a cert there!

48-----0703-----House Martin
49-----0703-----Lesser Black Backed Gull
50-----0704-----Swift
51-----0706-----Grey Heron
52-----0708-----Pied Wagtail
53-----0708-----Herring Gull
54-----0728-----Sedge Warbler
55-----0730-----Willow Warbler
56-----0744-----Ringed Plover
57-----0746-----Sanderling
58-----0753-----Yellow Wagtail
59-----0758-----Wood Sandpiper

0800 Hours Total = 59 (‘08 = 67)

We were still around Rutland Water over the next hour, picking up Osprey from the bridge at Manton, with a Sparrowhawk taking the total to 70 at 0900 hours, now only 2 down!

60-----0804-----Little Ringed Plover
61-----0804-----Redshank
62-----0806-----Dunlin
63-----0806-----Reed Bunting
64-----0815-----Reed Warbler
65-----0825-----Great Spotted Woodpecker
66-----0826-----Bullfinch
67-----0854-----Osprey
68-----0855-----Goldeneye
69-----0857-----Shoveler
70-----0859-----Sparrowhawk

0900 Hours Total = 70 (‘08 = 72)

Then it was onto Eyebrook Reservoir (Photo 3) where we dipped on the Green Winged Teal but took some encouragement as we set off for Welney and Lakenheath with the fact that we were now 3 ahead of the record!

71-----0912-----Mistle Thrush
72-----0921-----Kestrel
73-----0924-----Tree Sparrow
74-----0929-----Red Kite
75-----0935-----Yellowhammer
76-----0954-----Buzzard

1000 Hours Total = 76 (‘08 = 73)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No birds were added in the next hour but we were still up on the record, just!

1100 Hours Total = 76 (‘08 = 75)

At Welney we just couldn’t miss the opportunity to try and see the Bluethroat. The new flooded area behind the centre (Photo 4 – Steve seems happy!) produced Avocet and Greenshank while late Bewick and Whooper Swans from the main hide (Photo 5) helped us to reach a record 84 species by 1200 hours, the lead now 7.

77-----1115-----Avocet
78-----1130-----Greenshank
79-----1135-----Wigeon
80-----1135-----Whooper Swan
81-----1137-----Barnacle Goose
82-----1140-----Black Tailed Godwit
83-----1147-----Bewick Swan
84-----1155-----Linnet

1200 Hours Total = 84 (‘08 = 77)

More to follow…..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 43
14 May 2010 (Continued)

We spent nearly an hour searching the reeds (Photo 1) for the Bluethroat and just as we thought we needed to make a move it showed for a brief second, Steve getting a good view of its chest, DAS and I having to make do with a rear shot! Still a new UK bird for DAS and me as well as my first year tick of the day, the day record lead being maintained.

182.Bluethroat-----------------------Welney-----------------------England

85-----1248-----Bluethroat

1300 Hours Total = 85 (‘08 = 78)

We just made it in time to Lakenheath to add a Garganey during the next hour, the lead down by 1

86-----1355-----Garganey

1400 Hours Total = 86 (‘08 = 80)

Walking all the way to the far end of the reserve (Photo 2) the most common bird were Hobbys (Photo 3), the one I photographed not being impeded with the loss of a tail feather. An occasional Marsh Harrier also flew through.

87-----1408-----Hobby
88-----1444-----Marsh Harrier

1500 Hours Total = 88 (‘08 = 82)

Without even hearing a Golden Oriole and being teased by two Cuckoos that failed to show we did pick up two Birders birds on the way back to the car park, one a year tick. Only 5 birds were added to the list but still we were ahead!

183.Bearded Tit---------------------Lakenheath--------------------England

89-----1508-----Beardid Tit
90-----1545-----Jay

1600 Hours Total = 90 (‘08 = 86)

Turning right into Hockwold we soon arrived at Weeting Heath (Photo4) where the Stone Curlews had been seen just minutes earlier. As we waited in the hide for them to show someone came to the door and advised us that he had seen one fly across into the field over the road (Photo 5). DAS was the first to spot it, with its mate, the volunteer there advising us that they were really struggling this year due to egg collectors stealing the eggs. What does possess them? Possessed being the word, apart from money!

The Stone Curlew and a Spotted Flycatcher hunting insects overhead were both year ticks

184.Stone Curlew-----------------Weeting Heath-------------------England
185.Spotted Flycatcher-----------Weeting Heath-------------------England

91-----1632-----Stone Curlew
92-----1635-----Green Woodpecker
93-----1649-----Marsh Tit
94-----1649-----Spotted Flycatcher

1700 Hours Total = 94 (‘08 = 88)

More to follow…..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 52