• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chough & Falcon - Italy (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Hi,
Could you please help with ID of these two. Taken this week in Abruzzo National Park.

Pic1 and Pic2 - Altitude 1650m. I was hoping these were Alpine Chough but based on fingerlength, think they are Chough. Can you confirm. Both are present in the Park. They were a large flock as shown in first pic. Pic2 is just zoomed in on part of main picture.

Pic3 and Pic4 - not sure. Again at high altitude. Did not hover like a kestrel.

Many thanks
John

Attachments

• Chough1.jpg
    Chough1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 131
  • Chough2.jpg
    Chough2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Falcon1.jpg
    Falcon1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Falcon2.jpg
    Falcon2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 169
Pic 3 and 4 are of a Kestrel.
For Pic 1 and 2, I wouldn't argue that they weren't Coughs. In fact I think I can see red on some of the birds in Pic 2.

6 fingers and quite long bills indicates Chough (red billed), however, a couple of the birds do look to have yellow bills - Alpine!!??
Last two Kestrel.

Young Chough do have a short dull yellowish bills.

However, I have seen them in mixed flocks in the Pyrenees.

S'funny I thought the raptor might be good for female/immature Lesser Kestrel - bluntish wings, pale underwing and paler primaries and secondaries.,,but everyone seems to think Common Kestrel....

Sean

S'funny I thought the raptor might be good for female/immature Lesser Kestrel - bluntish wings, pale underwing and paler primaries and secondaries.,,but everyone seems to think Common Kestrel....

Sean

I wondered this too, especially given John's observation regarding absence of hovering and rather looking gizzy smallish! - but thought perhaps it was just a bit too boldly marked? Too long a tail?

I wondered this too, especially given John's observation regarding absence of hovering and rather looking gizzy smallish! - but thought perhaps it was just a bit too boldly marked? Too long a tail?
Isn't a single bird seen in the mountains more likely to be Common than Lesser? The absence of hovering isn't a problem as (Common) kestrels frequently use updrafts where available, but it's a shame that pic 4 suggests that the bird is eating an insect on the wing ;)

Hi Simon,
It was pretty warm on the mountain where bird was seen and there were also strong winds blowing. Might be explanation.

It seems concensus is that is Common Kestrel. Sad as Lesser Kestrel would be a new one for me (I can't see how to add 'smilies' to a Quick Reply).

Cheers
John

In Abruzzo at high altitudines is very difficult to find Lesser kestrel, if not during migration periods. I'm quite sure your falcon is a kestrel.
And the choughs...those I can see well look all good for pyrrhocorax, but is not impossible that some graculus were present...

ciao
Michele

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back