• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cliff Swallows (1 Viewer)

omaksimenko

Supporter
United States
I was always wondering how people shoot swallows in flight. It turned out not that hard if you have a bunch of swallows :)
Just pick any swallow from far away and start tracking. Press the shutter when it's close enough. I tried both 600mm and 400mm lenses, and the 400mm makes the job much, much easier due to a wider FoV. A red-dot reflex sight may help to deal with a longer lens but not for swallows because of their fast/erratic nature. Shutter speed of 1/6400s works fine, and if light is good I'd go with 1/8000s. All high ISO noise can be later removed in post.
After a few hours of shooting my back started hurting and I decided to put my camera on a tripod + gimbal, and my success rate dropped to zero.
These creatures are fast and I think the only efficient way to track them is to handheld your camera.

Sycamore Creek Recreation Area, Ashland City, Tennessee

Attachments

• Swallow 1.jpg
    Swallow 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • Swallow Bomber.jpg
    Swallow Bomber.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • Swallow 2.jpg
    Swallow 2.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Mustachio.jpg
    Mustachio.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Swallow 3.jpg
    Swallow 3.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Swallow 5.jpg
    Swallow 5.jpg
    901.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Swallow 4.jpg
    Swallow 4.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Beautiful photos! Not sure if I would get any photos, even hand-holding the camera...
Thank you sir! As I mentioned the main trick is to find a bunch of swallows. The Cliff Swallows live in colonies, so that pretty much solves the problem. You simply can't miss here :)

Attachments

• IMG_0215.mp4
    2.7 MB
Superb pictures, I don’t know if all swallows, house martins etc are the same worldwide but the ones in England are a nightmare to get a keeper picture (might just be me but I could do with some wizardry). Beautiful pics especially the one head on!! Brilliant

Superb pictures, I don’t know if all swallows, house martins etc are the same worldwide but the ones in England are a nightmare to get a keeper picture (might just be me but I could do with some wizardry). Beautiful pics especially the one head on!! Brilliant
It was quite hard indeed. I spent at least an hour trying to get something usable. Thank you for the kind words!

These are fantastic! I always tend to get a bit unlucky trying to snap pictures of birds in flight, I only ever manage to get anything half decent while they are perched! Excellent job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back