• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Climate Change Changing Bird Migration Patterns? (1 Viewer)

Articles like this are, I believe, quite harmful in that they put almost all the emphasis on climate change and ignore what are far more pressing issues for most species. Using terms like "climate breakdown" (whatever that means) and "climate emergency" are activism, not journalism. What about the poaching emergency, or the palm oil emergency, or the dog-walker emergency, or the domestic cat emergency?

I'm not arguing against the stresses that climate change are putting on ecosystems, but this issue is so highly politicised, it seems to take-up all the oxygen in environmental issues. Ending the capture of wild birds for the cage bird industry, or reduction in the use of palm oil, would be much more achievable goals, and in the foreseeable future would save potentially dozens of birds from extinction.
I don't disagree with broader picture. And there is the risk of alienating some with mere use of the word 'climate', whereas you could demonize, say, palm-oil industry with lots less push-back. But I do subscribe to science and if ornithologists are correlating temperature shifts with migration etc. then I'm not going to hide my concern. I also thought it was relatively 'balanced' (of course the title is clickbait...):

"The scientists said human activity was likely to be driving the drops in numbers, with changing rainfall patterns, increasing temperatures and deforestation causing stress to bird populations."

Deforestation is likely palm-oil, cattle, or other resource exploitation, and whether it's population growth or climate, at the end of the day, it does seem humans are implicated at one level or another. So yes, capture of birds for pet shops (or even food) plays a big part, but clearly there are larger systemic and global issues that ought to be discussed by anyone who is a birder. YMMV of course ;-)

BTW, I agree with all the other 'emergencies'. Just look at predation by house cats! So yes, by all means, post up!

I would be very confused on why a article on a paper based on research in panama would talk about the pet trade, palm oil, or cats, since I doubt either one has much of a role if any in Panama bird declines.

As for climate change, I fully acknowledge its a major threat, and actually consider it the #1 threat. It doesn't matter how much habitat you save if the precipitation and temperature patterns no longer support that type of habitat. But talking about it online with people who don't support it is about as productive and enjoyable as me slamming my head over and over into my desk. I've given up that our society has any will to do anything about it...best case scenario is somewhere in the future we can create measures to mitigate or reverse this. In a hundred years there will be another kid like me, who is going to be reading about all the cool living animals and faunas that have gone extinct due to humans being a plague, and will rail against those generations. Just like I did as a kid reading about the Thylacine, Elephant Birds, Falkland fox, etc.

I would be very confused on why a article on a paper based on research in panama would talk about the pet trade, palm oil, or cats, since I doubt either one has much of a role if any in Panama bird declines.
I was referring to the article putting the emphasis on climate change (including, for example, the subheading "with climate crisis likely factor" ), and making a wider point about how this is symptomatic of how climate activism is drawing attention away from other much more immediate concerns.

I don't disagree with broader picture. And there is the risk of alienating some with mere use of the word 'climate', whereas you could demonize, say, palm-oil industry with lots less push-back. But I do subscribe to science and if ornithologists are correlating temperature shifts with migration etc. then I'm not going to hide my concern. I also thought it was relatively 'balanced' (of course the title is clickbait...):

"The scientists said human activity was likely to be driving the drops in numbers, with changing rainfall patterns, increasing temperatures and deforestation causing stress to bird populations."

Deforestation is likely palm-oil, cattle, or other resource exploitation, and whether it's population growth or climate, at the end of the day, it does seem humans are implicated at one level or another. So yes, capture of birds for pet shops (or even food) plays a big part, but clearly there are larger systemic and global issues that ought to be discussed by anyone who is a birder. YMMV of course ;-)

BTW, I agree with all the other 'emergencies'. Just look at predation by house cats! So yes, by all means, post up!
Just to be clear, I'm not dismissing climate change as a source of concern, nor suggesting that we shouldn't be trying to reduce emissions, but that it now overshadows everything to do with the environment. I would also add that I think using language such as "emergency" isn't helpful. Like the old "Smoking kills" warnings, alarmist messages can be counter-productive and make people more resistant to change.

In the 1990s, The British Trust for Ornithology was in the midst of transferring its 50+ years of millions of card-based records (eg ringing, nest records, phenological data) to computer. As this mammoth task proceeded, on-screen analysis of the building electronic database revealed widespread trend changes in dates of arrival and departure of migrants, earlier laying dates of residents, and mismatches of changes with food availability. For many bird species, their earlier arrival or breeding coincided with earlier availability of food sources, but for a number of bird species, especially those for whom caterpillars were a crucial food for nestlings, the caterpillar phenology was changing more slowly and so nest productivity reduced. Yet other migrant bird species, the Common Swift in particular, were behaviourally into rigid migration times, and found that several insect main prey species at the breeding grounds had already peaked.

These changes correlated well with rising mean temperatures earlier in the year and being maintained for longer periods; winter mean temperatures also showed a steady rise, which was reflected in changing numbers and locations of winter migrants, and reduced proportions of residents undergoing short migrations distances. Papers published at that time attributed these considerable changes over a relatively short timescale to climate change. the only thing that has changed since is a general acceleration of these processes. So, from the mid-1930s almost a century until now, the data on (mostly) UK birds at the BTO document relentless change due to climate change.

Climate change is a highly complex subject, particularly in those branches of science that have to develop understanding how chaotic systems (such as the atmosphere, the oceans, and the disproportionate affect of small incremental changes on the systems that function in dynamic cycles like seasonal changes) work on their own or in conjunction with others. The sheer scope of the subject and the difficulty that ordinary people have in understanding the bewildering incomprehensibility of scientific detail well beyond their own experience isn't surprising. For some, it's a case of "If I don't understand it, it must be rubbish".

Hundreds of thousands of researchers working in dozens of interlinked scientific disciplines in over 200 countries at scientific institutes, universities and in the field are directly involved with aspects of climate research. Every single author of a peer-reviewed scientific paper published in a reputable journal knows that the result of any research that presaged a break-through that would significantly lessen the task of limiting climate change would result in a Nobel Prize. So far, no magic bullet has been found, let alone hypothesised. The evidence is that climate change at the rate it is happening now is due to a multiplicity of human-caused factors.
MJB

Just to be clear, I'm not dismissing climate change as a source of concern, nor suggesting that we shouldn't be trying to reduce emissions, but that it now overshadows everything to do with the environment. I would also add that I think using language such as "emergency" isn't helpful. Like the old "Smoking kills" warnings, alarmist messages can be counter-productive and make people more resistant to change.
I would add that in the U.S., no one is pushing things that would actually help reduce emissions in an environmental and financially responsible way. Nuclear energy is currently the best clean energy, and is the only technology that is developed enough to actually provide a steady widespread energy source. Instead the push is for solar, which takes up habitat and farmland, and wind, which kills birds (as well as the fact that the blades are virtually un-recyclable). Both are unreliable and can't provide steady energy production yet. America is also ignoring hydrogen, which is an energy source I'm a big fan of. Of course nuclear fusion should be pursued as well.

There is also the push for electric cars, which have their own environmental problems (what are we going to do with all the batteries?), and they also require energy from the electric grid. I don't see any way in which fossil fuels can be totally replaced in vehicles and especially heavy equipment any time soon. Electric technology just isn't that good yet.

I am in favor of a market based approach that gradually moves away from fossil fuels, because clean energy doesn't pollute and we will eventually run out of fossil fuels. What I am not in favor of is a government forced move that hurts the poor and the environment (as well as the fact the U.S. is already bankrupt and needs to spend less money). This screaming of a "climate emergency" by many is irresponsible and leads to one-track policies.

The biggest stupidity is the idea that shutting down pipelines and production in the U.S will remove demand and somehow help the environment. Instead we just buy our oil from countries with less stringent environmental standards and end up hurting the environment and our economy.

There's my 2 cents, I will say no more about politics.

Hydrogen isn't an energy source it's hugely energy intensive and inefficient to obtain with currently available technology. It's useful as a storage and transport system.

Hydrogen isn't an energy source it's hugely energy intensive and inefficient to obtain with currently available technology. It's useful as a storage and transport system.
It has potential as an energy source, and I remember reading an article saying that the U.S. has mostly quit investing in its development.

Hydrogen as a fuel splits into two classes.
"Green Hydrogen": Which is Hydrogen as an energy transfer medium. One uses cheap electricity, off peak nuclear, surplus wind etc to crack water into Hydrogen and then you use fuel cells to convert it back to electricity at some point in the distance, either distant in time or space. It is hugely inefficient way to use one's surpluses of electricity but has some niche applications.

Then there is "Blue Hydrogen": Here rather than using water as your hydrogen feed stock you use natural gas, methane. In an ideal system you would use your surplus instantaneous electricity to crack methane extracted from the ground, sequester the carbon back in ground and then pipe/store the hydrogen to use in fuel cells. Blue Hydrogen is little more than a green washing exercise invented by the oil and gas industry to carry on doing what it was doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back