• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wolf introduction into UK - Guardian interview with Derek Gow (1 Viewer)

I think deliberately releasing wolves is harder to defend than them walking in by themselves, which is already getting people very vociferous about stopping protection in the EU.

I've a lot of time for the author Patrick Barkham, having met him personally at Cley NWT and read two of his books.
However, the subject person, Mr. Gow, has always come across to me as a determined Maverick, interested in only his point of view and ambitions, seemingly unwilling to listen to opposing views let alone taking heed. He has a wonderful record of raising wild species and their husbandry though his aims seem rather fanciful on occasion, this being one of them.

I've a lot of time for the author Patrick Barkham, having met him personally at Cley NWT and read two of his books.
However, the subject person, Mr. Gow, has always come across to me as a determined Maverick, interested in only his point of view and ambitions, seemingly unwilling to listen to opposing views let alone taking heed. He has a wonderful record of raising wild species and their husbandry though his aims seem rather fanciful on occasion, this being one of them.
I would be worried about being eaten by a wolf whilst doing photography in the cotswolds :oops:

There are several criteria that have to be met before considering reintroductions and keen and willing though I am to see Wolves back in the UK the key one - has the cause of the original extinction been removed - has not been met in a country where the moneyed class won't even put up with Hen Harriers and Golden Eagles and the un-moneyed still think Red Riding Hood is a documentary.

John

I would be worried about being eaten by a wolf whilst doing photography in the cotswolds :oops:
I'm afraid wolves display better taste than to gratuitously snaffle up photographers - or any human for that matter, wolf attacks on people being very rare. So you'll have to jump into a tiger enclosure in the zoo if such is your fancy for making headlines.

I'm afraid wolves display better taste than to gratuitously snaffle up photographers - or any human for that matter, wolf attacks on people being very rare. So you'll have to jump into a tiger enclosure in the zoo if such is your fancy for making headlines.
The question should then be asked which is really more life-threatening for people?!

85 deaths in 24 years from dog attacks, in the same period 0 deaths from wolves.

OK. There are many more dogs than wolves in Germany, the probability of being bitten to death by a dog is much higher. On the other hand, there will never be as many wolves as dogs, and the probability of dying from a wolf attack remains extremely low.

Andreas

The question should then be asked which is really more life-threatening for people?!

85 deaths in 24 years from dog attacks, in the same period 0 deaths from wolves.

OK. There are many more dogs than wolves in Germany, the probability of being bitten to death by a dog is much higher. On the other hand, there will never be as many wolves as dogs, and the probability of dying from a wolf attack remains extremely low.

Andreas
Then there's traffic, and humans..... the question of being eaten ought not to be a consideration at all in the Wolf reintroduction matter.

John

Then there's traffic, and humans..... the question of being eaten ought not to be a consideration at all in the Wolf reintroduction matter.
It shouldn't, but it is.
Here in Germany the hunting lobby keeps making up the "Rotkäppchen" fairy tale.
In my opinion, most hunters don't like competition for prey...
Predators are always hunted down relentlessly and then there's a big, bad wolf. :rolleyes:

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back