• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coconut (1 Viewer)

tucansam

I just made another batch of suet cake, and this time I added some shredded coconut. Within minutes of me putting it out, I had dozens of birds in the yard, and dozens of fights!!!! This stuff must be like crack :) My wrens were openly hostile toward each other and a couple of thrashers came in and ran everyone off. Even the disinterested dove who were all ground feeding yards away got spooked and split.

I will be doing another YT video for this particular recipe. I think coconut will be a regular staple in these suet cakes for now, at least in small amounts.

***As I type this, there are birds chasing each other all around the yard. I don't know what they got into, but its like cats and catnip. They are all going nuts. The only thing that changed in the suet cake this week is the addition of coconut.

In fact, I finish my suet cakes in the freezer overnight, so they set hard. Most of the time the birds don't want anything to do with the frozen cakes when I first put them out. This time however they were on it instantly.

Anyone giving coconut (unsweetened of course) to their backyard birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back