• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suet recipe, heat tolerant! (1 Viewer)

tucansam

I have been experimenting with attracting birds using various suet recipes, and have found one that keep the backyard birds coming back from dawn to dusk. I thought I would share in case anyone else has an interest in trying homemade recipes (mine starts with a commercial base). I have seen a dozen or more different types of birds over the last few weeks.

The factor I am most happy with is that its heat tolerant. I realize the fat can spoil, and the suet cake does go back into the fridge or freezer when not fully in use, however on extremely hot days (SE AZ), so far, this has held up well, no melting. By contrast, the commercial suet cake that I start with melts into a puddle, by itself.

I can't wait to see how much love this recipe gets in the cold months when they actually need the high fat content.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back