• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia's Rare birds - as they become accessible (2 Viewers)

AveryBartels

Hello Birdforum world,

Colombia is a country near and dear to me and as I have a fairly consistent finger on the pulse of the birding scene down there I thought I would start a thread to update what birds are now gettable that have been off-limits/are new to science. The first installment will be dedicated to three species and note that these are all considered perfectly safe to visit at this time:

1. Helmeted Curassow (Pauxi pauxi) - There is a new site for this enigmatic species near the city of Tame in Arauca (flights Friday and Monday from Bogota, with Satena). The site is called Finca Altamira (https://ebird.org/hotspot/L28124073 and Finca Altamira y Nido del Pauxi - Orniverse) and basic accommodation and meals are available on site, or you could probably stay in a hotel in/near Tame. I don't know exactly the logistics of getting the Curassow but my understanding is that there is a trail at the finca that goes through good forest and that they are seen regularly/reliably here with some patience. I know of several Colombian birders and at least one tourist who have been to see it. Note also that there are apparently sight records of Andean Laniisoma at this site!

The local guide to arrange a visit to Finca Altamira is Steven Rodriguez Gonzales, contact via whatsapp at +57 316 471-1289

2. Yellow-knobbed Curassow (Crax daubentoni) - With almost it's entire range in Venezuela this is something of a logistical endemic for Colombia but it is apparently quite easy near the border city of Arauca and would pair well with a trip for the Helmeted Currasow. Jaguar is also apparently seen regularly in the area.

The local guide to see this bird is John Edison Alvarez and can be contacted on whatsapp at +57 317 699-9459

3. Colorful Puffleg (Eriocnemis mirabilis) - a new site for this species was found in January, 2024 just outside of the major city of Cali! This is roughly 80-90km north of it's previous known range and while the reliability of this site is yet to be determined, it makes this species, at least in theory much more gettable! The site for it is called Mirador Verdeplata (https://ebird.org/hotspot/L21012793) and it is about a ~1.5hr drive from Cali, a 4x4 is necessary to get to the accommodation/trailhead for the Puffleg. The accommodation looks basic but serviceable in one cabaña with a double bed and two dorms (3 and 4 beds respectively). Meals are offered as well and they can arange transport from Cali.

To get to the area with the Puffleg, a ~2.5hr hike is required. Having not been here I cannot comment on this but the local guide did say that it is not easy, so come prepared for a n adventure.

The local guide is named Oswaldo Suarez Gonzalez and he can be reached on whatsapp at +57 300 346-2599

Please feel free to message me here or privately for more info.

Last edited:
This is a great idea for a thread. It would be nice to do something like this on a global basis - I was thinking of starting a thread giving details of difficult birds that are currently available at feeding stations.

Yes it's a fantastic idea for a thread! And Tachira Antpitta must lurk somewhere near that Helmeted Currasow site, it's only a matter of time before someone finds a spot.

Another corollary to this thread would be little-known birds that are not endemic or near-endemic to Colombia but which are far easier there than anywhere else, at sites somewhat away from the more traditional birding circuit. I am thinking of things like Crestless Curassow at various sites in the llanos, Spectacled Bristle-Tyrant at RN La Isla Escondida in Putumayo, or Orange-eyed Flycatcher at the similarly-named RN El Escondite, also in Putumayo.

Yes it's a fantastic idea for a thread! And Tachira Antpitta must lurk somewhere near that Helmeted Currasow site, it's only a matter of time before someone finds a spot.

Another corollary to this thread would be little-known birds that are not endemic or near-endemic to Colombia but which are far easier there than anywhere else, at sites somewhat away from the more traditional birding circuit. I am thinking of things like Crestless Curassow at various sites in the llanos, Spectacled Bristle-Tyrant at RN La Isla Escondida in Putumayo, or Orange-eyed Flycatcher at the similarly-named RN El Escondite, also in Putumayo.

Black tinamu, white-streaked antvireo and the east-andean form of crimson-bellied Woodpecker (now split I believe?) at the vereda campucana trail.

Chestnut-bellied Cotinga and Masked Mountain Tanager at the Paramo Bordoncillo.

I considered this, but my reasoning for limiting this particular thread were two fold. First, most of what you and fbeeldens mention is reasonably accessible information that I believe folks can access with a small/moderate amount of digging. That being said, the range of great birds in Southern Colombia in particular, and new birding sites there is growing rapidly! Second, my aim is to have a fairly streamlined thread, focused really on getting NEW information out quickly.

Of course, if anyone wants to start another thread more in line with what you suggest I would be fully in favour!

With regards to Tachira Antpitta, I have heard rumours...so yes, it could well be that one day it is gettable in Colombia.

Breiner Tarazona is planning to organise treks for the Santa Marta Sabrewing soon. Not sure if that qualifies?
My understanding is that the new area for the SM Sabrewing is still in the stage of working with the community to develop a tourism plan to ensure safe access and protection of the birds habitat. That is indeed encouraging that Breiner is planning trips there, hopefully this means it will be open soon! I know that another Colombian guide was just there this past weekend as well.

I was hopeful/anticipating this being one of the species I would highlight here within the next few months.

4. "Paisa" Antpitta - another new Antpitta, apparently, for the land of Antpittas. Part of the "Tawny Antpitta" complex, a description for this one is supposedly in the works. It seemingly has a similar range to the Antioquia Brushfinch, being found north of Medellin. The eBird map for Tawny Antpitta shows a bunch of points, so perhaps not too difficult once you get into the right area but it is now being fed at Montanerito Paisa reserve near Llanos de la Cuvia. Also at this site are the Antioquia Brushfinch and Black-throated Flowerpiercer.

Edit: the contact for arranging a visit to the Montanerito Paisa reserve is Santiago Chiquito (Log in to Facebook) on whatsapp at +57 3175165493

Last edited:
5. Rio Orinoco Spinetail and 6. "Orinoco" (Lesser) Wagtail-tyrant - the Spinetail is seemingly regularly being seen on the few boat trips out of Puerto Inirida that have gone for it (eg https://ebird.org/checklist/S156095378). Local guide Daniel Camilo Orjuela can help arrange that Daniel Camilo Orjuela Ducuara and on whatsapp at +57 350 3772929

Both are seemingly easy/common around Puerto Carreño, on the Rio Orinoco at Isla Pisal (https://ebird.org/checklist/S145844271) and Isla Parhueña (https://ebird.org/checklist/S145794039). Interestingly, they have also been found up the Rio Meta, west of Puerto Carreño (eg https://ebird.org/colombia/checklist/S125484477).

I'm not sure at present who would be the go to local guide, but I see from ebird that Daniel has also birded the area so could likely help with organization. However, I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a boat for hire and the closest site (Isa Parhueña) seems only about 10km boat ride south of town.

7. Undescribed Tit-tyrant (Anairetes nov.) - an erroneous ebird report, with photo, of Tufted Tit-tyrant from Cocuy National Park in the Eastern Andes from August 2023 appears to be an undescribed taxon. This bird appears most similar to Ash-breasted Tit-tyrant of Peru/Bolivia. While details are scant, a comment from the observer of the ebird checklist (https://ebird.org/checklist/S147106979) was to the effect that the bird was seen somewhere along the first 5km of the Pulpito del Diablo trail, which seems to be the park entrance here: Checkpoint - PNN Cocuy · El Cocuy, Boyaca, Colombia .

This is a bit of an awkward bird to get to in terms of fitting it into a Colombia itinerary (8-9hrs from Bogota) but could be combined with other East Andes sites like Soata/Bucaramanga etc. Note also that this is quite high elevation, being in the ~4000m range.

I haven't heard of anyone going for this bird yet, though I suspect at least some of the local Colombian birders have tried for it, or at the very least will be soon. The isolated high elevation habitats of PNN Cocuy could well hold other undescribed gems!

Black tinamu, white-streaked antvireo and the east-andean form of crimson-bellied Woodpecker (now split I believe?) at the vereda campucana trail.

Chestnut-bellied Cotinga and Masked Mountain Tanager at the Paramo Bordoncillo.
For info, Troy Shortell and I saw Black Tinamou on (and I mean literally on!) the Campucana Trail, 11th Jan 2024. It's a walk to get up into the good habitat where the tinamous are to be found, but worth it (so long as you strike lucky)...c18kms round trip for us (you can go much further) but the trail is in good shape, so perfectly do-able for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. We also scored Dusky Spinetail, Coppery-chested Jacamar, Black-streaked Puffbird and Rufous-vented Whitecap, and a female Cerulean Warbler was my first since Texas in April '96!

We were unable to find the tinamou on the way up, but as we descended, a vocalising tinamou got our hopes up. However it would not come in despite subterfuge. As we worked our way down-slope our ex-hunter local guide said as we approached the end of the suitable habitat zone, ‘ah well, at least we can say we got close'. And then a LARGE black shape appeared around a corner on the trail walking uphill towards us! Cue pandemonium as the beast paused before turning tail and fleeing with us in hot pursuit- great brief views for all, one out of focus shot for Troy, and a 2nd view of the bird’s *ss as it dropped off the trail and disappeared into the forest. NB we were told that a major new road is planned which will kill Campucana as a forest site, so if you're planning a visit go soon...Two days later at the other (W) end of the Trampolin de la Muerte we scored 3 Chestnut-bellied Cotingas on a ridge trail E of Laguna de la Cocha @ c3,500m. Happily we were also able to get a group of Swedish birders who were targetting the cotinga for the second time in two years onto the birds :)

Two days later at the other (W) end of the Trampolin de la Muerte we scored 3 Chestnut-bellied Cotingas on a ridge trail E of Laguna de la Cocha @ c3,500m. Happily we were also able to get a group of Swedish birders who were targetting the cotinga for the second time in two years onto the birds :)
This would be Paramo Bordoncillo I imagine? Probably the best site anywhere for Chestnut-bellied Cotinga but it can be plagued by fog so it is by no means guaranteed there. One of the better sites for Masked Mountain-Tanager as well

4. "Paisa" Antpitta - another new Antpitta, apparently, for the land of Antpittas. Part of the "Tawny Antpitta" complex, a description for this one is supposedly in the works. It seemingly has a similar range to the Antioquia Brushfinch, being found north of Medellin. The eBird map for Tawny Antpitta shows a bunch of points, so perhaps not too difficult once you get into the right area but it is now being fed at Montanerito Paisa reserve near Llanos de la Cuvia. Also at this site are the Antioquia Brushfinch and Black-throated Flowerpiercer.

Edit: the contact for arranging a visit to the Montanerito Paisa reserve is Santiago Chiquito (Log in to Facebook) on whatsapp at +57 3175165493
Update on access to the Paisa Antpitta:

For those self-driving, note that at least one of the roads north of this area is very much not safe to drive due to security issues! Please only arrange a visit to the area with a local guide, either through Santiago or one of the other Colombia tour providers. The access from the South (Medellin) is fine, but best to let your local guide/contact know of your planned driving route if thinking of deviating from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back