• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Eider Morecambe Bay (3 Viewers)

condor1992

Spain
I was thinking of visiting Morecambe Bay to see common eider this summer.

I've heard some good things about Foulney island, and although the tides do unnerve me, how good are the views of the eiders there, typically?
If not, is South Walney still any good for them? I've also heard there are escaped emperor geese here

On Foulney some areas are fenced off to protect the terns in particular, but also the Eider. You should still be able to see them well though.

South Walney is not good for them, as the gullery has declined so have the Eider. Other than Foulney the best area in Furness is the Leven Estuary, particularly Chapel Island but the creches would be visible from places like Canal Foot if tides unnerve you.

There's no easy way to say it but the Emperor Geese are presumably all dead. There is a hybrid Emperor x Barnacle which was certainly around still in 2023 and occasionally gets reported as an Emperor.

Last edited:
Foulney gives great views. The causeway is only covered by big tides and then only for a short time. If you time your crossing with the falling tide you can have 8 hours or more to walk out to the birds and back.

Foulney gives great views. The causeway is only covered by big tides and then only for a short time. If you time your crossing with the falling tide you can have 8 hours or more to walk out to the birds and back.
In the summer (June), when does low tide typically occur?

I wanted to visit the reserve imminently.
When do the arctic terns typically return? I have heard some things about divebombing terns here
Has the eider colony declined here as well, or is it still large-ish?
Is there any possibility of a red-breasted mergenser here?

I wanted to visit the reserve imminently.
When do the arctic terns typically return? I have heard some things about divebombing terns here
Has the eider colony declined here as well, or is it still large-ish?
Is there any possibility of a red-breasted mergenser here?
There have been several counts over the winter of upwards of 5000 Eider off Foulney / Walney so still large numbers in the area. They seem to be breeding more at Chapel Island than Walney Island these days, but as far as I know still use Foulney in some numbers.

I didn't think divebombing terns was ever an issue at Foulney because the area they use is cordoned off, it's not like the Farnes where you walk through the colony. If it happens I think it's rare.

There's a possibility of Red-breasted Merganser but much reduced than over the winter months.

Basically, what Stephen says.

There are lots of Eiders around the Furness peninsular but they can be spread out over a wider area than previously. In addition to what Stephen says the numbers at Hodbarrow seem to be increasing (purely anecdotal, not any sort of official count). Females are likely to be sitting on eggs now or very soon and the males will be milling about with nothing much to do until they start moulting soon. In June very large numbers of moulting males may be seen around Foulney.

Access on Foulney is a bit more restricted than in past years following lots of disturbance from dog walkers during Covid when the island couldn't be wardened. I think the tern colony failed completely in 2020 and hasn't really fully recovered yet.

I visited Foulney on Friday of last week and only saw two distant Common / Arctic Terns. There were lots of Eiders roosting out at the low tide mark though. If you just want to observe Eiders, Foulney may be a good bet. Equally Hodbarrow may be good. If you are looking to get photos though it's hard to say. You may get some good views or you may get nothing.

Sorry, that's perhaps not overly helpful, but the situation regarding the local tern and eider populations does seem to be quite variable at present.

If Eider are your photographic target you may be better off on the other side of the country at Seahouses: not only do they breed on the Farne Islands where trips are once again running this year but there are usually a few loafing around Seahouses harbour and nearby rocky shores as well as at other Northumberland harbours.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back