• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eider in Morecambe Bay? (2 Viewers)

condor1992

Spain
I was very intrigued to hear reports that common eider breeds and lives at Walney Island, particularly South Walney. I always wanted to see this duck, as I consider it the UK's prettiest native duck.
Has anyone been here during the summer period? How easy would the eider be to see?
One hesitation I have is the cost of getting there for me is too high for my budget (Avanti, cough). So, does eider turn up in more 'accessible' places during the winter, maybe North Wales or at least around Lancaster, or maybe the Wash? Is there a chance of king eider at these locations?

Hundreds of Eider bred around Walney and the other side of Barrow. A trip to Foulney Island would yield great views of hundreds of Eider plus 3 species of tern.

I think you should invest in some 'Where to watch birds'-type books - both regional and national. They would provide you with lots of very basic and fundamental birding info for the UK.

So, does eider turn up in more 'accessible' places during the winter, maybe North Wales or at least around Lancaster, or maybe the Wash? Is there a chance of king eider at these locations?
Yes they don't just turn up around Lancaster they nest on the Lune estuary, Wyre Estuary and Ribble Estuary in Lancashire having overspilled from Walney. I'm not sure if there are other sites south of the Ribble in terms of nesting but they occur in winter at places including Hilbre in Cheshire.

Yes they're present in North Wales and breed, particularly on Puffin Island. They can be seen from adjacent coasts between Aberogwen and Llanfairfechan.

Last week from the caravan park near Cockersand Abbey (not far from Lancaster) on the Wyre there were good numbers of Eider close to the shore at high tide.
I think it is just off the bus route to Glasson Dock if you don't have transport.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back