• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or parrot crossbill, western Norway (1 Viewer)

Redmist

Supporter
Norway
I saw this bird and heard a bird (not sure if it’s the same one) close to the coast today (august) in western Norway. I’m not at all experienced with crossbillls so I need some more experienced eyes and ears for an opinion. I only have this poor photo but from this angle the bill looks quite big and bulky, and the call sounds deeper than the common crossbill in my Collins app. So possibly a parrot then? Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 70F339FF-D6CE-4D14-A69D-009DB494607E.jpeg
    70F339FF-D6CE-4D14-A69D-009DB494607E.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Red Crossbill 2021-08-26 11:33:01 in Bakkasund.wav
    749.1 KB
Thanks CARERY for the quick and precise response. That was my first conclusion but I started to doubt myself when I got home and studied the pictures. And thanks for the link to BIF, looks like a great resource for future 👍

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back