• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Yellowthroat? Need confirmation - Troy Meadows Wetlands - Parsippany - New Jersey (3 Viewers)

rascolnicov

Merlin Sound ID identified a common yellowthroat sound from the direction where I found this bird.
Thinking it might be a female common yellowthroat but have doubts, looking to confirm.
Thank you

Attachments

• DSCN3365.JPG
    DSCN3365.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3363.JPG
    DSCN3363.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3364.JPG
    DSCN3364.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • DSCN3376.JPG
    DSCN3376.JPG
    899.1 KB · Views: 45
Doubts well-founded. Common yellowthroat has unmarked wings; this has two biggish whitish wing-bars and prominent whitish secondary- and tertial-edges - and short primaries. It's an Empidonax flycatcher - someone else will guess at the species for you.

Based on your location in North Jersey, the apparent brown color, the wing bars and the white eye ring, I'd say a least flycatcher. Empidonax Minimus.
I agree although the eye ring isn't as pronounced as it often is in this species. Note also the short primary projection.

It would be easier to identify this flycatcher from call, did you hear a chebeck? Emphasis on second syllable, dry and insect-like. Software isn't the most reliable

It would be easier to identify this flycatcher from call, did you hear a chebeck? Emphasis on second syllable, dry and insect-like. Software isn't the most reliable
I am a beginner, have not seen this bird before (or heard). There were many birds in the same area, Sound ID identified a long list.
(but I was seeing mostly the red winged blackbirds, lol)
Previous comments gave me the confidence to report as Least Flycatcher, thanks to all

I am a beginner, have not seen this bird before (or heard). There were many birds in the same area, Sound ID identified a long list.
(but I was seeing mostly the red winged blackbirds, lol)
Previous comments gave me the confidence to report as Least Flycatcher, thanks to all
Often (but not always) yellow throats are more skulking and difficult to see. In contrast, many of the flycatchers allow fairly close approach---which you need because they're so difficult to identify...

That explains why I couldn't see a single yellowthroat yesterday, despite actively looking for them while following the app which was identifying them constantly just about everywhere and I could hear them too). Same was true yesterday of Eastern Towhee, Red Eye Vireo.
These birds are playing (too) hard to catch :)

That explains why I couldn't see a single yellowthroat yesterday, despite actively looking for them while following the app which was identifying them constantly just about everywhere and I could hear them too). Same was true yesterday of Eastern Towhee, Red Eye Vireo.
These birds are playing (too) hard to catch :)
Yellowthroat finally located today, same tree.

Attachments

• DSCN3432.JPG
    DSCN3432.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back