• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Commute List - Record Broken (4 Viewers)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
On every journey to work, from/to Holmfirth, to or from Manchester Airport I keep a note of the birds I see or hear, to keep boredom/road rage at bay.

Usually I get about twenty-five to thirty-five species - depending on the time of day or night (I work shifts), but sometimes as many as forty.

Yesterday I broke my personal best of 41 by four! - to give a total of 45.

This morning I scored 37 - and five of those I hadn't had the previous day.

Of those 49 my best birds were:

Common Sandpiper
Common Snipe
Oystercatcher
Curlew
Little Owl
Sand Martin

These did not incude others sometimes seen on other commutes, such as:

Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Tawny Owl
Barn Owl
Common Buzzard
Raven
Golden Plover

Some seasonal and passage birds include:

Goosander
Fieldfare
Redwing
Stonechat
Wheatear

And along with a whole host of one-offs/seldoms:

Red Kite
Peregrine
Merlin
Common Tern
Mute Swan

And several others seen not infrequently:

Herring & Great black-backed Gulls
Sparrowhawk
Bullfinch
Long-tailed Tit
etc

mean that I never know which of many species might grace the journey.

It makes for an interesting commute, enlivening the 37 miles each working day.

My personal rules are:

Any bird heard or seen between my front door & workplace door.
No detours except under 50 metres - mainly to get off the road.
No prolongued stops (I generally reckon five minutes to have a scan/listen).

Anyone else do this?

What a great way to liven up your commute H2.

I don't commute any more, but when I did on a nice day I had the sunroof open and one day heard my first Perthshire Chiffchaff (they're actually quite difficult to get inland here (or were... they getting a bit more common now)). That was a red-letter day!

My commuting days are a bit too far in the past to remember now, but maybe I could compile an overall list if I sat down and though about it. Probably wouldn't get to more than about 30 though.

Your one day list is almost as long as the list of breeding birds in the country I live in!

Niels

A beautiful morning again today. Common Sandpiper visible from the road. Heron, Great-spotted Woodpecker and Bullfinch all added to the numbers - an excellent count of 41. And Red Grouse refused to show again.

I'll see if this evening's journey can top that.

Nice list I usually end up with same birds all the time with a few different ones thrown in for good measure.

Despite fog over the tops again this morning I managed a very reasonable 39.
Common Sandpiper and Oystercatcher heard, Snipe sitting on telegraph pole by the road, Curlew and Lapwing both obliged, and three warblers heard as I passed.
The Red Grouse have come out of hiding now too.
If only a single Rook could have shown!

On every journey to work, from/to Holmfirth, to or from Manchester Airport I keep a note of the birds I see or hear, to keep boredom/road rage at bay.

Usually I get about twenty-five to thirty-five species - depending on the time of day or night (I work shifts), but sometimes as many as forty.

Yesterday I broke my personal best of 41 by four! - to give a total of 45.

This morning I scored 37 - and five of those I hadn't had the previous day.

Of those 49 my best birds were:

Common Sandpiper
Common Snipe
Oystercatcher
Curlew
Little Owl
Sand Martin

These did not incude others sometimes seen on other commutes, such as:

Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Tawny Owl
Barn Owl
Common Buzzard
Raven
Golden Plover

Some seasonal and passage birds include:

Goosander
Fieldfare
Redwing
Stonechat
Wheatear

And along with a whole host of one-offs/seldoms:

Red Kite
Peregrine
Merlin
Common Tern
Mute Swan

And several others seen not infrequently:

Herring & Great black-backed Gulls
Sparrowhawk
Bullfinch
Long-tailed Tit
etc

mean that I never know which of many species might grace the journey.

It makes for an interesting commute, enlivening the 37 miles each working day.

My personal rules are:

Any bird heard or seen between my front door & workplace door.
No detours except under 50 metres - mainly to get off the road.
No prolongued stops (I generally reckon five minutes to have a scan/listen).

Anyone else do this?
WOW! I wish my day at work could be so exciting!
I only see about 20 different species...

After several days of atrocious weather it was somewhat brighter today, which meant that there was a much better commute.

Several Buzzards - inc. three together, a Cormorant, a Grey Wagtail, two or three Reed Buntings, and highlight of the journey - a male Peregrine at Manchester Airport just before I went in.

Unlike on the way home last night at 23:30 hours - zero birds heard or seen must be another kind of record!

Amazingly a Cuckoo was singing this morning - which took my journey total to 40.

On the way home two of the first four were new for the day - Blue Tit & Dunnock! And a Stonechat later took the day's tally to 43.

What a brilliant idea. Unfortunately, my commute consists of the Victoria line and then the Jubilee line. Not sure i'll get too many on that.

Inspired by your efforts halftwo i decided to cycle to work today rather than get the miserable tube. Of the 10 or so miles, 8 of them are along canals and rivers so it was a really nice bike ride with plenty of birds.

My 'commute list' now stands at 22 with the highlights being House Martin and Sand Martin. A few common birds missing from that list so hopefully i can add them on my way home.

I'll keep you updated.

Hi Rubery Blue & MK90.

I'm on holiday at the moment (just back from the Seychelles (honeymoon)) & still have several more days off. So no posts from my commutes for a while.

Yesterday fairly low numbers on the way - but including at least five birds not seen or heard on my way home - and that total was 41.
If only some of those showed I would have broken the record!

Unusual birds yesterday including Common Gull - summer ending?!

I've got a problem with my weekly commute route; it takes me through St James's Park (London). Sadly, most of the waterfowl aren't countable!

My commute cycle take me past Walthamstow Marshes. The other day i was lucky enough to cycle right underneath the Rosefinch there, singing his heart out. Don't think i'll beat that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back