• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparing compact binoculars? (1 Viewer)

sbpbirder

Have reposted this in a new thread, because although it seems obvious I'm not sure how to go about ensuring I spend a fair amount of dosh on the right binoculars...holidays are getting nearer...so I've started thinking again about compact binoculars. I've read lots of the threads and enjoyed considering lots of different points of view, so now I think we'll go shopping!

'On paper' I think I have narrowed it down to the Swaros 8x25 or Zeiss Victory 8x20 and maybe the Nikon's and Hawke's. They will end up being our only bins. So I wonder, as the time in a shop is so constrained compared to the time the bins will be owned, what things to consider when actually comparing them? Also - maybe a daft question - how is it best to compare them? :)

Hi SPB

Hope you are not flooded out down there.

There is one fundamental difference between the Swaro and Zeiss compacts: the Swaro has two hinges and the Zeiss only one.

Twin-hinge compacts can be horrible if the two hinges are loose enough for them to open up or close together every time you use them. It can be bad enough for the hinges to move just by you applying pressure to the focus wheel. But be clear: I have never heard this happen with the Swaro, but you need to be aware of this aspect.

The Zeiss only has one hinge so it feels more like a conventional pair of bins in that respect except that the hinge is offset to one side to allow one of the optical tubes to fold away underneath it. Its a neat trick that avoids the pitfalls of a twin hinge but (theres always a but) it works best for a right handed person. A left handed person could soon learn to operate them OK but it wouldn't be instinctive.

The Swaro has a usefully larger objective lens giving you a little extra brightness and ease of view but you will need to pay £50 extra for it and carry around an extra 120 grams.

Good luck

Lee

I have both.

On the matter of the double hinge vs the single hinge, properly used they both work the same way. I extend the right tube of the Swarovski fully out to the point where it is locked and then I adjust for my IPD with the left tube hinge. That is really what is done with the Zeiss so there is effectively no difference in the way I use them.

The 25mm objectives on the Swarovski really make a difference. It is easier to use. It's larger eye cups are more comfortable and eye placement is much easier than with the Zeiss. It is also brighter. Eye relief is good on both but is a bit longer on the Swarovski. The Zeiss is shorter and more pocketable.

Personally, I would not buy two compact binoculars. I would get a larger one for the 2nd binocular and if I was going to limit myself to one small binocular I would get the Swarovski 8x30 CL. It is not pocketable to any extent unless one wears a Safari type jacket but it is lightweight enough to carry in a case on ones waist. It will also fit into a medium-small sized purse. That's the way my wife carries hers.

If I did not want to do that I would get the Swarovski 8x25 over the Zeiss although it won't fit into small shirt pockets. It will fit into larger Shirtjacket type pockets.

Bob

Last edited:
Have reposted this in a new thread, because although it seems obvious I'm not sure how to go about ensuring I spend a fair amount of dosh on the right binoculars...holidays are getting nearer...so I've started thinking again about compact binoculars. I've read lots of the threads and enjoyed considering lots of different points of view, so now I think we'll go shopping!

'On paper' I think I have narrowed it down to the Swaros 8x25 or Zeiss Victory 8x20 and maybe the Nikon's and Hawke's. They will end up being our only bins. So I wonder, as the time in a shop is so constrained compared to the time the bins will be owned, what things to consider when actually comparing them? Also - maybe a daft question - how is it best to compare them? :)
Unless you really need the smaller size I would recommend the Swarovski 8x30 CL also. It hangs on your belt quite comfortably and is easier to use and brighter than the 25mm or less compacts. If you really need a compact get the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. It is the best compact.

Thanks for the help - I will see how the dual hinge thing goes.

Any thoughts on how to 'check' the optics or are they much of the same at this price range? What about the Nikon is it the same class as the Swaro and Zeiss?

@Troubador fairly windy and wet down this way but nothing to how it is on the Levels and coasts. :)

Sbpbirder and Others. Greetings. Please allow me to share my experience in which I have found that pairing a specific pair of binoculars to a specific use is almost a "must". In many, many, situations there was no substitute to the compactness of the 8x20 binoculars (Ultravid in my case). These situations include domestic and international urban walks, social gatherings, impromptu hikes that any thing physically bigger than 8x20 size would have not served me well at all.

Then, there are many other situations that any thing smaller than 8x32 (Zeiss and Leica) would not have provided me with the level of enjoyment and satisfaction to the hike or the walk given the beauty of the vistas or the richness of the fauna and flora around. Actually, many of these hikes would have even be better enjoyed with a 7x42 or 8x42 (again, Zeiss and Leica).

I do not have an experience with Swarovski 8x25. Although others have advised of its superior characteristics, its bigger size would not have served me well when the appreciably smaller 8x20 would have been more effective, or when the bigger 8x32 would have served more admirably. Perhaps a pair of 8x20 first, and then 8x32 in good time later would provide you with a superior solution. Enjoy in good health.

Thanks ibramr. What you say is true and we already have 'big bins'. But we have got to the stage where (maybe) compromise over quality is necessary - sometimes when out and about we've not wanted to carry heavier binoculars, so smaller ones mean we have some with us at all times. Then if they are good enough I can see them being first choice because of ease of 'availability'. Though I doubt we will sell the 'big bins' so we will always feel we have the choice. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back