• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Complete novice needing camera & adapter advice (1 Viewer)

Secret Twitcher

Right then all you photographers, I would like to pick your brains for a little advice. After seeing some of the fantastic digiscoped images I have decided to take a tentative step into the world of photography. I have bought a shiny new scope today (Opticron ES80 GA ED with 20-60 HDF eyepiece) but dont have a clue what bits and bats I need to have a reasonable crack at digiscoping. A camera would be a start I reckon. Would anyone be able to recommend a camera/adapter combination which may work well with my scope? If not, what sort of things do I need to be looking for to identify a suitable digiscoping camera? (lens/zoom etc?)

My top budget would be £200 for the lot. Perhaps a bit measly but the scope has nearly cleaned me out!

Have had the opticron & lumix kit (£269) on the infocus website recommended but wondered if it could be done a little cheaper?

Many thanks in advance

I am not familiar with your brand of scope...but do know when I was looking for a camera for mine, it helped to take the scope into a camera shop or where they sell point and shoots, and try them out. Unless someone has tried it and you know it will work on your scope with your adapter, you might have a ton of vignetting..

I do not understand the prices you are looking at. Here in the States the cost of the FS10, or FH1 here is $119. USD, that is 77 pound. See my post of Birdforum, Aug. 31 st:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=305

for attaching a threaded body mount ring to the camera. An LX3 adapter tube then attaches to that to give you threads. I like the Baader Hyperion 17mm eyepiece for digiscoping. It has threads on the top. A great lens for only $119. from OPT in Calif. This is a 1 1/4 inch astro mount. Can the scope take a 1 1/4 mount eyepiece? So, at about 77 English Pounds for each the camera and eyepiece you are not talking much money. Gene

Note: A fixed eyepiece, rather than a zoom, is always better quality for digiscoping, all makes, all brands.

Last edited:
I do not understand the prices you are looking at. Here in the States the cost of the FS10, or FH1 here is $119. USD, that is 77 pound. See my post of Birdforum, Aug. 31 st:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=305

for attaching a threaded body mount ring to the camera. An LX3 adapter tube then attaches to that to give you threads. I like the Baader Hyperion 17mm eyepiece for digiscoping. It has threads on the top. A great lens for only $119. from OPT in Calif. This is a 1 1/4 inch astro mount. Can the scope take a 1 1/4 mount eyepiece? So, at about 77 English Pounds for each the camera and eyepiece you are not talking much money. Gene

Note: A fixed eyepiece, rather than a zoom, is always better quality for digiscoping, all makes, all brands.

The Opticron doesn't use the 1.25" type of eyepiece you are thinking of. Only a couple of spotting scopes do, like the Pentax or Celestron Regal ones. LX10 here in the UK varies from around £100 to £110.

Paul.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll have a trundle down to in focus to see if i like the lumix set up. I'll then buy it from Sherwoods if I do!

Hi All,
Total newbie here. I have questions about focusing (using a p&s). Should I:
a. set camera focus to infinity (e.g., by setting to "landscape" mode and use scope focus
b. use normal (or macro) shooting mode and autofocus
c. something else ?
Would the approach change shooting distant vs. closer objects?
Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott. The vast majority of digiscopers use autofocus if their system allows it (especially with a p&s). The way I do it is to focus the scope on the subject without the camera attached, attach the camera, refocus the scope again whilst viewing through the camera lcd (not always needed). and then autofocus and shoot. However there are many variations on this. Some digiscopers never refocus the scope after they've attached the camera whereas others leave the camera fixed in place more or less permanently.

I tend to use 'normal' autofocus but many seem to prefer macro. It probably depends on which camera you use, to some extent.

David

It depends on the camera as well. In some cameras (f.i. now a bit obsolete canon a590 and similar models) autofocus did not work properly when digiscoping.

Hi Scott. The vast majority of digiscopers use autofocus if their system allows it (especially with a p&s). The way I do it is to focus the scope on the subject without the camera attached, attach the camera, refocus the scope again whilst viewing through the camera lcd (not always needed). and then autofocus and shoot. However there are many variations on this. Some digiscopers never refocus the scope after they've attached the camera whereas others leave the camera fixed in place more or less permanently.

I tend to use 'normal' autofocus but many seem to prefer macro. It probably depends on which camera you use, to some extent.

David

The other thing that has to come in play here is if you wear specks. ....I will not wear specks when I begin to focus using the scope.... That is because I am farsighted and don't wear them in the field when I am scanning the territory.

So I swing the camera in place once bird is in scope and in focus. I look at the LCD on camera and this time because I have to wear my specks (far sightedness) I have to refocus once more using the scope. This also allows me to pinpoint my focus better since I use the magnification window on the camera. I take much better shots when the shot of the bird (head or eyes) is magnified and I fine tune focus that way....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back